Deep Water BLDC Series Pumps

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another update:

Still pretty impressed here. This weekend I installed my 2X 400W MH bulbs and removed the AI Hydras. (31" deep tank.) Instead of plumbing another pump into the system to cycle on/off as originally intended, I just decided to plumb the chiller off my 3x1" manifold and crack it open. My goal was roughly 250-300 GPH through the 1/4 hp Aqualogic chiller.

So this pump is now running (reliably)

500 gph return with 18" (roughly) head
250-300 gph chiller circuit (1/4hp Aqualogic DeltaStar.)
200 gph BRS Reactor (GFO/GAC.)

Next weekend's project: re-plumb part of the return and get rid of the 3/4" plumbing and replace a 1" tru-union valve. Will probably install a standard ball valve with unions. Need to order some more 1" spa flex this week.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll video it tomorrow when the chiller isn't running. (It's running right now to cool off the MH heat.) I'll tell you this though -- subjectively it's tough to hear over the skimmer pump and the drain from the DT. With the door to the equipment room closed, you don't really hear it at all.

It runs fairly warm although less so than the PW 100PX it replaced. The 24V power supply is pretty large and puts out a fair amount of heat. The fins on the back of the controller are luke-warm to the touch and the motor is warm but not hot.

Someday I'll buy one of those optical thermometers and get accurate readings. At this point it's by feel.

Thats good to hear. My sump room is also in a basement and my reeflo is sitting in a cool unfished room. Im pretty sure thats the only reason i havent had heat issues. So the brushless motors are less prone to breakdown due to fatigue on moving parts, correct?

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, I think that's the general idea. I started reading an engineering article on the sine-wave motor controller and eventually got bored. It's quiet, it's smooth, and at this point I'm happy.

I'm pretty sure my heat problems are my Tim Taylor tendencies. 800W of MH on 150g DT. (insert manly grunts here) ;)

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
How the heck does one edit their posts???

Anyway -- I was going to say: I'll probably buy another BLDC-15 and plumb it up so it's quick/easy to swap out. Since I have so much riding on a single point of failure, I feel a backup is a must. It'll probably just be a cold standby sitting next to the running pump...don't really have the space to fully plumb another one into my sump without additional risk. Also considering replacing my skimmer pump with a BLDC7.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Unfortunately my 6 month-old BLDC-15 pump failed today. The power supply stopped doing what it was designed to do (provide power.) It's going to take several days to get another so I 'upgraded' a bit.

New return pump (for my 16' head pressure use case) is a new Dolphin Diamond Amp Master 6250. I'll have to figure out how much it's pushing but I'd say it's WAY bigger than the BLDC-15 and is quieter to boot. Big thanks to Cris at Aquatic Art for helping me out and meeting me over there!

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, I might be a bit boned. DeepWater Aquatics has been super helpful thus far however I bought my BLDC-15 at the show back in February from their rep working with Stone and as such have no receipt showing any sort of paper trail. Stone also doesn't have any sort of paper trail on it and I paid cash. At this point I'm at a bit of a dead end...unless anyone has any suggestions, my relatively expensive BLDC-15 might go in the garbage and its price paid go toward tuition at the school of hard knocks.

Still, the Dolphin is a better pump with far more power than I need and only slightly more power usage. (It's also noticeably quieter.)

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd imagine there's a blown cap or two in the power supply. I'll reach out to DW again tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions. Maybe it'd be good as a backup if I can get another PS.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Probably something blown in the power supply, I keep a ton of different ones around just for this sort of thing though the controllability probably would dissappear.