Heaters

Hi all--

How long do heaters normally last? I ask because I bought a new one in February (Aqueon) and i believe it has failed-- in the ON position. I attempted to turn the temp down on the thing and the light remains on and hot to the touch. Very disappointing, considering it's not that cold in the house at all and it's likely the heater shouldn't be on at all. I turned the temp down (or tried to, the dial seems stuck) because my house has no AC and it's been getting plenty warm in the afternoons. I may have to get a chiller but wow those things aren't cheap.

So how long should a heater last? Any recommendations on brands I should look for/consider? I don't trust this one in my tank and I have no issues getting a new one if for nothing else than peace of mind.

Thanks.

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
I have one really old one, don't even know the brand or how old. So I cant be of much help lol. I have one for RO water but its not used a lot and it's just a petco one i think.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Heaters are unpredictable and can last and last or break quickly no matter the brand. Since it is stuck on you could use this as an excuse to get a controller like a reefkeeper to turn it on and off. That will override the on off function on the heater and could control a fan as well and still have 2 outlets left. IMHO

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
michael.lemke;96480 said:
Heaters are unpredictable and can last and last or break quickly no matter the brand. Since it is stuck on you could use this as an excuse to get a controller like a reefkeeper to turn it on and off. That will override the on off function on the heater and could control a fan as well and still have 2 outlets left. IMHO
Completely agree. Had a heater stick on me and if it wasn't for my chiller I would have had a boiling tank to come home to. Bought a $100.00 reefkeeper lite system and love it. Best $100.00 worth of insurance I can think of for the thousands of dollars of corals/fish inside the tank.

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
is there a way to get a RKl or similar to run 8 lights? cost?

also i cant find a RKl for 100$ they seem to run more.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Rkl are now 120 and you would need an additional pc4 outlet depending on what type of lights. I have a couple of things plugged into 2 of the outlets. You couldn't do that with mh for example. You van also program lights to go off when tank gets too hot. They are very expandable as well if someone wanted to go automated everything. I just use the simple mode because I like to tinker.

I will definitely look into the RKL. I guess if it fails in the on position, the heater can continue to be used. I'm disappointed in this one, though-- as I've observed moisture in it as well. I generally do not consider moisture inside a glass tube with a heating element a good thing :/

Things are heating up in CO and I guess my other option is to get a chiller but my system is so simple, it seems like overkill. I don't even have a sump so I do not know if the chiller can even be used in this case. Any ideas?

I have a min/max thermometer on the aquarium now-- will see what temp variance I get and see how the aquarium reacts. Thankfully, water can handle periods of time of differing temps without suffering those changes as much itself.

I've already off-set my photo period to happen AFTER sunset and I keep the west side of the house's shades closed during that later half of the day-- makes a huge difference in temps in the house. I've even shortened my photo period by an hour, favoring the nighttime, hoping the water can realize as little warming as possible.

Thanks for the advice!

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO moisture in glass is berry berry bad and I wouldn't trust that heater with a gold fish. Replace is now, get a titaniium one if possible.

I run one system with a chiller and a bigger system with a wall mounted desk fan that blows across the top of the tank and under the light. Both work well. Soon I will have it all combined into one bigger system and will do away with the chiller all together. Evaporative cooling works quite well (granted you will have to top off more water).

Side note: I highly recommend sumps. More stability for tank, place to hide top off and additional cooling fans if needed, yadda yadda yadaa.

Stability is the key when it comes to heating cooling. I think (i'm a know nothing), acceptable range is 4 degrees +/- (with my RKL you can dial it in to .1 degrees but I set it for chiller on at 79, heater on at 77)

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ChrisB;96484 said:
is there a way to get a RKl or similar to run 8 lights? cost?

also i cant find a RKl for 100$ they seem to run more.
Yeah I guess they are up to 120 now. still worth it. You can buy another pc4 for around 80 that would give you 8 outlets but I plug power strips into outlets 1 and 4 (higher amp rated outlets) and plug the lights into the strips so I can have multiple lights turning on/off while only using plug in location.

Boogie;96491 said:
IMO moisture in glass is berry berry bad and I wouldn't trust that heater with a gold fish. Replace is now, get a titaniium one if possible.

I run one system with a chiller and a bigger system with a wall mounted desk fan that blows across the top of the tank and under the light. Both work well. Soon I will have it all combined into one bigger system and will do away with the chiller all together. Evaporative cooling works quite well (granted you will have to top off more water).

Side note: I highly recommend sumps. More stability for tank, place to hide top off and additional cooling fans if needed, yadda yadda yadaa.

Stability is the key when it comes to heating cooling. I think (i'm a know nothing), acceptable range is 4 degrees +/- (with my RKL you can dial it in to .1 degrees but I set it for chiller on at 79, heater on at 77)
I know, I know... and it's my intention to get a sump, but sometimes these things take time. I'm not necessarily NEW to the hobby but I have taken my good old time doing things-- I could never be blamed for jumping the gun when it comes to makes additions or changes to my system. My 46g will likely become a future QT or the future sump of another tank. I'd like a 75g rimless tank... but again, this will take time!

I'm actually calling my better half now to have her just unplug it... no sense in risking it.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm further and have some too if you need one. =)

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ryan820;96507 said:
Email it to me as an attachment!
Would be safer to use than the glass hand grenade one you are currently using. =) Oh, but mine are all ugly so they would need to go in your sump...oh...yeah....nvm.

Boogie;96508 said:
Would be safer to use than the glass hand grenade one you are currently using. =) Oh, but mine are all ugly so they would need to go in your sump...oh...yeah....nvm.
Thanks for the lovely thought ;) Can't get a hold of the wife to have her unplug it. Last I checked, it was NOT on and the house is a warm 78, so who knows. I suspected it was stuck on but perhaps it IS working... but again, the moisture... bad.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
tick...tick...tick...tick....

I kid I kid! =)

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ryan820;96512 said:
I'm intrigued... why? Do you keep the room warm enough to maintain the temps of your tanks?
The combination of humidity, room temperature, room size, type and amount of circulation pumps, lighting types. All those things add heat. I think fewer people run heaters than run cooling fans of some form.

Edit: don't mean to answer for Demon, only have 5 minutes left at work and I'm bored. =)