Aptasia are appearing out of nowhere... peppermint shrimp?

Swanny;242796 said:
Has the file fish touched any of your corals? Im worried about zoas.
Nope, I still have both of my file fish to keep my tank aptesia free and I have corals too with no problem.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Kleini, Tahitian, Copperbands, and filefish sound like great options but will they eat/harass other nems? I just had a few aiptasia show up in my DT and all of the fish options sound great I have always admired cbb, but eventually I'd like to add some nems. And which species of filefish are we referring to here?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Swanny;242804 said:
Pretty presumptious. Ive seen cbb's and peppermints that never touched coral ever. Everybody's fish and critter's act differently.
Quit feeding them and see what happens. The copper bands and kleini butterflies are corallivores in nature, but not obligate (although there is some argument as to if the CBB are actually obligate over the long term). I have had good experiences with all of them, but I feed my fish pretty well. I have taken on coral-eating CBBs in other reefs and they don't touch the coral in my tank when they get fed. I think that the hobbyist and their feeding habits has more to do with the success than the individual fish, although this could be said about many, many species.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;242809 said:
Kleini, Tahitian, Copperbands, and filefish sound like great options but will they eat/harass other nems? I just had a few aiptasia show up in my DT and all of the fish options sound great I have always admired cbb, but eventually I'd like to add some nems. And which species of filefish are we referring to here?
I have found the kleini and CBB to be very good if you keep them well fed with mysis and other meaty foods. If you starve them, they will either die or start to eat your coral - once they are established, they will usually not starve without a fight. Neither are 100% bet to eat aiptasia, but the kleini do a bit better IME. I have had about a 80% success rate.

Do a search for the filefish. There are two species that are very similar - one is better than the other - but I forgot their names.

jda123;242802 said:
CBB, filefish, peppermints and even Kleini will not starve. If you don't feed them enough, they will all start to eat coral. They are not exclusive planktonic water column feeders. Some will even eat it anyway, and they always seem to know which coral is the most expensive.
The "key" to your statement is "if you don't feed them enough"! It's very important to feed fish in a "reef system" about the same time everyday! Most captive fish will learn to take the "easy meal" if they know its coming and not bother your "expensive corals". After 50 years as a hobbyist and over 30 years as a professional in both retail and wholesale, I've found that the Aiptasia Eating Filefish to be the most notorious about "picking" at corals. But as I've told many of my customers "fish can't read and don't how they're suppose to behave"! We've had customer that had their Tangs find a liking to Zoa's!

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
i saw this thing called algae mower on youtube that would remove aptasia.read good reviews on it so im gonna order me one... saw it on ebay for 69 free shipping hope it really works..

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Aptasia are appearing out of nowhere... peppermint shrimp?

Rumen;242821 said:
i saw this thing called algae mower on youtube that would remove aptasia.read good reviews on it so im gonna order me one... saw it on ebay for 69 free shipping hope it really works..
Got a link I'm curious

Rumen;242821 said:
You have to be careful with Algae Mower Vac using them for aiptasia control! When using this and if any water that goes back into your tank it could spread the aiptasia. It takes ONLY one cell from the aiptasia to start a new colony!
P.S. We sell the Algae Mower Vac to our customers pre-order/pre-paid for $63.00!

Stzim

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Aptasia are appearing out of nowhere... peppermint shrimp?

I won an Algae vac at ReefStock. It's got what looks like a 1/16" stainless drill bit attached to a small motor/pump. The pump vacuums up what gets scraped off. A hose carries the water to a filter bag that you can place in the sump or a bucket. Kinda useful!

For Aptasia... Not so sure I'd go this route.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Would a filefish be mainly daytime active I assume? Anyone carry or can order them regularly? I know I can give some peppermints a try which I'll do from great white or finally make it in to visit charlies. But if that doesn't work want to plan my backup.

Now that I'm going to have 2 tanks I think I'd like to try the nudibranch since I can put my wrasse in a diff tank while they work.

I'm just slightly discouraged from reading some places that it's something I"ll never be able to cure. Damn you reef herpes.
I was given the idea to just ditch all the rock I have now, but too much of my stuff is so grown on I don't think clipping off zoa colonies and such is going to be an option. Not to mention not liking the idea of losing all my coraline. I suppose with new 125g tank I'll have enough room rather than stacking, each rock could be free allowing me to one at a time pick them out and obliterate all the aiptasia manually. (Burn and then cut a cone of rock out from around the remnants + rinse_

Aptasia are appearing out of nowhere... peppermint shrimp?

Just wanted to update this. I bought some peppermints from aquamart a few weeks back and the have decimated aptasia that were lower in my tank. They havent got them all but they are doing a good job so far. Havent touched a coral yet either. I had a few aptasia that were in between zoa colonies and the ate all those without touching my zoa colonies.

AllysonP

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I take it back!!!!!!!!!!!! So I put the file fish in my frag tank and immediately aptasia was gone, well about the same time I switched brands of light bulbs. Any who I started to noticed corals dying left and right. Well I thought it was the new bulbs. Yesterday I moved ole file to my other frag tank and today over $1000 in acans DEAD! The sob has been not only eating all the aptasia but are $1000s of dollars worth of corals. So it is safe to say I will be taking him back tomorrow

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
AllysonP;244500 said:
I take it back!!!!!!!!!!!! So I put the file fish in my frag tank and immediately aptasia was gone, well about the same time I switched brands of light bulbs. Any who I started to noticed corals dying left and right. Well I thought it was the new bulbs. Yesterday I moved ole file to my other frag tank and today over $1000 in acans DEAD! The sob has been not only eating all the aptasia but are $1000s of dollars worth of corals. So it is safe to say I will be taking him back tomorrow
That sucks Allyson, I had the same problem with mine he started picking at zoas. Granted I didn't want the ones he was eating so saves but as soon as they were gone I tried numerous times to catch him. Lets just hope it's not the mind blower acan

AllysonP

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;244502 said:
That sucks Allyson, I had the same problem with mine he started picking at zoas. Granted I didn't want the ones he was eating so saves but as soon as they were gone I tried numerous times to catch him. Lets just hope it's not the mind blower acan

yup he ate 2 mind blower frags, 2 high lighter frags and about 10 other acans. he also ate tons of zoas i caught him and threw him in my nano and i will be taking him back today grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry to hear, I almost bought one and now I'm glad I didn't. My peppermingts from Aquamart continue to eat Aptasia, I only have few left they haven't found yet. My corals are still untouched.

AllysonP

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Swanny;244565 said:
Sorry to hear, I almost bought one and now I'm glad I didn't. My peppermingts from Aquamart continue to eat Aptasia, I only have few left they haven't found yet. My corals are still untouched.

ya ill give to the jerk all the aptasia is gone out of my frag tanks i am just glad i didnt put him in my display with all my mothers