First TiMer! 120g tank build

New plumbing

so i got a ocean motion and had to change the plumbing a little added 6 more unions and a couple more shut offs. and lots more flex tube! if i have to go to home depot one more time im just going to give them my pay check

let me know what you all think? i should be able to get the first test on the system next week

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
You've been busy. OM's are nice units (I was on the fence about getting a squirt a few weeks ago myself). The spa flex is awesome, eh?

Since you asked for feedback...

All of the elbows are going to add a good bit of head to the unit. I'm not sure if there's any great solution given that everything is being fed through the window. Double 45* elbows would have been better than 90* degrees but it looks like it's all glued up so it might not be worth the effort to fix. You can play around here to get an idea of what you're losing (http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator). You'll gain a bit anywhere that you can remove any of the hard bends and replace with a piece of spa flex.

If you can get a straight shot to the intake of the pump you'll lesson the chance of cavitation (would cause a micro bubble problem in the display). Being that you're going downhill from the sump it might be OK even if you do have to use an elbow. Again, spa flex would be better though if you do get in a bind.

Most importantly, you're really going to wish you had installed enough ball valves to isolate both the pump and the OM for servicing. Granted, there are ball valves behind the tank but it's going to make a pretty big mess when the time comes. Also, the easier it is, the more likely you'll be proactive on service. I tried to find a good photo but couldn't. You put the ball valves on the unit that needs to be isolated, not on the tank (hopefully that makes sense).

HTH! Keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info I think I could add some more ball valves just out from the OM if I needed but I added unions right out from the OM so it would have to be after I guess I could add another union. If the pump is not big enough I'll get a bigger pump for that setup and use that one for my sump just to make it easy on me. I'll deff look up my 90s on that site to see what I'm at

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you get stuck, there's always savko (http://www.savko.com/). They have some nice options that you won't find at Home Depot. Perhaps there is someone on the board knows of a local source for similar stuff?

What's "ruc" by the way?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alos there is a place I believe that is called Denver pipe and Plumbing that carries everything under the sun. Ther are mostly comercial and supply to the city but you can open a private account and they will sell to non business folk. They even sell the clear PVC.

Sweet thanks I'm not to fond of home depot so that's good to know!

Ruc is short for ruccus are bulldog

I don't think to much when I hooked them all up they laid nice and it should get better with time. I'll find out when I add water I guess

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Congrats on the water!

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
that looks awesome ....BTW if you dont already take some thing for the OCD you might consider it ...lol
i have seen few builds with such attention to detail

Haha yeah I know ocd kicked in! there are some small issues but it's my first build. I am ready to start adding some rock and fish Also would like some soft corals after I find a 400w ballast for metal halide and have no clue what I should start with or what to look out for?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ruc_dog;125395 said:
Haha yeah I know ocd kicked in! there are some small issues but it's my first build. I am ready to start adding some rock and fish Also would like some soft corals after I find a 400w ballast for metal halide and have no clue what I should start with or what to look out for?
Nuts, I just threw 3 away. I have some SE 250 MH bulbs if you're interested.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome aboard and sorry for not responding earlier.....work is a b......

Next time you design a system, you might be able to forget about the valve on the drains. I don't think
you'd ever need to throttle down how much goes back to the sump. The more the better :) Also, valves
are a magnet for calcifying deposits that will clog quicker.
Just a thought :)