Deep Water BLDC Series Pumps

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone have experience with them? Price isn't too bad for a DC pump and if their specs and flow curves are right, they could be exactly what I'm looking for.

Even searched over at the notoriously cranky ReefCentral and haven't found anything...

Link to Salty Supply

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, I bought a BLDC-15 at Reefstock. I have to change some plumbing to get it ready to rock. I'll keep this thread updated with how it goes.

Up to 4000gph at 0' head at 144W is crazy. I think I might consolidate a 4-pump system down to 2. (Don't worry -- I have backups.)

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
$20 off and no tax so roughly a $50 discount.

Ok so what this ramp chart says is this pump does not lose any head pressure until the 23' threshold. Wow. I think I need one of these in my life.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep! I'm going to try to plumb it in tomorrow...we'll see!

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh, and they sell a whole host of other models that aren't so crazy powerful.

I had to run by Aquatic Art today afterwards to get a 2" bulkhead to plumb it up. I'd considered doing a 3x1" into a single 2" but didn't want to drill that many holes in my sump. The manual was pretty specific about *not* limiting intake volume/size.

I don't really care to be the beta tester but for the price to performance to power ratio, I couldn't pass it up. There are a couple of local shops carrying them. Support your LFS!

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Same here. Prepping the plumbing right now. You can hear the 100PX I have running right now through the wall. Looking forward to this build. Taking pics.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Following along. I love the idea of DC Pumps but they don't all have the capabilities I'm looking for. Im going to have to research this more. I'm curious to see how controllable it is.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am hoping to have it installed today. I have to go buy a bigger holesaw (2.75") and one more plumbing part...after shoveling.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Today was productive -- I got my sump moved, got holes drilled, and got the pump plumbed up and running. Big thanks to Aquatic Art for having a 2" bulkhead in stock and selling it to me (along with some other miscellaneous parts) Saturday evening.

My basement equipment room is under the stairs -- taking any more space in the finished basement was met with quite a lot of resistance from my wife. So while I have more room available than what is under the stand of my 150, I don't have a ton more room. When I built this system, I knew I'd upgrade it eventually and add in a refugium which has been purchased but not installed. For some odd reason buying salt water today was difficult.

This morning I got up with full intentions of plumbing in the BLDC-15 and moving my sump. My 19 month-old son helped.

First things first -- the BLDC-15 next to the PX-200 originally intended for this purpose:(new for sale)
[attachment=68637:name]

I shut down the existing 100PX and disconnected and cleaned my sump (Trigger Systems Ruby-36S). Then it was 3" hole drilling time.
[attachment=68638:name]

Fast-forward, the 2" bulkhead is installed, plumbed up to a single-union valve. (I'd rather have had a true-union valve but Lowe's didn't have one in 2".) The outlet of the pump is plumbed 1.5" to a 1.5" tee which is bushing-ed down to 1" on two outlets. The top outlet goes to the return and the side goes to a 3-valve 1" manifold. I built a small pump stand out of some scrap since my 60" sump stand isn't long enough for all the plumbing AND the sump. The pump looks pretty small with all that 2" and 1.5" pipe attached.

[attachment=68636:name]

3-valve angle-mounted PVC manifold feeding the BRS reactor and soon a refugium

[attachment=68639:name]

Handy-dandy BRS reactor running GFO and GAC:
[attachment=68640:name]

Shot of the sump on the bottom level of the DIY stand.

[attachment=68641:name]

I feel I must apologize for the quality of the lighting, my plumbing, (I'm a computer scientist by education and a salesman by profession) and my crap iPhone shots.

Anyway, first impressions: I run about 18' of head pressure (including elbows, height, and constrictions) which the BLDC chart says should push roughly 800 GPH which is more than I'm getting. Roughly I'm pushing 500GPH. Now, my plumbing goes down to 1" up to the main level of my house and I have some 3/4" tubing up there which I was going to replace today but ran out of spaflex. The pump itself is amazingly quiet and is easily drowned out by the sound of the eheim running my skimmer and the sound of the water falling back into the sump. At this point I am quite happy with it. Now to make the rest of the return plumbing more efficient. Interesting enough: when I opened the valves for the reactors, the return flow upstairs did not decrease.

I'll update this thread when that's done! Anyone got about 10' of 1" spaflex to sell?

Thanks!
Adam

Great progress. Having just done a similar project I know the difficulty in this. I think I procrastinated 2 weeks before I finally got moving.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks! This is something I've been procrastinating on for quite some time. The DC pump finally kicked my arse into gear. Cris had the part I needed to make it happen and Lowe's had the rest. Only made two side-trips to the Ace by my house to buy first the wrong size hole saw, then second the correct size hole saw. These kinds of things happen when your toddler is along and threatening to start emptying shelves. If you were at reefstock midday Saturday, he was riding around on my shoulders and got his pic taken by My Reef Creations in that massive sump.

Here he is taking selfies with me a couple of weeks ago:
[attachment=68643:name]

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Quick update -- up and running for 24 hours now. Quiet, efficient, and powerful. As an aside, it could not overcome the head pressure below speed 4 of 6. I run it on full power at 6.

Curious if anyone else has implemented it...