Anemone

So basically the only reason i want one is for my clowns to host. But if its going to murder everything in my tank then i don't want that! But is it possible to get a type of coral perhaps(plate coral long tentacle) that looks like an anenome that the clowns can possibly host? Or if anything?

Alexforchange

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wouldnt worry so much. The nems arent hard to keep just adjust to them once they pick a spot. Lots of corals sting its just that the BTA will move to a spot that it likes in the tank.

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have seen clowns host in frogspawn, torch and hammer coral, also even in large candy cane branches. And Anthelia, which I can give you some of that for free if you would like.

Alexforchange

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ill post in one sec. Ive also seen lots of clowns hosting in torch and frogspawn. Just depends what you like in your tank. They also sting other corals like anemones, only dif is that they dont pick their spot..you do.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have an 18" toadstool that I've had host clowns before. They'll host rhodactis, hell, mine even host a flower pot (terra cotta flower pot, not a coral).

Ok so my cousin has two clowns and they hosted an open brain. And i think the clowns caused so much stress on the brain that it died???

Alexforchange

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
thanks man, if you like the BTA then get one imo. they are sweet sweet. in the pic of the tank you can see where mine ended up resting. it started on the other side of the tank and i assume went across a lot of the coral in the tank to get there and everything is fine. if for any reason your BTA rested on a piece of coral you can take him off and move the coral.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
PJ_Reefer_92;43493 said:
Ok so my cousin has two clowns and they hosted an open brain. And i think the clowns caused so much stress on the brain that it died???
That's definitely possible especially if you have some big thrashing clownfish like maroons or tomato clowns.

I have 3 little LTAs in my 29G Bicube and they don't move that much. They've never knocked over anything. I started out with 2 and now have 5.

what does stock lighting mean? I've had both a RBTA and a green BTA in my tank. Once they found the right place, they stay put. My green has been in the same spot for a year - he only moved once after initially placing him, and that was because I fell asleep at the wheel and the phosphate level crept up from zero to 0.6 - 0.8. Brought the phosphate back down, and he stopped moving. my lighting over the BTA is 250MH and low flow.

oh, one other thing that may help. you may not have the room in a NC, but I was able to have a small, isolated pile of rocks for my nem - it was surrounded by sand and the rocks did not touch any of my rocks in the rest of my tank. this helps (but may not completely disuade) the nem from moving to the rest of the rocks. BTA's aren't too keen crossing sandy areas. Long Tentacles are definitely different - they love the sand. I would look for 3 things in an area for a BTA to be happy - good to high lighting, lower flow, and nooks / crannies where the foot of the nem can get into and anchor and be protected. (some people have successfully used short 1 - 1 1/2 inch pieces of 1" of or so pvc to create a nice home to place the foot. didn't work so well for me on one of my forays when my rose bta split...)