Help i got ick

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That would explain it. Your tank is WAY too small for the hippo, the emperor, and is even too small for the yellow tank. You also have lots of damsels (clowns are also in this family), which are known to be very agressive and territorial. In addition, you are adding WAY TOO MANY FISH WAY TOO FAST.

At this point, I think it would be to your benefit to rehome the angel once it recovers sonce these are not suitable for anything less than a 200 gallon tank. Do not add any more fish to your tank until it hits at least the 6 month mark, an even then stick to 1 or 2 small fish like gobies. If you have not rehomed the angel by then, you are already way past your limit on fish and should not add anything else.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;311069 said:
That would explain it. Your tank is WAY too small for the hippo, the emperor, and is even too small for the yellow tank. You also have lots of damsels (clowns are also in this family), which are known to be very agressive and territorial. In addition, you are adding WAY TOO MANY FISH WAY TOO FAST.

At this point, I think it would be to your benefit to rehome the angel once it recovers sonce these are not suitable for anything less than a 200 gallon tank. Do not add any more fish to your tank until it hits at least the 6 month mark, an even then stick to 1 or 2 small fish like gobies. If you have not rehomed the angel by then, you are already way past your limit on fish and should not add anything else.
Yes to all of the above! Those fish need room that you are not giving them, and the stress is showing up. In this case, actual size is irrelevant. Fish have needs that have to be met or they suffer. This hobby requires patience and research or stuff dies and that is both sad and expensive.
And don't just say that the parameters are fine. I've heard that a million times and they rarely are. What are you testing and what are the numbers?
We want to help you. Please let us. Start by giving us some details.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya your tank is way to young, you put in far to much to fast and tank far to small. You shouldnt have that many fish in that tank for at least a year or more and many of them should have never gone in such a small tank. Plus that mix of fish can be problematic in terms of aggression and such.
Agree we need to know more abut the parameters of the tank currently and how you are testing. Also what are your goals for this tank overall? going for a reef tank or is this a Fowlr tank?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I see you live in Loveland. I'd head over to great white aquatics in Fort Collins. Talk to them, bring a water sample. Let them know what your goals are and have them help you come up with a good plan for getting to that goal over several months. Vince is the owner and he will spend the time explaining your options. Fred is in on sat and also very knowledgable. I'm in greeley it you wanna stop by some time and talk tanks. It's good to have a couple to go to for honest answers as you get into this hobby. It'll save you money, time and possibly your relationship with significant others. Lol several of us are meeting at my place in July but I'd surely love to help ya out sooner than later. Mike

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
If QT is not an option there is only one way to treat ich, and with angels its hit or miss, Im sure there will be 30 people who will tell you this wont work, 29 of which have never tried it. I however have tried and tested this method a couple times with success both times.

Slowly rise the temp to 84 over the course of a couple days. Feed heavy nori soaked in garlic as well as lots of meaty foods also soaked in garlic. The higher temp will stop the reproductive cycle of the ich. Once the ich has disappeared youll need to maintain the elevated temp for at least 6 weeks

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's not always necessarily the size of the fish that determines if the tank is too small. There are dwarf angels, for example, that require large tanks due to territorial aggression. Fish like large angels need larger tanks (regardless of their size) since they are used to foraging across large areas...the small environment simply stresses them. Tangs require space to swim, which is not really provided given your tank size.

You can also look at www.liveaquaria.com to get some basic information on your current fish and their requirements. Once your tank settles in, you can also use it to plan future purchases.

A general rule of thumb: buy fish for the size tank you have now...not the size tank you plan on upgrading too. Aside from the fact that you never know what could happen between now and then, you are putting extra stress on potentiall sensitive specimens.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
mabaeza15;311182 said:
But the emperor had those spots when I bought him I didn't see them till I got home I thought they were normal but they kept getting worse
Its too late now, and hindsight is 20/20, but on all future fish purchases, only get the fish if it is perfectly healthy and eating well in the store. It should be swimming normally, show no spots or discoloration, and be agressively eating. If it is unhealthy in any way, wait a week and see if the fish is better at the store and buy it then.

Yea because the fish would hide alot but I thought it was normal and when she got it out didn't do much I got it home then saw them he hide sometimes but other times would swim a little but he didn't eat the first few days but I thought that was normal

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where did you get the fish if you dont mind me asking? Most of our sponsors will refuse to sell a fish that isnt known to be healthy and will ask you about your tank for certain fish like large angels and mandarins that have special care needs before they let you take it home. Sounds like it might be time to get a different LFS. As mentioned above, great white is a great place in your neck of the woods.

I bought it at great white by taco bell in fortcollins and I called them and they told me dip him in freshwater for five minutes to see if parasites came out I didn't see anything I bought him medicine but didn't work also and he died last night

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Valentini Puffer

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
jahmic;311180 said:
It's not always necessarily the size of the fish that determines if the tank is too small. There are dwarf angels, for example, that require large tanks due to territorial aggression. Fish like large angels need larger tanks (regardless of their size) since they are used to foraging across large areas...the small environment simply stresses them. Tangs require space to swim, which is not really provided given your tank size.

You can also look at www.liveaquaria.com to get some basic information on your current fish and their requirements. Once your tank settles in, you can also use it to plan future purchases.

A general rule of thumb: buy fish for the size tank you have now...not the size tank you plan on upgrading too. Aside from the fact that you never know what could happen between now and then, you are putting extra stress on potentiall sensitive specimens.
+1 to that

It also important to do a ton of research and know exactly what you are putting in your tank before you put it in and once you find the fish you want to put in, dont buy it that instant, take sometime to observe it. Check all its fins, its body, its swimming behavior, ect... come back after several days and check the fish again. If you have done your research you will know exactly how it should look and what its behavior should be like and if it does not seem to be behaving as you would expect and/or doesnt look quite right, then dont buy it and find another specimen. Never buy anything on impulse, you will certainly regret it.