Dinoflagellates... Son of a...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jgonzz;211882 said:
That's funny! I was cleaning a cut the other day with H2O2 and was thinking "there's got to be an aquarium use for this!" Can you explain more, or tell me where to read?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow!! What a read!! Got about 10 pages in... Seemed legit enough; 6ml just got dumped in the tank... We shall see...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just put in 6 mL more... Seems to be having a positive effect on the tank. Some of my softies are ****ed, but the LPS and SPS don't seem to mind.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Here are some crappy before cell pics. You can see the bubbles trapped in there all over. I've been dealing with this for a few weeks now, and it came on really strong last week. It's a horrible slime that coats everything! You can blow it off with a baster, but it comes back really quick. (Within a day or 2) ill try to bust out the camera later when the whites come on and get some good pics.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
[attachment=63182:name]
heres some pix from the water proof camera. you can see the brownish/greenish slime coating everything and the bubbles trapped in it on the frag rack.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, it seems its working! I came down this morning to find far less than I have been seeing! I upped the dose to an even 10ml and I will continue that dose for 3 days past the last of it, I've decided. I also read from Melevs reef that he had success with elevated pH, so I've stop kalk in my top off (which I had just started about a month ago) and went back to 2 part. I feel I have more control over my levels, and I can dose a little more alkalinity (baked baking soda mix) to elevate my pH to 8.5. I'm hesitant to go much over that...

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Blazinjack;212016 said:
Some of my softies are ****ed, but the LPS and SPS don't seem to mind.
What did the Peroxide do to them?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh and I think I've found the cause... The funky colored pebbles I put In the tank do in fact have a silicate sealant on them to hold the color on... I think the phosphate/silicate reducer (phosgaurd) has been busy keeping my silicates at bay and that's why my repeated attempts at lowering my phosphates have failed... As soon as I get a free day ill be swapping my sand out...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghosty;212493 said:
What did the Peroxide do to them?
I'm not sure yet what ****ed them off, but they are all happy again today... As of today (knock on wood) I haven't lost anything!

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Blazinjack;212495 said:
Oh and I think I've found the cause... The funky colored pebbles I put In the tank do in fact have a silicate sealant on them to hold the color on... I think the phosphate/silicate reducer (phosgaurd) has been busy keeping my silicates at bay and that's why my repeated attempts at lowering my phosphates have failed... As soon as I get a free day ill be swapping my sand out...
All i can say is LOL, I remember when you first put pix up of the tank and I remember asking if those colored pebbles were reef safe, seems they were not.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;212512 said:
All i can say is LOL, I remember when you first put pix up of the tank and I remember asking if those colored pebbles were reef safe, seems they were not.
Yeah... The package said fresh or marine systems... But I guess they're wrong... Oh well, live and learn!

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;212547 said:
Yeah... The package said fresh or marine systems... But I guess they're wrong... Oh well, live and learn!
They proably would be fine in a fo but a reef needs to be spot on and can't have the fluctuation!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

So I'm still battling these SOBs... I did a huge tank cleaning Saturday night and installed my new MP10. The flow seems to be helping, But I noticed another problem... It seems my Pod population has been devastated! I'm used to seeing them crawl around everywhere in my fuge, now I'm hardly seeing any!! Yikes!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Lost my mandarin today... Thinking about throwing in the towel