Clowninaround7474's 60g cube build

I should add that the tank had already cycled when the scooter went in but the sand was still sticky as heck. Don't want anyone to think i used him as my lab monkey lol.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I tried isom some Clarity from Seachem a week or so ago... Again it bonds to particles making them heavy to sink or being caught by the filter media... Absolutely no change at all... All it did was **** my skimmer off and turn my filter socks copper color!!

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
FINALLY!! Haha. I went away for Thanksgiving and came home to find a tank that is crystal clear! Ammonia is down to 0, Nitrites are almost 0 and the Nitrates are near 15.

Ill be gone for another 2 weeks for work, but once I get back I hope for the cycle to be completed and I can get a CUC in there. I am still "feeding" the tank with pellets every few days. They look to be breaking down to nothing within a few days.

At this point, I have been putting a fish list together, what do you think? Any suggestions?

1. Pair of designer clowns of some kind
2. 4-6 green chromis (I have always liked how they school when in groups)
3. Leopard Wrasse (this will be an addition down the road once the tank is more established)
4. I have always wanted to get a small blonde naso tang (I know the tang police will chime in) but my neighbor has a 125g that it would be transfered to when it gets too big.

I love my chromis so yes vote on them. They like to pretend they are anemone fish at night and stay in a tight cluster by my nems.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lights are up, levels are down to 0, and the tank is progressing! I picked up some chromis today and so far they appear happy. It was cool to see small critters crawling all over the glass when the lights turned on!! Too bad the chromis are eating all of them from the glass haha!

Lights are running very low right now 35% intensity trying to not shock the system. I am expecting a diatom and algae bloom of some kind here in the future. I'm hoping for an ATO and MP10wes for Xmas which should be good also.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is the light mount that I picked up from Reefkoi... this thing is badass and the power cord tucks right into the mount itself. Super clean, quality construction and I would recommend picking one of these up if you are thinking about how to mount a light.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Kris. Its hard to tell in this picture but there are two main spires that are connected with a rock that forms a natural looking arch. I think it turned out nice and should allow for growth of the corals. None of the rock is touching the glass or back of the tank.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
its a mesh top. I used a clear 1/4" acrylic mesh and a screen kit. It turned out pretty nice

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have always wanted a blue spotted jawfish and I know they like to carpet surf. I figured it gives a nice clean look also

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well the fish seem to be getting comfortable and are eating fine. Nitrates came up to about 2 but dont seem to be climbing from there. I was anticipating a bit of a spike but am sure the bacteria will continue to build and take care of them. I added some astrea snails, nassarius snails and a fire shrimp also. I will be taking it slow from here and let things mature.

I am starting to see some diatoms pop up in the tank which I was also expecting now that I have a light running over it. I also am expecting an algae bloom of some kind here in the future just hoping it is not too bad. I am running my lights at 40% and will slowly increase that over the next few months.

I am hoping my ATO is sitting under the tree with an MP10wes... but we will see.

What are your thoughts on running just 1 MP10? Do you think I will need 2?

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank dimensions are 24x24x24.

I have been been looking at the wp's but I'm really into the wireless capabilities of the mp's. I also like that no cords or mechanics are actually inside the tank and on the dry side.

I decided against the hydra light and went with a Radion Pro, so I'd like to have everything sync together (lights and pumps). Also I have a battery backup for the mp's already

lsaint

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think I have seen some mp10 Fs on scams for 150 idk if it was wireless but u can get the chip to make them wireless. That's what I did

Sent from my HTC 8XT on the Sprint network using Tapatalk

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ran 2 mp10s on my 28 cube at about half. It was mostly sps. I personally would do two 10s on your 60. It was What I was planning on doing until I decided on sea swirls so I didn't have to worry about my nems.

you could do 1 40 as well and run it lower but I think you'd get overall better coverage with two 10s. I just sold one of mine for $150 I have one more but I think I'm going to keep it to wire through a relay to only run during power outage. If I can come up with another method using a tunze nano stream I have I'll let you know if your interested in it. It's wireless of course.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea I'm thinking 2 will be the way to go. Kris, of course I'm interested just let me know! Again, I'm hoping one of these is already under the tree but who knows!!