Aptasia are appearing out of nowhere... peppermint shrimp?

So we've been trying to keep them in check with AptasiaX but apparently it's a losing battle. I've read there are two different kinds Caribbean and Pacific and to look for the Caribbean type for better aptasia control and less problem with them going after corals. Is this true? Also do they have to be in pairs/groups or will a single do? Stupid aptasia, what a pain in the butt.

Lisa and Bill

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
sealevel@altitude;242477 said:
Ours is a 50 gal corner tank... you mean you haven't seen the aptasia or the shrimp? I know they are rather reclusive during the day.
Yea, make sure to get the black tail peps. They are great workers. You may not see them but over weeks time you will see them disappear (the aiptasia that is).

Black tail... check. Are they pretty common? I just wrote to the local LFS to ask if they had any peppermints - not knowing a particular variety to ask about of course... just something that will eat up those aiptasia.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I thought the pacific ones had a green dot on their back.

Anyway, I have never had any success with them. I did throw a CBB in the tank about 2 months ago, and every single aptasia was gone in a week. I have never seen one since then. I know they are still there and would come back if I removed the CBB. As long as I can't see them though, I am happy.

Due to the way these things propagate (1 aptasia can grow back if even 1 single cell is left alive). It is impossible to rid your tank of them.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep I used all dry rock in my 90 and 1 frag that I never saw one had propagated my whole tank it's been an ongoing battle. My cbb doesn't touch them however eats frozen and is my fav fish of all time so regardless I'm happy :)

Derek, sorry to be so ignorant but what is a CBB?

Also glad to read you didn't lose anything in your tank with the heater problem. A year or so, we lost a whole bunch of coral and a few fish (including our treasured Mr. Woo, the mandarin). But it did get close to 90 if I recall.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CBB = Copper Band Butterfly

I love mine too...no more feather duster farm!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have found that the peps from the Florida Keys are the best. Not all of the species and kinds will take to aiptasia like others. The ones that I order from reeftopia always crush aips. If you LFS does not know where they were collected from, then I would pass on them.

Even the good peps won't always eat the big ones - you have to nuke them yourself.

There four species of Atlantic and Caribbean Peppermint Shrimp and all four species eat aiptasia. But for some reason, some "groups" choose not to, but will "learn" to if they're added to "groups" that do. All that we sale are collected from the Florida Key's by a guy that has collected for us for 30 years. Our customers have had pretty good success with ours eating aiptasia. Only the Pacific Peppermint Shrimp will not eat aiptasia!

Also we've had great success with Kleinii and Tahitian Butterflies eating aiptasia and MUCH hardier than Copperband Butterflies! We currently have Peppermint Shrimp and all the Butterflies in stock with more coming in tomorrow (Thursday 04/25/13)!

AllysonP;242548 said:
we bought an aptasia eating file fish and with a day the aptasia was gone in our tank. he is odd looking but seems to leave corals alone and now the aptasia is gone
File fish did the trick in my tank too. Peppermint shrimp and copper band didn't touch them.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member

I had really good luck with a pepper mint shrimp in my tank. Within a couple hours he devoured all the aiptasia. It depends on the species of peppermints though from what I hear.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Re: Aptasia are appearing out of nowhere... peppermint shrimp?

I have ran with a klein butterfly and have had 100 percent success. You do run a slight risk of coral munching but I have had two now and they have been perfect. Just my .02

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Huskyguy;242660 said:
File fish did the trick in my tank too. Peppermint shrimp and copper band didn't touch them.
Has the file fish touched any of your corals? Im worried about zoas.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
CBB, filefish, peppermints and even Kleini will not starve. If you don't feed them enough, they will all start to eat coral. They are not exclusive planktonic water column feeders. Some will even eat it anyway, and they always seem to know which coral is the most expensive.

jda123;242802 said:
CBB, filefish, peppermints and even Kleini will not starve. If you don't feed them enough, they will all start to eat coral. They are not exclusive planktonic water column feeders. Some will even eat it anyway, and they always seem to know which coral is the most expensive.
Pretty presumptious. Ive seen cbb's and peppermints that never touched coral ever. Everybody's fish and critter's act differently.