Help! Sanding. polishing a acrylic aquarium

Has anyone done this? I have sanded and started polishing/buffing but I'm not liking the results. Can someone help? I have a buffing wheel that goes on a drill and some plastx polish.. I can bring tank to you.

I've finished the sanding. Just the polishing is well ****ing me off.. What polish did you use? Seen on Youtube quite a few people use plastx with very good results so thats what i got..

I've finished the sanding. Just the polishing is well ****ing me off.. What polish did you use? Seen on Youtube quite a few people use plastx with very good results so thats what i got..

Yeah i have done the wet sanding. I just need to do the Buffing. But the buffing is killing me. Like i said i have seen several videos on you tube where the guy uses maguiars PlastX and a buffing wheel he got from a Mothers Headlight restoration kit. SO i have all this bought already. just think i stink at buffing. Cause the guys looks awesome and he wasn't a professional.

So what time should i come over, I can bring beer:)

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I sh!t myself and thought I ruined my new 200G acrylic tank recently. I got some help from guys on the forum, and also had the ADHI owner stop by and give me an opinion on how to fix. I ended up sanding it to 1500 grit, then used novus 3-2-1 (with a flannel rag) to finish. At the end it looked really foggy, but I filled up the tank with water to see how it was coming along. It looked crystal clear to me and I decided not to do any more sanding/buffing. If you can fill it with water to check your results before you go further, you may be very surprised and decide that you've done enough.

But if you can't stop check and decide to keep going, I would just be careful. For me, my whole fiasco started when I tried to do buffing in the beginning (didn't need sanding) and the buffing wheel got away from me for a split second. So be careful, if you've never done this stuff before (newb like me), you could lose all your efforts in a heartbeat.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have always gone in stages all the way up to 3000 grit, you can find those at any paint n body store/shop, use a DA and go nice and slow and it will get the job done. DONT USE THE DA IN CORNERS you will still have to hand sand the corners. HTH

Ok, I bought some Novus 2. But tank looks smuggy still. Do you let the novus 2 dry then buff? Would you recommend buying a orbital polisher/Buffer? Sears has a hand one for $25

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you tried filling it with water to see if the haziness disappears? You may be ok at this point if the scratches are gone.

I don't like orbitals for polishing...all it takes is a small piece of crud getting stuck in the pad to bring your work a few steps backwards...hand polishing should be plenty IMO. Whether I'm painting or just polishing parts...I rarely use an orbital pad/sander once I get beyond using medium grit paper.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fill the tank and check it! You will be shocked. Water fills in tiny abrasions and makes them look gone. If you are just dealing with haze and not visible scratches, then you are done or almost done.

Everyone has different experience with this kind of thing. Based on mine, on buffing/polishing I 100% agree with jahmic. Having never done scratch removal on a tank, I went more than a few steps back - I got myself in a way worse mess than I even started with when I tried a buffing wheel.

If you're worried, then start back at novus 3, then redo novus 2, then do novus one. Flannel cloth buff/dry in between each step. Then fill.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
daverf;185664 said:
Fill the tank and check it! You will be shocked. Water fills in tiny abrasions and makes them look gone. If you are just dealing with haze and not visible scratches, then you are done or almost done.
I agree. I used to use small acrylic tanks for breeding...and some of them were previously used as terrariums for amphibians and reptiles. Even bad scratches tend to disappear when you fill the tank up with water...that haze will probably look crystal clear once the tank is full.

Test it out by spraying a generous amount of water on the acrylic, then slapping some saran wrap over the wet spot. The plastic will obviously distort things a bit, but you should be able to tell the difference with that "layer" of water sandwiched against the acrylic. If you're even somewhat satisfied with what you see...fill the tank and see what happens.

Ok, Well i was just not happy with how it looked. So i went back and sanded it again. There were scratches i just didn't like. I did a wet sand 400 grit to 1000 to 2000. Tomorrow i will go over it with Novus 2 and see how it looks then fill it

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok there's the problem. You can't jump more than 200-300 grit between standings, and have to change sanding direction with each step and make sure you completely sand out the prior step. Right now you are not getting the 400 grit sanding out. You need to start with 600, move to 700, then 900,1000, 1200, at least to 1500.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Then novus 3,2, 1.how big is your tank?

I have a 125 gallon. ok i have some 600 and 800 i can go back then 1000, 2000. You think i need to go in between the 1000-2000 with a 1500?

Also i had seen in a old thread somewhere yesterday that about doing the 2000 that using Novus 3 is a waste. Because its equal to 600 grit so i would just be going backwards..