djkms Ocean Adventure (detail, picture intensive)

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those measurements are at 100%/100%

The fixture is now 23" from the water surface and intensity set accordingly. They are getting the exact same amount of PAR as before for the most part. A bit more spotlighting but it will do.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey Kris, how's the light front to back?
Three of those modules light up six feet better than I thought it would.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think front to back is pretty good with them mounted sideways. Its been tricky getting 3 units to do a 6ft tank but now that I have the PAR meter its really helping me dial in the fixture. I submitted a ticket into AI to get some 40 optics for the sides. With the fixture being 23" high I think the 70s are a waste.

I was pretty shocked at how low the PAR readings were with all 70 optics. Now that I put the 40's back in im pretty happy. Now im going to spend a few weeks bringing the PAR up. If you ever want to come check out the fixture let me know.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cool......I'd like to check it out. Do they offer different optics setups? I thought they were sold with 70's and 40's automatically. They really don't go into detail on their site.
Are the 40 degree optics normally on the XP-G's as sold?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Gen2's come standard with 70 optics on the sides and 40 in the middle. AI sells 4 optic pucks for $25, so thats $25 per module to change to all 40 or 70. There is no way to order all 40's or 70's from them already in the fixture. I did ask if they planned to sell the fixtures that way and they said no. I think the all 70's work great if you use the recommended amount of fixtures for your tank (12" per unit) but I just cant afford that!! I only planned on $1500 for my lights when building my system.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hmmmmm....I was worried about using five on my seven foot tank, but now that I see yours, that may work out fine :)
Can you take some PAR readings with JUST the blues on? I heard even the blues throw out some awesome PAR numbers.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Will do Gale. I will probably wait until Ai sends me the 40 degree optics. I sent in my 70's and they are exchanging for the 40's free of charge. I must say, the couple times I have dealt with AI they have been nothing short of amazing! I am hoping to have them mid next week.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well this sucks. If its not one damn thing its another with this hobby.

So Dictoya has been taking over my tank :mad:

I get home from work and one of my clams is all ticked off

O it doesn't end there. 2 more SPS are STN'n

O and of course my parameters are stable and on target. No signs of pests either.

Some days I just want to PBITAWA

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If I can house anything for you, let me know, somtimes its good to have a place to send a much loved coral till we get an issue worked out, hope the dictoya gets better for you, thats one I beat by just staying on top of it.
BTW~thanx for the new ackronym

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Aaron, I appreciate that. Not sure how to tackle the dictoya situation. I suppose the only option I have it to pull out each rock and scrub it down. I really do not want to tear apart my reef to do so but I guess I have no other choice. I think my SPS problem is the fact that my tank is just not ready for it yet and buying wild colonies is not helping. Not sure why the clam is ticked off, hopefully it comes around.

Everything else is doing great, the SPS that havent RTN'd and STN'd seem happy and have good PE. All my LPS have been doing great. All my zoas have been happy except the mohawks have really shrunk.

If I need to house some stuff I will let you know, thanks again.

It sucks when things go wrong and you can't figure out what's going on. I lost my milleporas while everything else was doing great a while ago.

Now everything else is doing well, algae is getting less and less, sps is growing but a brain I have is having issues.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This hobby sure does test your patience heh. On my last tank if something went wrong I would freak out and try to fix this or fix that and it would only make the situation worse. This time around I am trying to do a different approach and kind of just let things happen. It sucks to lose a coral but what sucks worse is I feel like I am just flushing $50 bills down the toilet! Now with this Dictoya I don't know what to do. I really don't want to tear apart my tank to clear it out, its probably on half of my rocks. From what im reading this crap is worse then caulerpa. Im thinking maybe pulling out all my macros and using algaefix marine but I really hate using chemicals...what to do what to do. I was also thinking of just buying more rock and trading pieces out... O and the last thing I want to do is stress out my Idol. That fish is the most important thing to me in my tank, nothing gets done without his approval :)

So I did a quick search and you might want to try a scribbled rabbit fish or tang before you go the chemical route. Agu at RC, he got a Naso tang that cleaned out the dictoya and I can't keep macros in my tank because my Naso and Hippo tang destroy them. I've also seen my orange spotted diamond goby take chunks out of Caulerpa Mexicana.

Yeah you'll have to move them to your sump. It's a good alternative to chemicals though and by the sound of it, if you try and remove it by hand, you'll just end up spreading it. Nasty stuff.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah I saw that. Funny thing is I noticed my heater broke last night (no not stealth, titanium) and it wont heat the water. My temp has been around 76 all day, maybe it will work?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I was at CrisC's house picking up a tuxedo in hopes it would help with my dictoya issue and left with a Mandarin and another Yellow Wrasse. Thanks Cris! The wrasse is already out hunting and so is the Mandarin. His house is dangerous, its the type of place I could lose a paycheck at. I have to have restraint there. As a matter of fact I don't think I have ever really seen something there I don't like! Anyways I will post what the tuxedo is doing so far in the dictoya thread.

Gale, I will get some PAR numbers up as soon as my 40 optics come in, should be mid to end this week.