1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Helpful tips

Discussion in 'General Reefkeeping Discussion' started by Andrew_bram, Oct 8, 2013.

1. sethsolomon

sethsolomon Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

I do this when my salinity is low. You just need to slowly top off till your salinity is fixed.

2. SLewis

SLewis Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Keeping a tea bag of carbon in the skimmer will prevent the "smell" that most skimmers aquire, also helps make clean up easier when cleaning the cup

3. SLewis

SLewis Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

when using a siphon hose fill the entire hose with the water you are siphoning from, then plug the end of the hose with your thumb (leaving the suction end submersed) put the hose in your bucket os what ever you are siphoning into and remove your thumb. eliminates all "sucking and blowing" on the siphon hose

4. Highway66

Highway66 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

I like to shake out or even wash off my cheato with the old water during a water change. Maybe once every 3 months, seem to help, with general health of the sump.

5. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Never thought of that assuming it would take care of detritus build up.

6. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

What about all the pods and critters in there? Idk, it is a good point about the detritus though.

7. Fitz19d

Fitz19d Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Hopefully you are triming it and maintaining it so it isn't getting so dense that you have tons of worms and bristlestars in there. At least in a decent sized system I think you'd have plenty of pods that washing a few away isn't a big loss. Or you could theoretically do the shake off in the sump if you can let detritus collect in an area you then section out when water changing.

8. fishguy69

fishguy69 Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

good ideas!

9. ReefCheif

ReefCheif Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Heres a useful trick for all you reefers that keep nems

If you need to remove a nem from a rock but the pesky little bugger wont let go and you dont want to damage his foot, use an ice cube. Gently rub the ice cube around the foot and the nem will slowly let go. Does not hurt the nem either.

10. goslugsgo

goslugsgo Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Start a siphon with a powerhead or return outlet.

11. HondaHound

HondaHound Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I use the original Mr. Clean magic eraser (chemical free of course) to clean my acrylic. It really is magic! Haha

12. CRW Reef

CRW Reef Orca Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Did you guys get a new tank?

13. HondaHound

HondaHound Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

No still rockin the biocube, but I've got the itch for another nano build.

14. GoAvs21

GoAvs21 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Calibrated devices are good devices.

This tip comes from a very recent occurrence: I filled my tank with RO, let it run overnight and then started adding salt to the water. I knowingly dumped in less salt than recommended for my estimated water quantity, easier to add salt than remove it, right?! So I'm at 1.020sg... nearing most suggested ranges. While reading, trying to decide on an exact salinity target and letting the salt dissolve, I decided to calibrate my refractometer. My RO water reads 1.010sg, man would I have been off!

15. Mav

Mav Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

I have heard that RO may not be at a perfect 1.0 sg. I think khalis makes his own calibration fluid but I can't remember.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

16. Andrew_bram

Don't leave ro unit running when you leave your house with out a very good float switch.

17. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Going along with this... you can never have too many towels.

18. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

uh oh!

19. jda123

jda123 Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Put RO reservoir unit in basement next to floor drain in case of leak or failure.

20. Andrew_bram

Don't worry I didn't flood.