Help i got ick

So my causin bought a emperor angel a week ago and it gots ick he just notice it and he don't have another tank to treat it and don't know what to do he is in Loveland he just join masc but don't know how to use it really we'll so I'm trying to help him out..

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
QT, QT, QT.

Does he have a quarantine tank? If not, he needs to get one and get it set up pronto. New purchases go into QT for observation, health boost (fattened up, acclimated to tank water conditions, etc) and treatment if necessary. Sick fish go into it (*depending on the fish) for treatment.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Keep it well fed and soak the food in garlic before hand to ensure it keeps up its appetite, then just let the ick run its course. If he keeps eating and stays well fed his immune system will take care of the rest.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
what? not ideal. The stress of being in a 5 gal bucket without proper filtration and circulation for more than a day or two will do more harm than good.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Why????? wants to stress it out more and kill it? The infection is already there in the tank, taking him out now isnt going to change that, its only going to further stress the fish and will lead to its death. Leave him where he is and keep him well fed. This is why you quarantine before putting him in the tank

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Seriously.

What size tank is he running, how old is the tank (meaning how long has it been up and running), what are his parameters at, what size is the angel, what other fish are in the tank & how big are they, and what filtration has he got set up? How bad is the ich? I agree with Syn if his tank is lightly stocked and the angel isn't having to fight for its food. If it's not acclimated to the tank yet, and isn't feeding easily and often, then moving it to QT where it can live/eat without harassment might be better. Being the new fish in a tank almost certainly caused the stress that brought out the ich. It needs less stress right now, not more.

Unfortunately if he's in there with other fish it's most likely already spread. If its fish only no corals and inverts I would suggest running the tank at hyposalinity for at least 6 to 8 weeks

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Yes keep him in the tank. Since he is in the tank with the other fish and already has the infection then so do all the other fish, you cant change that now. This is why you quarantine before putting them in the tank. But the good news is that even though they all likely have the infection now, as long as they stay well fed and as stress free as possible their immune systems will keep them from "breaking out". Ick is pretty much in every tank, even if you dont think you have it in the tank, it is likely their, but you never see it because most fish can fight off the infection with no problem. It only really comes to surface when the fish is stressed out and its immune system is compromised. You can restore the immune system by keeping them fed and soaking their food in garlic, the fish will then fight off the infection on their own. May take a few weeks though so be sure to keep up on the feeding well after you the signs of ick have cleared up off the fish.

If one fish has it then in all probability the entire tank has it. Hypo will get rid of it but it takes time and lots and lots of patients. Below is a great article that will help with the hypo. Just putting garlic in the tank and fish food will not get rid of it or cure the fish. Yes the garlic may strengthen the fish but when the parasite goes for their gills it will suffocate. All is not lost it may be scary but once you lower the salinity there will more oxygen available which in turn will help the fish recover. Good luck and don't wait to long to start.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
mabaeza15;311050 said:
My dish does not have ick I think it might be a parasite but he's not doing great I think he might die over night View attachment 19454
Random take over, with little info, you must be the cousin. But looks like ick to me.
And thats not a plant its a ball anemone, which are harmless and not the cause.
Is the angel eating at all?

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
mabaeza15;311053 said:
anyone know what kind of star this is?
Its an astrina star. Algae eater.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
mabaeza15;311051 said:
View attachment 19455 also this plant killed my hippo idk what it is?
Im with syndyn on this. Completely harmless and did not kill your hippo.

We need a lot more info than what you are showing us to diagnose the problem and help you find a solution for it. Since you have already had a hippo die (likely from stress) and a emperor angel get ick from stress, we need to figure out what the cause of the stress is to help the angel and bite the problem in the butt. Please answer all of the questions below and we can give you much better advice

Tank size?
How long has tank been running?
Salinity?
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
Number and types of fish in the tank?
What is the behavior of the angel? (Is it eating? Does it swim around or just hide? If it does swim how often compared to hiding?)

55 gal and about to 2-3 months everything is fine I checked it I have 5 damsels 1 puffer 4 clowns yellow tang chocolate chip starfish and used to have hippo and angel isn't doing so well