First TiMer! 120g tank build

OK so far this is what i have done

All the holes were drilled for 1 inch bulkheads, there are 7 in big tank 1 in sump tank.

The big tank has 2 -1 inch drains in the overflow box I had made. I'm only looking to get 1000 gph to run the sump setup. The return pump will run to an upper and a lower bulkhead, where each one will split into 2 nozzles each, or that is what I was thinking?

The other 3 bulkheads I wanted to run a closed loop system with one drain and then 2 to pump back in for flow. I was told a 2000 gph would work well, does that sound right?

The bottom 2 bulkheads will be plumbed to the front of the tank and split into two with two directional nozzles each.

Ok, so the sump will run in flow over to the protein skimmer area the over to the sand bed and then over to where I will be able to pump back out. i have it built for internal or external pump. all divider are a little lower then the other creating a cascade.

Behind the sump on the stand I will be pounding out 2 large holes for plumbing and air to go into the other room where the tank will sit, I'm only looking at a 3 to 4 foot height difference from tank to tank. The canopy when made will be completely closed with a

fan and duct work into my sump room which is a 10 by 15 ish feet concrete room and so far has been a good constant temp (obviously hasn't been too cold yet, but it was steady in the hot summer).

my next step is to plumb the tank and run it into the other room and want to make sure that i don't forget to add something important! im adding unions and ball valves and a pin hole for a syphon break. im not to sure what to look for in the closed loop???

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking good, looks like you have done your homework. In regards to flow that depends a lot on what type of reef you are planing. LPS, SPS or mixed. For example if you are planing on have a LPS dominate tank then you would not want 2000 GPH (IMO). If it were me I would shoot for about 800 GPH for LPS. If however you are planing on SPS dominate I would shoot for 1500-2000 GPH. If you are going mixed I would look to get somewhere in the range of 1000 - 1500 GPH. This of course is all just my opinion and I do not know much.

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did you drill all those holes yourself? I would have been nervous as hell doing all those. Only drilled one tank myself....it was acrylic...but i was still nervous. Lookin good!!!!

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is going to look nice! One question, how does the overflow work with the holes all the way up there? I have just never seen it done that way and i was thinking that would make it very loud. Its probably correct I'm just curious:)

All the holes I had to drill myself and the funny thing was I made them the wrong size so reeedoooo but it wasn't so bad after the first one

Thanks for the info on the gph I'm hoping to create a mixed tank with all of this

the drain I could not drill in the bottom since it was tempered glass so I saw where someone had used 2 holes with one going straight out and one 90ed up. What I'm hoping will happen is one will be completely under water and doing all the work where the other will be a backup?
No clue if this will work

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice start. I want an equipment room too. Will you come punch some holes in my walls?

let me know if i should change anything? i will be adding check valves to each return so water wont flow back. i have flex tubing from the t's and unions running to the sump and closed loop.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dang, hopefully you left some PVC for me!

Check valves fail...they just aren't reliable in reef applications. Siphon break holes are a good just-in-case backup.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hehehehe that will work looking good need a bigger hole so you can put all the plumbing through the wall

Haha yeah I'm looking to get 2 4inch air ducks and 5 1inch pipes in there oh and some electrical for an outlet

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
you can doooooo ittttttttt