Dwarf Seahorses

I've been keeping dwarf seahorses for awhile now, and noticed that sometimes people suggest tankmates for them that scarf up their fry or stress them out. The only tankmates I have ever had success with are sexy shrimp, snails and mandarins that are trained to eat prepared foods.My sexy shrimp loves cleaning the waste off the floor of their tank. Does anyone have other suggestions on tankmates or questions about dwarf seahorses?

One thing I've learned the hard way is even if you think your intake is covered well enough not to suck them up check again and again. I had a fluval view for my first dwarf tank and covered the filter intake with pantyhose. The filter was too strong for the little tykes and sucked their tails into the sides. Horrified, I rushed out and purchased a small picotope with a standard hang on filter and put a sponge curler on the intake. Normally the weak current from the filter is a bad thing but for dwarves it is ideal.

So to refrain from writing a full novel here, I'll make a list

Getting Started

1) Captive bred is the way to go as all seahorses are threatened in the wild
2) Small tanks are best (These guys only grow to about an inch)
3) A filter that does not generate much current is ideal.
4) Cover intakes WELL
5) Before purchasing dwarves, have well-established cultures of brine shrimp and copepods which you can feed spirulina (both spirulina and cysts can be purchased from http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/
6) Live sand and brine shrimp have been heard to carry hydroids and hydroids are deadly to little dwarves

Continued Care

1) Dwarves need to be fed DAILY with only live foods (that's all they'll accept from what I've seen)
2) Babies are born able to eat live Baby brine so can be housed with their parents
3) Rinse filter media often because brine shrimp an copepods get caught in it and can fowl the small tank fast

I've heard really bad things about putting seahorses in refurgiums, but the only drawback I can prove is that they would scarf up everything you're fuge is trying to cultivate. I've seen small beta tanks that would do great on a desk as a dwarf tank :)

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Suzanne Lynn;205664 said:
^^^^ I don't know what that means lol
I was also curious if they would survive in a fuge. It seems to me they would be really cool. I would think they would have to have a really big appetite to keep up with how many copods come out of my fuge, I think I would be more concerned about the flow being to much for them. I have a standard reef overflow on my 75gal fuge, runs about 1200gph through the fuge but the flow seems to be pretty low, do you think that work or would that be to much, I would prob want a standard sized seahorse just so I could see it lol and it not get lost in the abyss of the fuge. There is also a lot of rock and hiding places, not sure if that wold help or hurt the little fellers

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Really a betta tank?? What all would that little tank require set up wise? If I am able to keep my fuge stocked enough do you think the seahorses would do OK?

LittleCrabby101;205672 said:
Really a betta tank?? What all would that little tank require set up wise? If I am able to keep my fuge stocked enough do you think the seahorses would do OK?
Dbarnes;205671 said:
I was also curious if they would survive in a fuge. It seems to me they would be really cool. I would think they would have to have a really big appetite to keep up with how many copods come out of my fuge, I think I would be more concerned about the flow being to much for them. I have a standard reef overflow on my 75gal fuge, runs about 1200gph through the fuge but the flow seems to be pretty low, do you think that work or would that be to much, I would prob want a standard sized seahorse just so I could see it lol and it not get lost in the abyss of the fuge. There is also a lot of rock and hiding places, not sure if that wold help or hurt the little fellers

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
Yeah honestly I have no clue how well they would do in a fuge, if plants can be seen being tossed in the current its too strong. Im not talking about just a fishbowl, more like the "more complex" set ups that have a small filter and light. there are some "reef safe" seahorses that grow to be quite large like hippocampus ingens or the potbellied seahorses. A good site for these guys is http://www.seahorse.com/, Ebay or from local breeders (I'm working on breeding ingens, but I'm in need of a Kreisel for the fry). A good article to read if you're curious about seahorses in refurgiums is http://www.fusedjaw.com/aquariumcar...orse-refugiums-are-not-a-happy-seahorse-home/. But I have never tried nor had a typical refergium (I cultivate my foods in 5 gal buckets :) ) so.....

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will definitely look into that. I would like a dwarf pair and I was thinking of doing a small 8 gallon tank.

8 gallons is huge for those little guys! (about the size of a penny) I really want a hippocampus capensis they grow to two inches and accept frozen foods but they are pricey and Ive only ever been able to find them on ocean rider's site.

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will get them a smaller house then for sure. How would you maintain a little betta tank set up with saltwater?

I just do frequent water changes and let it cycle for a while before adding them. A good cleaning snail and a sexy shrimp seem to do well with cleaning too. if you're impatient, instant ocean has a start up formula of nitrifying bacteria.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi Suzanne,

Do you have any pictures you can post to show us your setup? It sounds like the Fluval Edge would be a great tank for something like this. I used one as my first salt water setup.

Thanks
Kevin

Here's a pic of my Dwarf setup. It's a small 3 gallon picotope that I ordered from fosters and smith that's made out of glass. All of my plants are plastic because they seem to get lost in macroalgaes and brightly colored so that the horses contrast well. I don't have any substrate because these guys are messy. I also added a picture of one in my hand so that you guys can see just how small they are. Bear in mind that I have smaller hands and that's an adult female. I think you would have to have a lot in a Fluval Edge in order to make it work. They would get lost in there.http://
http://
http://

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How many do you have in your tank?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2