brown alage or another tank cycle

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thought I would give an update today. the brown algae/diatoms have pretty much gone away. There is a little brown tint on the sand and on the back wall. This is what I have done to date

Added a sock of GFO
Added a sock of Carbon
Added Prime
No lights for 5 days

Hopefully this is a permanent fix. Today is the first day with the lights on so hopefully everything is good. Parameters have not changed. Everything is at a zero. I havent done a water change yet. Have to get salt today. The odd thing is all my zoas, mushroom, anemone and fish are doing just fine.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are the white swirls on the glass?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Snail eggs?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I would say snail eggs or possibily limpit eggs (if you have any of those in your tank). Its very likely becuase of the amount of time you had your lights off you sent the snails into a breeding frenzy. Lighting, temp and PH tend to factor into these types of behaviors.

My turbos lay eggs like this all the time, I dont think they ever get the chance to hatch as they usually disappear by the next day. At first I had no clue what they were, until I saw one doing it. They lay them in this wierd spiral type circle pattern.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is driving me crazy. I have to post this before the snails stuff. So i moved my cabinets on the side of my tank and my sand bed was grey to dark grey to kind of black. I had an ammonia spike today after everything was doing fine. Could my sand bed be dying off. Its only been alive for a couple of months? My ammonia level tonight was .25 and quickly did a 10% water change I hope that helps. the only way i new it was high because one of my fish was on the bottom and i decided to check my parameters again.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Is it all the sand or just that one area? If just that one area IMO you probably have a dead spot (there another word for it that is eluding me) which is allowing crap to build up there. I would increase flow in that area and invest in some sand sifting stars and those cool little snails they sell that live in the sand, again, names eluding me (been a looooooong day!). Add an HOB filter with a couple amonia scrubbers in it and run for a few days to help you combat the amonia spike until it goes back down.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Granted I can only see whats against the glass. Right side is about 10 inches long, center is about 8 and left side is about 5. on a 75 gallon 4 ft tank. I have some snails that go in the sand atleast they are in the sand or on the glass. Where could I pick up those star fish or maybe a sand sifting goby

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was wondering what was causing my spike. I could not find anything that was dead. Would this cause my ammonia spike in the tank? Is it a bad thing if i stir up my sand bed?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
It definatly could. If your wanting a goby, I would reccomend an engineer goby, he will definatly move the sand around. As for sifter stars, I was at Catfish Charlies last week and he had a few of them. You might check around on here as well.

Hows the flow in that area?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nasarius snails.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any LFS should have the nasarius snails. I know Aquatic Art has a sand sifting star. Not sure about the goby's. Call around to the stores near you.

Drew

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks. I live on the se side of town and that's the problem is there are no stores close by. Half a day trip here I come

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Todd's? Neptunes is off 470 & university. They aren't sponsors, but that's ok.

Drew

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What is wrong with my tank? My nitrate levels are up to around 20 ppm my ammonia is .25ppm. What is causing this? I have already lost 2 fish today and did a water change last night and these readings are from this morning? They were all 0 a few days ago.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Did you recently add any new rock that may of had some/a lot of die off by chance? Did you happen to stir up your sand bed pretty well? Anything die in the tank and not find it?