Help with low alkalinity

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Really try the mixing thing. I had the exact problem a couple years ago. I have since changed salt for this very reason.

mwirth1

Cleaner Shrimp
Dr.HarlemTutu;352903 said:
Salinity drops the alk when over mixed. I know that sounds weird but it does. It's great if you mix it for a couple of hours but does not hold the alk. Just mixing less may help you out. Also, I never trust others water. I agree with checking with work to see if they soften the water, although that's not super common here. In your case you may just need to change your mixing habits.
Interesting. I have also noticed lately while mixing, it has been cloudy. So you think mix and use right away? I generally mix 2-5 gallons at a time and use it within that day. Sometimes its cloudy, sometimes it isn't.

mwirth1

Cleaner Shrimp
Dr.HarlemTutu;352906 said:
Really try the mixing thing. I had the exact problem a couple years ago. I have since changed salt for this very reason.
Out of curiosity, what salt did you switch to? I'm at the end of my bucket and have been thinking of switching to Fritz. The Fish Crew here had a good deal on it last time I was there.

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
Ok a quick note on the salt, I have been using salinity salt for a couple years now in several tanks and I have had great success. My recommendations is this, mix the salt for at least 24 hours I do mine between 24 and 36 and I have noticed any less and it hasn't stabilized. Also make SURE you roll the bucket of salt from time to time as salinity is really bad at separating itself out even when the bucket sits untouched. other than that a dkh of 6 is not that bad so I wouldn't worry to much if the corals are happy.

Tangs

Turbo Snail
Sounds like it's over buffered I understand they have the best water but that's not always good .

Tangs

Turbo Snail
I mix for 24 plus hours but only because I wait for the heater to warm the water up

Tangs

Turbo Snail
Best salt out there is b-ionic second is tropic marine pro then tropic marine

mwirth1

Cleaner Shrimp
Jfaiii;352911 said:
Ok a quick note on the salt, I have been using salinity salt for a couple years now in several tanks and I have had great success. My recommendations is this, mix the salt for at least 24 hours I do mine between 24 and 36 and I have noticed any less and it hasn't stabilized. Also make SURE you roll the bucket of salt from time to time as salinity is really bad at separating itself out even when the bucket sits untouched. other than that a dkh of 6 is not that bad so I wouldn't worry to much if the corals are happy.
I noticed it does separate out frequently. It would be nice if the salts were all the same size. And my corals do seem happy, my zoas are growing, but I haven't had much growth at all on my birdsnest or favia. I did change from a T5HO (2x 24w bulbs) to LED (50W AI Prime) about a month ago. Maybe everything is still adjusting?

mwirth1

Cleaner Shrimp
I haven't heard of b-ionic so I probably won't use it. I have heard great things about Fritz salts so I am leaning towards that. I also have a friend with many large reef tanks who had success with Red Sea Coral Pro salt.

I chose Salinity because it has a guaranteed lab analysis on it which appealed to me. I don't really care about most of the analysis, but I appreciate the fact they do that for each batch.

Tangs

Turbo Snail
Changing any light will take some time for things to adjust. Try the salt u will love it

Tangs

Turbo Snail
I have never heard of that salt . I promise u try b-ionic and u will never use a different salt look online for it . You have to mix 3 bottles with the salt .

mwirth1

Cleaner Shrimp
I will keep it in mind. Thanks for the recommendation.

On another note, I do not have a sump or refugium, just hang on tank filter and skimmer (which isn't really skimming..) and circulation pumps. Not sure if that helps with anything?

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
mwirth1;352918 said:
I noticed it does separate out frequently. It would be nice if the salts were all the same size. And my corals do seem happy, my zoas are growing, but I haven't had much growth at all on my birdsnest or favia. I did change from a T5HO (2x 24w bulbs) to LED (50W AI Prime) about a month ago. Maybe everything is still adjusting?

The slow growth could be because of the light change, that can take some time before things tart growing again. I have heard good things about fritz but everyone I speak with who have used both that and salinity still seems to lean towards salinity. Is everything else staying constant in your tank? no ph swings to speak of? no temp spikes? those could also account for the limited growth