Help with low alkalinity

Tangs

Turbo Snail
I don't remember the technical words for it but the skimmer removes it and if it's not removed it lowers the alkalinity can't remember what it is maybe someone else will
mwirth1;352925 said:
I will keep it in mind. Thanks for the recommendation.

On another note, I do not have a sump or refugium, just hang on tank filter and skimmer (which isn't really skimming..) and circulation pumps. Not sure if that helps with anything?

mwirth1

Cleaner Shrimp
Jfaiii;352927 said:
The slow growth could be because of the light change, that can take some time before things tart growing again. I have heard good things about fritz but everyone I speak with who have used both that and salinity still seems to lean towards salinity. Is everything else staying constant in your tank? no ph swings to speak of? no temp spikes? those could also account for the limited growth
You know, I did have some significant temperature spikes in the heat we had here a week or two ago. Heater malfunctioned on the hottest days, so the tank got up to 85 or 86, and dropped to 76ish that night. Immediately replaced with an Aqueon Pro and have been at 80 deg F +/- 1 degree

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
mwirth1;352931 said:
You know, I did have some significant temperature spikes in the heat we had here a week or two ago. Heater malfunctioned on the hottest days, so the tank got up to 85 or 86, and dropped to 76ish that night. Immediately replaced with an Aqueon Pro and have been at 80 deg F +/- 1 degree
This could for sure be playing a large factor in the growth issue also, a swing that large could have done some serious damage, you are lucky. the temp really needs to be watched on small tanks in summer. I was having issues with heat in my IM fusion 40 and just installed a fan to kick on when the temp gets to high. If you are staying in the +-1 degree range now you should be good!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is my suggestion, make sure you shake your bucket of salt every time before you mix up a batch of salt water. If it is still low after that, I recommend dosing 2 part until the salt is out. After that salt is out I recommend looking into either Tropic Marin or Fritz. Fritz is much cheaper but fluctuates a tad bit more but both are awesome.

mwirth1

Cleaner Shrimp
sethsolomon;352934 said:
Here is my suggestion, make sure you shake your bucket of salt every time before you mix up a batch of salt water. If it is still low after that, I recommend dosing 2 part until the salt is out. After that salt is out I recommend looking into either Tropic Marin or Fritz. Fritz is much cheaper but fluctuates a tad bit more but both are awesome.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will do that next water change. The issue though is my tank itself. Each batch I mix up has good alkalinity (10-12), but it drops out of my tank pretty quickly. It'll be 8-9 after water change, and a week later it'll be around 5-6

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
mwirth1;352938 said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I will do that next water change. The issue though is my tank itself. Each batch I mix up has good alkalinity (10-12), but it drops out of my tank pretty quickly. It'll be 8-9 after water change, and a week later it'll be around 5-6

I would say its time to start 2 part dosing.

mwirth1

Cleaner Shrimp
No I'm not getting any, which is one reason I'm concerned with it. I also thought it might have something to do with switching my light.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Just a side note but Fritz is the same salt as tropic marin just minus the bio-active ingredient. Been using it for a bit now and so far its really good, highly recommend it.

mwirth1

Cleaner Shrimp
I haven't really been testing magnesium. When I've had it tested, it was about 1400. Last time it was tested was about a year ago.

Tango

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;352951 said:
I would say its time to start 2 part dosing.
Not trying to jack post but how often do u guys does with 2 part. My coraline algae stopped growing when it got the size of a quarter