Been bored, so I made some chalice acan domes.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I already have my hands pretty full with two kids and a very challenging job teaching others about ceramics and such. I do enjoy making some stuff for our local Venders and myself. Maybe I'll expand someday...

If you can make domes with removeable plugs that are fired instead of cement I would buy them from you. I want a dome for everyone of my chalices to grow on but I want to be able to pop it off for easy fragging like the one I posted.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
subpotentjoe;133671 said:
If you can make domes with removeable plugs that are fired instead of cement I would buy them from you. I want a dome for everyone of my chalices to grow on but I want to be able to pop it off for easy fragging like the one I posted.
How are you going to remove the plug once it's encrusted over with this design?
[attachment=60554:name]

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
subpotentjoe;133671 said:
I could make you some if you like. I am jobless and have the time if Mike doesn't have the time.

rockys_pride;133675 said:
How are you going to remove the plug once it's encrusted over with this design?
View attachment 4226
They are designed for chalices. Chalices do not actually encrust so they can just be popped right off fragged and then put right back on the dome. The only place the chalice is permanently attached is on the plug where it is super-glued. There is also a youtube that shows this. I would post the link but I cant youtube at work...

Last edited by a moderator:

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I am making some now and they will need to be soaked, but I will do that here. How many would you want? I am going to make some just for the heck of it, like I said I am a little bored.

Let me know and I will set some a side for you and will let you know when they are finished.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
subpotentjoe;133692 said:
They are designed for chalices. Chalices do not actually encrust so they can just be popped right off fragged and then put right back on the dome. The only place the chalice is permanently attached is on the plug where it is super-glued. There is also a youtube that shows this. I would post the link but I cant youtube at work...
Yup you're right.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you mind sharing the ingredient list? You started off by saying you had the right mix - what is it?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Portland #5 cement and aragonite sand and water... I have also used crushed coral but I like the sand a lot more. As for the exact mix I never measure anything really and have just been off the color. I try to add as much sand as possible, so that frags don't look gray from the cement. After that I cure then in freshwater. i.e. back of toliet for a couple weeks and then soak them in old tank water for a few more days.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can also have some of mine if you just want a few. Looking for just trade for coral or a thank you...

Or any extra not being used tank supplies, I just set up a 20 gallon quarantine tank and need stuff...lol

Like HOB filter....

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Question is do I tell the Wife I have frag mounts curing in the back of the toilet?? Hmmmmm, I don't think so. Thanks for the list, I'll try it as I can see this beting better then smashing up base rock.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I never tell my wife either. The less she knows the better. lol

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just tell her that you are displacing water in the toilet tank to reduce the amount taht is used when you flush. Tell her that your doing something "green" lol

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
projectx;134025 said:
Just tell her that you are displacing water in the toilet tank to reduce the amount taht is used when you flush. Tell her that your doing something "green" lol
+1 that is a great reason.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
She'll just show me the electric bill and remind me how green I'm not. Still funny and really like the idea in this post. Thanks.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd purchase a few, if they have the fragplug hole and cut out, from you KhensuRa.

WAAAAAYYYY OT, but do any of you guys get this nice little letter from the electric company telling you that you are using over 200% more electricty then your neighbors? I get one every three months and am waiting for the swat team to knock down my door one day...

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will make some extra for you mark with the frag cut out. I'll let you know when they are ready.
[attachment=60896:name]

Last edited by a moderator:

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got that letter too and had the same thought about SWAT - thinking we're going some funny stuff. I had a neighbor ask me about the blue lights before.. got a good laugh off that.