Jahmic's Tasty Cubed Reef Recipe

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Jahmic's Tasty Cubed Reef Recipe

CindyL;241134 said:
LOVE IT!!! What a fantastic job. Can't WAIT to see it up and running.
Thanks! I'll let you know when the impending sand storm is over. :p

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Nice Khalis looking good my friend!!!! Wow you must of ate some of Mike's Wheaties with the speed your going huh?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
LOL. Don't worry, I'll hit a standstill soon enough with the DT...unlike Mike I don't have a few hundred gallons of water just waiting for me to plumb in to. ;)

Right now, the plan is to get the tank filled by running my RO/DI into the tank, then adding salt. Once a few days pass with the saltwater running in the tank, I plan on adding a 2" bed of live sand to the fuge along with some additional dry rock. Not sure if I'm going to add chaeto before or after the cycle...but I'm leaning towards after so that any microfauna in there have a chance of surviving and provide some benefit to the tank. I'll also probably be waiting well after the cycle to finish before putting a skimmer online since there shouldn't be much crud to pull out after dipping all of this dry rock in muriatic acid.

Then...it'll be the waiting game for the first algae blooms before adding pods, snails, etc. I'm not going to start adding fish until the pods are well established since I have 2 wrasses and a diamond goby that tend to feed all day.

While waiting for the tank to cycle, I'm going to work on a little side project for the build. That old ice chest I picked up is going to be semi-gutted; I'm using the bottom compartment for storage of an ATO bin...the top section will hide my powerstrips, wiring, controllers, etc. Pretty excited to see that come together...almost as much as the tank to be honest. lame? yea...I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Final pics before I get water in here (slowly) and start clouding the tank...scaping is finally done.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Woke up to water trickling into the overflow! My 50gpd system managed to fill the display in about 30hrs...hmmm. no complaints though. :)

I have around 20g of RO on standby, which should just about fill the sump, so it's looking like the tank should cloud up nicely while mixing the salt in this evening.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;241653 said:
Woke up to water trickling into the overflow! My 50gpd system managed to fill the display in about 30hrs...hmmm. no complaints though. :)

I have around 20g of RO on standby, which should just about fill the sump, so it's looking like the tank should cloud up nicely while mixing the salt in this evening.
+100000

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Added salt yesterday...gonna work on getting the fuge filled with some live sand and more dry rock today. I'm not going with a DSB in the fuge...there will probably be about 1"-1.5" of sand in there so that I can siphon it as needed. After speaking with Cris over at aquatic art on Friday, decided that it wouldn't hurt to give my tank's bacterial filter a little boost...picked up a bottle of microbe-lift "special blend". Any thoughts on whether that should be added immediately, or if I should wait for ammonia to appear so the bacteria has something to feed on?

Don't panic...that's not a crack/scratch...just a temp probe to monitor the DT temporarily. :eek:

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Comin together bro! I'd start adding the micro blend just start slow to allow thing to catch up! I have used sea chems stability to help jump start new systems, also adding some salt water from another system has been done!! Lmk when your ready ill hook u up w some stix! Looken good!!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Thanks! I just added the live sand and did a great job of clouding the tank, despite my best efforts. I'll add the bacteria once things start to clear up again...no reason other than wanting to see what effect, if any, it has on water clarity.

Really appreciate the offer for some sticks once I get it going. I'm leaning toward a nem only build...but don't know how much self control I'll realistically have when it comes time to stock the tank haha

This is a sweet build. That rock is so sweet. It stacks so well and looks really natural. I just wish I had the cash to buy enought to only do that kind of rock instead of mixing different types. Nem only tanks are sweet! Excited to see this thing finished!

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;241887 said:
Thanks! I just added the live sand and did a great job of clouding the tank, despite my best efforts. I'll add the bacteria once things start to clear up again...no reason other than wanting to see what effect, if any, it has on water clarity.

Really appreciate the offer for some sticks once I get it going. I'm leaning toward a nem only build...but don't know how much self control I'll realistically have when it comes time to stock the tank haha
Ya man wish you were ready now for he nems!! It was le pulling teeth to sellt the ones I had! They all have good homes now!! The thing w new builds is patience!! Have have fun while enduring the aganony!!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Lol luckily I have another tank to keep me occupied!

Current Parameters (w/ Kent salt):
Temp- 79
Salinity- 1.024
pH- 8.0
Alk- 10.5
Ca- 405
Mg- 1260
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0

...and the agonizing wait begins ;)

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Isn't she loooovely...wait, am I the only one that sings to new equipment?