Dinoflagellates... Son of a...

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hopefully lights out while running new carbon, gfo, and carbon dosing will decimate my nutrients and i can bring it back up to .03

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

09bumblebee;214993 said:
Hopefully lights out while running new carbon, gfo, and carbon dosing will decimate my nutrients and i can bring it back up to .03
Well, let us all know, so we all have more options when this stuff rolls around!

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;215070 said:
dang what am I invisible? I already let you know lol
I don't think he's referring to lights out Gabe. Hobbyist have been doing this for years. I think he means carbon dosing.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;215098 said:
I don't think he's referring to lights out Gabe. Hobbyist have been doing this for years. I think he means carbon dosing.
carbon isnt new either there buddy. :p and i stand by my earlier text. no funny bone in sight

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

No, I just meant his experience in general with getting rid of Dino's. the more statistical data on what works vs what didnt, the better!

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Dinoflagellates... Son of a...

Keep the info coming because I just started the fight myself yesterday. My dinos cover half my rock and noticed how thick and wavy it was yesterday when I put a power head in it. Started 10ml/10 gallons with a three day black out period. 220 total gallons

Sent from Earth

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well lights out didn't work. I've heard of uv sterilizer's working to get rid of it. I'm going to look into it.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
deboy69;215817 said:
Keep the info coming because I just started the fight myself yesterday. My dinos cover half my rock and noticed how thick and wavy it was yesterday when I put a power head in it. Started 10ml/10 gallons with a three day black out period. 220 total gallons

Sent from Earth
I am on my last day of three day black out. Dozing Peroxide 1ml/10gallon along with it. Can 10ml/10gallons be too much?

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;215818 said:
Well lights out didn't work. I've heard of uv sterilizer's working to get rid of it. I'm going to look into it.
dang that's a bummer to hear. did you start with just actinics, yyou're only supposed to use them for a day or so after a lights out

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

reeftankulous;215819 said:
I am on my last day of three day black out. Dozing Peroxide 1ml/10gallon along with it. Can 10ml/10gallons be too much?
That's what the article I read dosed at.

Sent from Earth

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;215821 said:
dang that's a bummer to hear. did you start with just actinics, yyou're only supposed to use them for a day or so after a lights out
No I'd have to reprogram the ai and that's to much work lol. Going to to turn gfo off for a few weeks to see if its high iron feeding a type of Algea?

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Quick update on my battle with dino... So after 3 day blackout and 5 days of dozing peroxide at 1ml/10gallons the tank looks a lot better. The sand bed is completely clean and i only have a few small patches of that stuff on a couple of rocks. Going to keep dozing for two more days and keep my fingers crossed this nastiness doesn't come back any time soon.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Found some popping back up on my back glass this weekend in the 20 long...hadn't noticed it until I went to clean the tank and some detritus stuck to it. This is the second time it's popped up...the first time I solved the problem my adding the mp10. This time I ended up doing a 3-day blackout...today is day 3. I checked last night and it seems to be working. I'm going to run just blues for a couple days until I can mod my filter and try to get a little fuge going to see if that helps. Although I'm sure there are multiple factors that can contribute to an outbreak, I'm pretty sure the cause in my case is the pH drop at night. If the fuge doesn't solve the problem, I may try to run my tank without the glass top...but that will definitely mean hooking up an ATO to my system because I'll end up getting a lot of evaporation and would rather not do large daily top offs in such a small volume of water.

I haven't changed anything in the tank recently that would've caused the outbreak, and have an extremely small bioload...the only difference between now and a month ago is that it was unseasonably warm at the start of December, and I had the windows in that room opened for most of the day.

Edit: I did find one other issue...my salinity had crept up to like 1.028 somehow...I must have mixed my salt incorrectly a couple weeks ago. That's what I get for doing a WC with a fever, lol. I'm not sure if a low DOC would've contributed as well, but it's a possibility for sure. I corrected that too, so hopefully it helps solve the problem. Checked my refractometer, and it's calibrated...ordered some new DI resin for my RO/DI as well...it's been about 5 months since replacing it; I may start replacing it every 3 months since cyano seems to pop up in my other tank on a 3 month schedule after changing my filters and resin.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Stay strong just uncovered my tank and wow. It's almost all gone and I don't think my water has been cleaner looking than it is now. Keep up the fight. I might do some research on dosing peroxide occasionally

Sent from Earth

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;214718 said:
That stinks man. Wish I had some good advice. I assume you already did the 3 days of darkness bit? I'm having similar algae issues with my sand. I will never do black sand again... Anyway if there's anything I can do for you please let me know.
so what kind of algae do you have with black sand? i was thinking of doing black sand.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

At the first sign of it reappearing in my tank, I cracked a window in that room...haven't seen it since.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I still have little outbreaks. I agree with Khalis, the warmer weather has helped. I also stopped dosing h2o2 because I needed my pods back for my new mandarin. Right now I just use a turkey baster whenever I see a bit of it popping up.