Cent36 nitrate issues

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Feed the fish like normal and let the cycle finish. It will take a while. Anything that you do to shorten it will cause issues later - there is no substitute for actual bacteria that can process the nitrate. Hold off on any inverts - the high nitrates during the cycle are not good for them.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;315699 said:
Feed the fish like normal and let the cycle finish. It will take a while. Anything that you do to shorten it will cause issues later - there is no substitute for actual bacteria that can process the nitrate. Hold off on any inverts - the high nitrates during the cycle are not good for them.
snails can handle high nitrates no prob, just no shrimp yet. I wouldnt feed the fish "normal" feedings until your nitrates go down. feed them a reduced amount, which the 3 flakes each per day is a good starting point. "normal" feeding for small clowns is roughly 6 pellets each twice a day or 1/2 cube of frozen once a day.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks soooo much to everyone for your help. Hopefully I'm not "that guy"

So, I was also talking to the young lady at Neptune's the other day about my situation and picking up a few "toys" (refractometer and tds tester). She very specifically told me that I needed to do a 70% water change which is contrary to what you guys are saying. She seemed super knowledgeable and was the head of the saltwater area under the owner so I can only assume she knows what she is talking about....but why the 180 opposite info? I told her that I was on this site and the info that I had been given along the way and she agreed with everything except this.

What's the disconnect? Or is it just a different way of doing business?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cent36;315984 said:
Thanks soooo much to everyone for your help. Hopefully I'm not "that guy"

So, I was also talking to the young lady at Neptune's the other day about my situation and picking up a few "toys" (refractometer and tds tester). She very specifically told me that I needed to do a 70% water change which is contrary to what you guys are saying. She seemed super knowledgeable and was the head of the saltwater area under the owner so I can only assume she knows what she is talking about....but why the 180 opposite info? I told her that I was on this site and the info that I had been given along the way and she agreed with everything except this.

What's the disconnect? Or is it just a different way of doing business?
Well, there are 2 thoughts going on here. Most of us on the forum feel that your cycle hasn't finished, and we don't want you to do anything to prolong the cycle any longer than it needs to be. Iv think the person at the lfs thinks your cycle is done snd your nitrates are just that high ( which is a possibility) and wants you too knock them down. If your cycle was fine, then her advice is correct, the bigger the water change, the more you'll knock your nitrates down. But I think you should wait another week and test again to see I'd the nitrates fall naturally

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bad idea to do a 70% waterchange with livestock in the tank. If you were still fallow, a 50% water change wouldnt be a half bad idea, but since you have fish in there I would limit it to 20% per week. One exception is if anything reaches toxic or close to levels, then a 50% is merited.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haulin Oates;315991 said:
Well, there are 2 thoughts going on here. Most of us on the forum feel that your cycle hasn't finished, and we don't want you to do anything to prolong the cycle any longer than it needs to be. Iv think the person at the lfs thinks your cycle is done snd your nitrates are just that high ( which is a possibility) and wants you too knock them down. If your cycle was fine, then her advice is correct, the bigger the water change, the more you'll knock your nitrates down. But I think you should wait another week and test again to see I'd the nitrates fall naturally
+1

A stable, fully cycled system with an anomaly like this would handle a large water change, where a partially cycled tank would not respond well to that at all.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK, cool!

I did see a slight spike in numbers (very slight) when the fish went in, but they are back to normal except for the nitrates still (PH-8.2, Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrates-60)

I will keep monitoring the numbers every other day for another week like Haulin Oats suggested to see what is going on AND I am due to complete a 10-15% water change this weekend, so......we will see (I also added chaeto so hopefully that helps)

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haulin Oates;315991 said:
+1 to this post! You are lucky if you find only 2 differing opinions in this hobby..seriously. :)

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I think I am starting to see my brown algae bloom. There are little (approx. 1/4 inch) brown patches popping up all over. On the glass, on the rocks, shells, etc....good signs.

did another 10-15% water change yesterday. no change in the nitrates yet, but hopefully.......

Vdubjetta01

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yay for diatoms, is there anywhere in your system where detritus can be getting trapped or a build up of it? Cause although your at the end of the cycle or close too, your water changes should have an affect on the nitrates.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It will probably take a few water changes before you see a difference on an api test kit. They are hard to read accurately especially at the high range. If you check it with a red sea or salifert test kit and you dont see a noticeable difference week to week, then detritus buildup could be a possibility

Just an off the wall question and it may have been posted earlier but I missed reading it...are you getting your top off/water change water from an RO/DI source or using tap water? What does your TDS meter say about your source water?

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;316359 said:
It will probably take a few water changes before you see a difference on an api test kit. They are hard to read accurately especially at the high range. If you check it with a red sea or salifert test kit and you dont see a noticeable difference week to week, then detritus buildup could be a possibility
The way my sump is built, the water overflows the skimmer section and then flows UP through crushed coral into my refugium section as a type of natural filtration. I changed out my filter floss today. It was turning a dingy brown.
Just an off the wall question and it may have been posted earlier but I missed reading it...are you getting your top off/water change water from an RO/DI source or using tap water? What does your TDS meter say about your source water?
Not sure if i did post it or not. Originally I had to use conditioned tap water because I didn't have and couldn't afford an RO system. I have since bought one and installed it. TDS readings are 315 in and 0-3 out.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
cent36;316363 said:
The way my sump is built, the water overflows the skimmer section and then flows UP through crushed coral into my refugium section as a type of natural filtration. I changed out my filter floss today. It was turning a dingy brown.
Take out the crushed coral in that section. It will end up becoming a detritus trap and nitrate factory in a few months and put you jn a high nitrate spiral you cant get out of. The filter floss can also become a problem too if you arent on top of replacing it every week.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Isn't that what the skimmer should take care of? What if I vacuum it or mix it up once a week? Isn't it the same as if i just had an overflow refugium?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
cent36;316371 said:
Isn't that what the skimmer should take care of? What if I vacuum it or mix it up once a week? Isn't it the same as if i just had an overflow refugium?
The skimmer only gets dissolved organics. Any large particles can get trapped in the crushed coral and will decompose. Any food that is uneaten and decomposes generates upwards of 10x more ammonia than food that is eaten by fish or cleanup crew. Without the crushed coral in there, any food that makes it down to the sump will make ot to the refugium and be eaten by copepods and worms instead of decomposing.

Last edited by a moderator:

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
but flowing UP through the coral, it never makes it to the critters that eat it?

A friend of mine said that the best fuge/sump he ever had was this style on his 125G tank. He DID say that I would eventually have to put a CUC in there.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
cent36;316374 said:
but flowing UP through the coral, it never makes it to the critters that eat it?

A friend of mine said that the best fuge/sump he ever had was this style on his 125G tank. He DID say that I would eventually have to put a CUC in there.
The only critters ot will make it too are the ones in the crushed coral. Very few sand dwelling organisms like high flow, so most will be in the fuge or display.

I used to use a similar system using bioballs instead of crushed coral and 6 months in things got out of control with nitrates upwards of 20. I took the bioballs out without changing feeding or husbandry and nitrates dropped from between 20 and 40 to less than 1 in two months.