Driftwood help pls

Well after 4 water changes the water in my tub wasnt turning color at all really, so I put one of the smaller pieces in aquarium this morning, I still have 1 small piece in the tub and the BIG piece in the tub as well....

I'm just really worried about getting the big piece in my tank, I dont think it will fit through the top openings lol

I wonder if could make the openings any bigger with out ruining the tanks structural integrity of the tank??

@jahmic I didnt plan on doing a live plant set up, I read you cant with cichlids anyway.... trust me I would love to though!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MSwift;162135 said:
@jahmic I didnt plan on doing a live plant set up, I read you cant with cichlids anyway.... trust me I would love to though!
Oh I know...I love cichlids but don't have them because I love planted tanks more, lol. I just mention it because I have a high nutrient system with actively decaying wood underneath the gravel in addition to the driftwood in the tank. It started as a murky mess and leached tannins for the first several weeks. I added purigen and had clear water within a few days. Although it won't help with the buffering capacity and potential softening of the water from the driftwood, but if you do notice yellowing of the water due to tannins, a small bag of purigen will go a long way.

Lemme know if you need any GH booster, I have a 1lb bag that will likely last me several years and could easily spare some if you'd like to give it a try.

@jahmic Thanks I appreciate that I might have to take you up on that where in Denver are you at? I'm getting another canister filter from @lpsouth1978 as well.... so I hope that helps everything out lol. I normally have a very clear tank but I started feeding pellets due to the size and amount of full grown cichlids I have and the pellets leave some stuff behind that takes about 30 minutes to get cleared out so 2 canisters should do great for me :D

As for the water color, I put the piece before work so I guess I'll see when I get home :)

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm in NW Denver on the border of Arvada...55th and Federal are the closest intersections. I had picked up the GH booster for my other planted tank that has since been taken down. Ended up not even using it for that tank as I added stones that kept the hardness up. My current planted tank runs soft water and acidic pH...so I just top off with R/O weekly; I only use a small amount of the GH booster when I do a water change once every 6 months. So, basically...something like 2 tablespoons of this stuff would theoretically last me for another 4 years at this rate, lol. You're welcome to at least half the bag if you want it.

Drop me a pm if you're interested at all and we can figure it out. The GH booster I picked up is from Green Leaf Aquatics. I've pasted the dosing instructions below just so you have them.

To raise mineral content/general hardness (GH) by 1 meq/L (3 dH), add 16 g (1 tablespoon) for every 80 L (20 gallons*) when setting up an aquarium or when making water changes (add to new water). GH Booster can be added straight, although for optimum solubility we recommend mixing with ~ 1 L (1 qt.) of water (the resulting mixture will have a white opaque appearance). When this mixture is added to the aquarium it will impart a slight haze that should clear within 15–30 minutes. HINTS: Do not use GH Booster when replacing evaporated water. This dose is based on DI or RO water; for other water, measure hardness (GH) first, then add according to need.

Sweet thank, I'll probably test my water tomorrow after the wood has been in there 24 hrs.

I run a flagstone set up now with fake plants, If I have the room and I hope I do I want to leave some stone in there becaues the fish really seem to enjoy it!!

Well bad new :( I tried to put another piece in and it will not fit in my top opening and If that cant fit the big piece is not going fit :tsk:

So do you guys know if there is anyway I could make the opens any bigger without ruining the tank?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MSwift;162413 said:
Well bad new :( I tried to put another piece in and it will not fit in my top opening and If that cant fit the big piece is not going fit :tsk:

So do you guys know if there is anyway I could make the opens any bigger without ruining the tank?
Is the driftwood "branchy" or are you working with a stump? Either way, you should be able to saw a nice cut into the wood somewhere and drill a couple holes to reconnect them with a wooden dowel. If the only thing getting in the way of putting the wood in your tank is the center brace on the top rim, you could cut the brace and repatch it afterwards with a couple strips acrylic or plastic and some epoxy. But...for me personally, that's something I'd do only on an empty tank.

Ya I dont want to do any cutting of the acrylic with water or fish in there. I didnt think abot putting the wood back together though is there a certian type of wooden dowle.

I have 2 branchy pieces and a very large stump with large branches off of it.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea...it's fun. Sit the wood over your tank and figure out where you can cut the piece to keep the sawing and refitting down to a minimum. I like to make the cuts where the wood is around 2" in diameter...that leaves enough room to drill and insert a 1/2" dowel to reconnect the pieces. I'd try to cut the branches as cutting stumps sometimes sucks because they usually have knots and variations in the wood that make the cut more visible once it's back in the tank.

Nothing in particular to look for with the dowels, as far as I know. I've picked them up at craft stores and just boiled them before use. Never had a problem with them leaching anything bad into the tank. One trick worth mentioning is to let the dowels dry thoroughly after boiling so that they shrink down completely. That way, once you insert them and place the wood in the tank the dowels will swell back up and fit snug so they don't come apart. Good luck getting the wood out afterwards though, lol.

Well then I better really think about it if its going to be that much of a pain to take out lol..... I'm pretty sure I will like it haha

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
instead of the wooden dowels, which will probably rot and, as stated above, can shrink and expand, you can get some plastic or acrylic dowels and accomplish the same thing.

A little update I still just have the one piece of wood in the tank, the fish are doing fine I still have the flag stone in though until the wood finally decides to sink lol.