Jahmic's Tasty Cubed Reef Recipe

AW MAN!!! I wanted to get that skimmer at reefstock but I spent all my money on corals because I have no self control! haha. Please review when it gets up and running.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Jahmic's Tasty Cubed Reef Recipe

I'll definitely give it some time to get going and let you know what I think. It dropped right in and adjusting the bubble height was pretty straightforward and not too "touchy"...so that's a start.

Thanks for the heads up Charlie. I'll grab some 1/4" ID tubing (hopefully that fits) I have laying around and get that silencer outside the stand and away from the sump. I did notice it was placed awkwardly close to where moisture would build up under the collection cup, and had definitely wondered about that...

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Jahmic's Tasty Cubed Reef Recipe

bubbarockies;241889 said:
This is a sweet build. That rock is so sweet. It stacks so well and looks really natural. I just wish I had the cash to buy enought to only do that kind of rock instead of mixing different types. Nem only tanks are sweet! Excited to see this thing finished!
Yea can't wait to see what you do with that rock...you definitely have some height to play with as well! :)

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

The skimmer is running and I have a bag of carbon in the sump...but after cleaning the dust off the inside of the tank yesterday, the water is still pretty clouded. It's definitely going through it's early bacteria blooms as I can see biofilm forming on the rocks, sand, and acrylic, but I'm not detecting any changes in those levels. So, either that microbe-lift special blend is doing the trick, or the pieces of scallop I tossed in the sump weren't enough to get things going. I can definitely smell them in the water though, so I'm thinking this bacteria in a bottle actually works.

I'll be adding some chaeto this weekend and will start adding pods sometime the following week. Hopefully I at least start seeing nitrates at some point so that I know the cycle actually happened before I start adding CUC. Luckily I have stomatellas and collonistas breeding in my 20 like crazy, so I'll probably toss a few of those in to test things out once the algae starts to appear.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalgra;243019 said:
Let me know if you want to go in on a big order of pods from reef2go I think I want to add some more in a couple weeks.
Sounds great. I'll probably pick up a bunch of pods and some things to get my CUC started. Lemme know when you're ready and we can figure things out.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool! I'm thinking the week of the 6th I'll be placing my order...will keep you posted for sure.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's a little side project I just knocked out over the weekend...

Had to pry the top off to get the aluminum out...was a bit unnerving.

Gutted (to the dismay of hardcore Antiques Road Show fans)

The plan is to hide my powerstrip underneath the cabinet (that panel at the very bottom flips up. I'm going to keep an ATO bin on the floor of the cabinet, and I built a false wall for the back panel of the chest. I plan on running the cords for my controllers up through the old drain hole in the ice chest, behind the false wall, then mounting them to the inside of the lid.

I'll get some updated pics once I actually have some equipment inside...it'll be a while. ;)

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Added some chaeto over the weekend and hooked up the fuge light. I also grabbed a couple scoops of sand from my cube to get some spaghetti worms and other microfauna in the tank, along with a nassarius snail, some collonista snails, and a few stomatellas.

It looks like the diatom bloom is about to start, I can see a few brown spots on the rocks and the sandbed. Decided to check the parameters again to make sure I wasn't imaging it:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate -

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking very nice Khalis. When can I stop by, lol.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, Drew. You got my number...pick a time and head over. :)

It'll probably be a little more entertaining once I get some livestock in there though, lol.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My indecisiveness has finally come to a head :juggle:

http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?19141

I'd been debating a Kole tang for a while, but decided against it in favor of a group of smaller fish. I'd been considering an anthias species, but just couldn't find one that I thought would be a great fit AND provide the amount of activity in the tank that I was looking for.

Looks like I may have a group of Acares Midget Reef Chromis on the way! Since they max out at 2", I plan on trying a group of 5 in the tank. It'll be a little while til I get them added...but it looks like I've at least finally figured out my stocking list.

Someone recently pointed out that my indecisiveness just means that I need a bigger tank so I can have all the fish I want. I intend on proving that person wrong. :p

Last edited by a moderator: