Flow questions

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So here is the deal I am an absolute flow junky. What kid of flow would y all put into 36x36 150g cube. I hear flow in a cube is tricky trying to wrap my head around this one. Who has used maxspect gyre either new or old. Who has used the new mp40. Who has cubes.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
What would be so different in a cube as compared to anything else? Would thibk the principles would be the same. 10x flow rate to the sump and 40-80x flow rate via power heads in the tank depending on what you want to keep. Only difference I see is maybe you need more power heads to make sure no dead spots.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have the Maxspect gyre XF150 in my 150 gal. (48x30x24) and I really like it a lot. I found the reverse pattern to be worthless, so I just keep it at a steady state 24x7. I tried the pulse function for like a day until my wife sat down at the couch and asked what was making that pulsing sound. I'd be interested to see what a second gyre would do placed vertically on opposite corner of current horizontal one, but not enough to pony up the dough to really test it!

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have the gyre 150 (x2). Their newest version is much better than the first IMO - still trying to get them to give me a free swap. If you were to go that route, I would put one in a corner vertically and let it wrap around the tank. Better yet, put two and alternate them - mine are each on for 5 mins on opposite schedules.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;638065 said:
I have the gyre 150 (x2). Their newest version is much better than the first IMO - still trying to get them to give me a free swap. If you were to go that route, I would put one in a corner vertically and let it wrap around the tank. Better yet, put two and alternate them - mine are each on for 5 mins on opposite schedules.

TheRealChrisBrown;638061 said:
I have the Maxspect gyre XF150 in my 150 gal. (48x30x24) and I really like it a lot. I found the reverse pattern to be worthless, so I just keep it at a steady state 24x7. I tried the pulse function for like a day until my wife sat down at the couch and asked what was making that pulsing sound. I'd be interested to see what a second gyre would do placed vertically on opposite corner of current horizontal one, but not enough to pony up the dough to really test it!
I was thinking about running 2 side by side. Horizontal on back.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;n638070 said:
Is yours new or old gen

I am not sure that Maxspect actually Gen'd these, but I probably have one of each. The first "gen" had a different foot pad layout that was too close to the body and with less real estate - it would not get as much grip on my 3/4" acrylic. Also, I have been noticing that the first gen tends to be finicky about freezing up if the cages are not perfectly aligned.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cubes can be easier because you can do front/back and diagonal that are very hard in a rectangle. I would do diagonal and front/back with 4 pumps. I would put a wavebox in any tank, cube too, to keep the debris suspended as much as possible until it blow away.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Andrew_bram;n638072 said:
I was thinking about running 2 side by side. Horizontal on back.
I think this would be great, my concern would be if your rock work would disrupt the flow....it may never get beyond the rock and would go back to the surface? There is a diagram of this layout in the gyre manual I believe.

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd use two mp40's and either an L1 or M1 return pump. You aren't putting too much flow through the sump until you're getting micro bubbles in the display. In my 40 gallon frag flat I'm using an M1 for a return with 1 MP 40 and really wish I had another MP40 to add to it. My 270 has two L1's coupled with two mp60's and I think that's about right for a 6' tank

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
aquarius;n638117 said:
I'd use two mp40's and either an L1 or M1 return pump. You aren't putting too much flow through the sump until you're getting micro bubbles in the display. In my 40 gallon frag flat I'm using an M1 for a return with 1 MP 40 and really wish I had another MP40 to add to it. My 270 has two L1's coupled with two mp60's and I think that's about right for a 6' tank
Do you keep your Mp40 dialed back on the 40?

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've been curious about the max spect but as already stated the reverse flow can be lackluster and I really like the controllability of the eco tech pumps. My frag flat has two 1" drains and they just barely handle the M1 at 100% and 2.5' head height, so if your in the planning stages and go with one of those I'd recommend at least 3 1" drains.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Return flow is not where I am concerned this will be plumbed it basement. I am trying to figure out my in tank flow without sacrifice of clean look. This will be a downgrade in tank size for me.

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Then why isn't return flow a concern? If you can get 3000gph out of your return that's one less powerhead you need providing a cleaner look imho

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I prefer slower turn over rate in sump personally to allow skimmer time to remove doc and provide better environment for macro algae to do its job. I have never counted my return pump as flow. On my 220 I run 2 wp40 a wp25 and an mp 40. I also have constraints on the cube as there is only one drain and one return