Ato reservoir

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
20 gallon clear rubbermaid from walmart. Used to use the 25lb clear dogfood container fr9m petco before I upgraded to a 125.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
This is what I use, as its tall and narrow. $13 @ Wally World

6 gallon water jug

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I use a 5g home depot bucket

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
After I used all of the salt, the 5 gallon bucket it came in. I drilled a hole in the lid for the tubing and built a wooden box to cover it. Looks great and is easy to refill.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket. Do you need something discrete? Will this be visible? I've seen some nice reservoirs hidden in ottomans that are hollow.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
RJ that would def work. What kind of ATO system are you using? Does it use an aqualiter pump?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What size is your tank?

I'd opt against an MJ1200 for the pump, depending on tank volume. Too much of a risk for it to empty the entire reservoir if a float sticks

I have the JBJ as well...and can walk you through creating a high/low failsafe with the floats if you're interested. Basically..if one float sticks you have a backup to shut off the pump. In short, you set the JBJ to the mode that allows for one float to be placed on the reservoir so that it would disable the ATO if the reservoir runs empty. Instead, you place that float in the sump and mount it upside down just higher than the other float...first float sticks and the second one will shut the pump down when the water hits it. Saved me a couple times already :)

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;312369 said:
What size is your tank?

I'd opt against an MJ1200 for the pump, depending on tank volume. Too much of a risk for it to empty the entire reservoir if a float sticks

I have the JBJ as well...and can walk you through creating a high/low failsafe with the floats if you're interested. Basically..if one float sticks you have a backup to shut off the pump. In short, you set the JBJ to the mode that allows for one float to be placed on the reservoir so that it would disable the ATO if the reservoir runs empty. Instead, you place that float in the sump and mount it upside down just higher than the other float...first float sticks and the second one will shut the pump down when the water hits it. Saved me a couple times already :)
Definitely interested. It's 29 biocube and I am going to use the stock biocube pump. I've heard that the aqua lifter burns the jbj unit.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
On my 28g JBJ I just used a 2 gallon cereal container with an Elos Osmocontroller. It worked great. I could pull it out a few inches to pop up the smaller lid to refill it.

The only downside was because it was so small I had to refill the reservoir every 2-3 days.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;312369 said:
What size is your tank?

+1 mj 1200 is way too big for your 29 gal. Get the brs 50mL/min dosing pump if that isnt out of your budget.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any additional info on the Aqualifter burning up the JBJ? I've been running that setup for over a year and haven't had any issues. FWIW...I do put the JBJ on a timer itself, so it is limited to running for 15 minutes every hour throughout the day.

That return pump is too big for the 29 gallon for sure though...I would look for another option. If the Aqualifter isn't to your liking, I'd say the 50ml doser zombie mentioned is a good choice too...cost is a bit higher though I think since the aqualifters are dirt cheap.

Regarding setting up the JBJ like I described, check out the manual here:

http://www.jbjlighting.com/pdfs/ATO_Manual.pdf

Set the ATO to Mode A.

Place sensor 1 in your sump (in this case, in your rear chamber) at your desired water level. This will trigger the pump to turn on when the water level drops, and it should shut the pump off as soon as your water level raises the float valve back up and the float contacts the switch.

Now take sensor 2 (the one the instructions say to put in your reservoir) and place it in your sump as well. You will want it to sit up higher than sensor 1. You will also have to modify the bracket so that you can mount the float switch upside down. What I did was just cut the bracket in half, flipped the end with the sensor on it upside down, and zip-tied it to the other half of the bracket that actually hangs on the edge of the tank. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, since Sensor 2 in Mode A is designed to protect the reservoir pump by shutting off the pump when the level gets too low...by flipping it upside down it will actually shut off when the water level gets too high. Sensor 2 should rarely operate since sensor 1 will be doing all the work...but it's there as a backup in case sensor 1 fails.

Let me know if that explains it well enough or you have more questions