Driftwood help pls

So I have decided to convert my 130 gallon flagstone set up to a drift wood set up, what per-cautions should I take? I have the wood soaking right now, and I'm wondering what I should do with my cichlids during the change over? Is there going to be a huge change in water parameters? And also should I wait and cycle the tank with the driftwood in it??

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I have done all of the same things with cichlid tanks in the past. As long as you have good buffering capacity, you should be fine. I would put a large piece of wood in the tank for the start of the cycle. Ad the fish when you are ready and keep adding more wood every few days until it is all in the tank. I used crushed aragonite in filter bags and placed it in my sump. If you don't have a sump you can put aragonite in a canister filter as well. This will help yo keep the pH up. You may need a good amount of it to counteract the effects of having the wood in there. I have a Magnum 350 that I might be willing to sell if you need a canister. It is easy to fill with araganite and forces water through it.

So its not something I can just leave the fish in while doing it? I don't have a spare tank to hold 35+ cichlids. As for filtration I have a canister that pumps 525 gph with a UV sterilizer and one of my overhang bio wheels I took off my old 75 gallon tank that was rated for a 55 gallon. As for the aragonite you just put in as a form of media? Right now I run carbon and ammonia with tap water for water in the tank.

Am I right in thinking that soaking the wood helps to make it not raise the Ph as much and also not brown the water as much?

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Personally, I think you could leave the fish in the tank. Just add the wood slowly. If you add it all at the same time the pH swing might be too dramatic for the fish. Yes, I just put the aragonite in the canister in place of some other media. How big is the tank?

Also, you are correct that soaking the wood will remove tanins from it and keep it from turning the water brown, and help to reduce the amount the it reduces your pH. You will probably need to soak it for a couple of weeks and change the water pretty much every day.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Sorry, I just saw the size in the first post. Cichlids are very dirty fish and need A LOT of filtration. My last cichlid tank was a 90 with a 90 gallon sump, a 525GPH canister filter and a Magnum 350. I had about 20 fish in the tank. At 525 GPH it is probably rated for about a 100 gallon tank. As a general rule I have always used filtration rated to at least twice the water volume in my cichlid tanks. By doing so I was able to reduce the number of water changes and keep the fish healthy for years. I even had fish breeding almost constantly.

I would recommend more filtration for all of those fish. It will make them more healthy and make your life a lot easier.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

I actually had that same aquatop filter on my 90 when it was a cichlid tank. I think that it is a great filter, but with the 4-5 feet of head pressure that I had, there is NO WAY it would have worked on a 175. I actually put it on my 34 gallon setup after I broke down the cichlid tank and it did pretty well on that.

It looks like the Magnum sells for about $100. Mine was only used for about a month, but I could part with it for about $50. I think I still have the box and unused cleaning parts for it too. I may even have some extra carbon and 1/2 a bag of crushed araganite that you can have with it.

I have a pretty good sized piece of wood that you can have for $20 as well. It has been used in two of my previous tank and would not need to be soaked. You could use it right away.

I would for sure be interested in the filter!!

The big piece of wood I have for the center piece of the tank is about 4 ft long and maybe 18" tall I'll have to shave the top down probably to fit in my tank lol, how big is the piece of wood you have?

Ah I loved that build, hows the salt water set up working for you?

Well if your selling the filter, I will definitly take... I just have to wait till after the 4th its pay day.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

The Saltwater build is doing very well. Still playing with the 50W LED experiment, but I think I am about ready to call it quits on that and go back to 3W LED's. I am also tossing around the idea of making this primarily an anemone tank. I already have a very nice RBTA and just purchased an amazing Blue Maxi-Mini carpet that will be here tomorrow.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

As far as the filter goes. If you need it before the 4th, ou are welcome to come by and pick it up if you are ever in the area and take care of payment later. I am not all that concerned about it.

Nice, you gotta love corals they are almost as nice then some of the fish lol....

As for that piece of wood, how long did you soak it before you it in your tank?

lpsouth1978@msn.com

I originally soaked it for about 2 weeks with daily water changes. It was a PITA but paid off in the end. I am actually in Aurora. I am in no rush to get rid of it, but thought that if you ever get down this way you could pick it up.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Figured I would hop in on this. I have about 20lbs of driftwood that i used in my 40 breeder. It's about 5 pieces I believe and it looked nice in my tank if you want it I will sell it. If not, good luck with the tank, I will be following along

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you're worried about tannins, you can also add a small bag of purigen to your canister. I have driftwood and a 1" layer of soil underneath the gravel of my planted tank and the water is crystal clear.