Ato reservoir

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;312381 said:
Everyone here have good luck with aqualifter?
You have too much head loss for an aqualifter. They work great for up to 1ft but anything beyond that and they wont pump anything reliably. The best for your application is the brs doser since its independent of head, slow and consistent. If that is out of your price range, get an mj600.

bruby

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a couple of reservoirs that Fluid designs made and I love them. Everyone that comes over wants one and a few people down here in the Springs purchased one after seeing mine. I also have the IM Aqua Gadget ATO that I got from them as well. It is pretty sweet but I just got this one http://reefbuilders.com/2013/08/26/smart-ato-autoaqua-heating-arms-race-automatic-top-systems/ for my frag tank and it is awesome. I like it a lot better than the IM one and it is cheaper.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The JBJ can be set to shut off after 3 minutes 45 seconds of continuous operation. Set that pump up for 3 min 45 seconds (replicating the height it needs to pump), and check how much water it pumps.

If it is capable of pumping out enough water to overflow your tank, then I'd say yes it's too strong.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't mean to scare you away...it's just a balance of risk/reward. We can't foresee every potential issue or disaster with our tanks...but the more we can avoid the better off we are IMO. Float valves are notorious for sticking, so I'd just rather be safe than sorry :)

If you're feeling crafty...the Tunze Osmolator pump would be perfect for your application. Replacement pumps from that system are available for $25. Only issue is that they run on DC, and don't include a converter since they plug directly into the Tunze ATO (they come with bare wires, no plug). I'd seen a couple posts on other forums where people successfully wired them into a 12v cell phone adapter and ran the pump with other ATO systems. No experience with this myself, but it's an option. Posts I saw said the adapter they used was 12V 1ohm.

You could try using the pump you have on hand and maybe dial it back with a ball valve? Not sure how well that would work though since the pump may just give up if you're already close to the maximum head pressure on the ~200gph pump. Tee the outlet and divert some of the flow back into the reservoir? Lol just throwing out ideas at this point.

I think a peristaltic dosing pump is honestly your best bet...but yea, not the cheapest option.

Last edited by a moderator:

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
your head pressure isn't the same when you are relating it to 1/4" line. Some kits come with a pump while others don't. I am currently using a tunze, but there are quite a few others out there now. I used to run it from a 5g jug from wally world, but it looked really horrible next to my tank so I bit the bullet and picked up a really nice acrylic model from Fluid designers. I don't have a lot of left over space in the cabinet so it as to be on the outside.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Lift...qid=1401766844&sr=8-15&keywords=aquarium+pump

Here is a simple tom's pump that can be activated with any controller or ato system without a pump.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
kmellon;312428 said:
your head pressure isn't the same when you are relating it to 1/4" line. Some kits come with a pump while others don't. I am currently using a tunze, but there are quite a few others out there now. I used to run it from a 5g jug from wally world, but it looked really horrible next to my tank so I bit the bullet and picked up a really nice acrylic model from Fluid designers. I don't have a lot of left over space in the cabinet so it as to be on the outside.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Lift...qid=1401766844&sr=8-15&keywords=aquarium+pump

Here is a simple tom's pump that can be activated with any controller or ato system without a pump.
That one wont work for his setup.

JoshHill83

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use an RV water store tank. 9" x 16" x 26" tall. Works great. I USA a simple Toms aqua lifter. I find that they will siphon water if below the ATO water level so I keep the pump high, and feed it in to simple PVC that has a ton of holes drilled through the pipe on the bottom 6 or 7 inches. The container was about $30 online and holds 15 gallons.[attachment=66987:name]

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice suggestion on the RV water store! I've been looking for something that's rectangular in shape that holds more than a 5 gallon salt water bucket. Just ordered one on Amazon! Not to mention that it was the most affordable option I've come across.

JoshHill83;313580 said:
I use an RV water store tank. 9" x 16" x 26" tall. Works great. I USA a simple Toms aqua lifter. I find that they will siphon water if below the ATO water level so I keep the pump high, and feed it in to simple PVC that has a ton of holes drilled through the pipe on the bottom 6 or 7 inches. The container was about $30 online and holds 15 gallons. View attachment 19685

JoshHill83

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
chswkt;313611 said:
Nice suggestion on the RV water store! I've been looking for something that's rectangular in shape that holds more than a 5 gallon salt water bucket. Just ordered one on Amazon! Not to mention that it was the most affordable option I've come across.
Glad I could help. I spent hours looking for something and everyone kept suggesting a tall and thin trash can. This is the best option I have found and a hundred+ dollars less than anything I could find made out of acrylic. I'm working on one for my RSM 250 and should have it set up within the month with no modifications to the original tank and stand.