Jebao

Looking for reviews from owners of jebao power heads. I've been looking at the 25 and want your opinion on any of their power heads. Thanks!!!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
More or less its a tunze for less money. Great build quality and the controller has some nice features. Make sure you get it from fish street or one of our group buys otherwise warranty claims are next to impossible.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would not put great build quality and Jebao in the same sentence. They are cheaper tunze - cheaper in money, build, longevity and every other aspect. It is also very apparent that they violated Tunze (pump) and Ecotech (controller) patents, which most people don't care about as long as they can get cheap stuff... but some do.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
They also make some return type pumps and other things.

I like my wp's. Common complaint is need a monthly good clean and scrubbing or else they slow way down. Definately make sure you get warranty, though even if one dies, can buy 3 for the cost of the name brand.

FWIW out of a 40 (original not newer) and 2 wp25's. One wp25 died on me at around the 6-8 month mark. The wp40 I may suck at cleaning but seems like it's running a bit weaker, but again I may not be cleaning it's channel well enough.

For the money and options they give, I think they are a great bump up over buying a simple koralia. If you are well off enough, stepping up to the big boy club ones isn't bad either. I hear the wp described as more a channel of water vs a nicer broad wall from MP's.

Last edited by a moderator:

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
they are not great In fact i am planning on replacing all of mine as soon as possible just don't want to worry about the 6 month mark they have served the purpose for now as far as long term I would not depend on them

jda123;310135 said:
I would not put great build quality and Jebao in the same sentence. They are cheaper tunze - cheaper in money, build, longevity and every other aspect. It is also very apparent that they violated Tunze (pump) and Ecotech (controller) patents, which most people don't care about as long as they can get cheap stuff... but some do.
How is it apparent they violated any patent... where's the lawsuit? Where's the documentation backing this... just because sometuing looms similar by no means does that constitute infringement... jebao is just as good. Its all about how you talk care of your equipment... kinda like a car... go ahead and not do regular maintenance on y ok ur brand new vehicle and I will... lets see who's car lasts longer... you sir are very much entitled to your opinion but if you're going to state outrageous claims such as this I should think you might wanna cite some sort reference...

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
there is a lawsuit from what i understand or was and if they are on the same level of quality then why dont you see people like julian sprung or mark callahan using them if fact mark had something to say about them recently I guess he was asking a supplier about them and the suppiler showed him a pallet full of failed units

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
They get the job done, for a time at least, but quality isnt even close to those of the tunze. As far as lawsuit, there was one a while back between these two, dont know what came of it though

I never said it was on the same level... but I did insinuate that they are not as garbage as some would lead you to believe... and why would someone who CAN afford to purchase the high end my reef is better than yours because I have more money to throw at it than what I know to do with buy the cheap **** that works good enough for someone like me who can get two pumps for less than the cost of one vortec.... once again I still see no documentation... not even a link...

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm going to attempt to get this thread back on track. I have no experience with any other pumps. I have 2 WP 25s on my 75 gallon tank and they seem to be working well so far. There are some factors about the controllers and what not that I don't particularly care for, like the really dorky photo resistors that they use to slow the pumps down at night. For the price, I have been pretty pleased in the performance, and my fish and coral seem pretty happy. I do plan on upgrading them to Vortechs eventually.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
they are good pumps for the money but they do lose a lot of flow if they get dirty if you are in it for the long haul and can afford it now I'd step up to mp's

I have 3 wp's right now but as soon as I can afford to the will get replaced with mp's or tunze's I have a few korilas to add extra flow here and there

honestly it boils down to if you want to be able to repair/rebuild them from what I know its much easier to buy parts for the tunze or vortech where with the wp you basically just replace them instead of fixing them basically in a nutshell

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have owned a vortech and a jeabo. In my mind i do have a hard time with wether or not they copied the tunze. I dont know what the patent violation would be? Yeah its round and has a propeller, but what other shape are you going to make it? I cant see the controller being a rip off either, its just pre set programs, you can do the same with an apex. My opinion is they are very good quality, not great like the vortech. But its hard to justify the high price when i can by 2 or 3 for the same $. Some day i will have money buring a hole in my pocket and i will buy another vortech. For now the jaebos are working good.

Every business has competition, its just hard when it comes from over seas where they can cut costs so dramatically. I think vortech or tunze should fight back with a price drop, or perhaps send in your jeabo and get $10 off, lol. Something to rally customers.

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jebao

I have used the vortech mp10 and the wp25. I wouldn't consider vortech as a higher quality. after a year, I had to replace the wet side cause the magnetic was rusted. then a few months after that, my dry side was so noisy, had to replace the bearings. for the price of one mp10, i can get a couple of wp25s. I can't speak for the tunze cause I've never used one.

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
High Plains Reefer;310150 said:
honestly it boils down to if you want to be able to repair/rebuild them from what I know its much easier to buy parts for the tunze or vortech where with the wp you basically just replace them instead of fixing them basically in a nutshell
I have two wp25s running on almost a year and I havent even had to replace the impeller. Just needed a 5 min soak in vinegar once every 2 or 3 months. When the impeller does finally go out, I got 6 replacements for $2 a piece when I bought the pump. Ive heard the wet side assembly of vortechs lasts 2 years or so and I will take two $2 replacements over one $100 replacement any day of the week. Not to mention, when you get close to a year, you van just send fish street a video showing that you pump doesnt work (pretty easy to fake) and they will send you a replacement pump for shipping only and you dont have to send the old pump back.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

Thanks for all the info every one! Huge thanks to zombie for the heads up on the warranty info. I was eyeballing a few on e bay, not no mo'. It all comes down to luck of the draw with these I guess, if I end up getting one I'll let every one know if I got the short or long straw....

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I talked to fishstreet and they said of we get an order that has 16+ unit order we could get 15% off. Has to be one order and send the order number into them they will refund the discount. It only works with current stock and they suggested getting it done before the week is over... Idk just a thought I can't front that kind of cash but if someone wants to organize this I would pp for a wp10

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No lawsuit go from US to China. This is why no US companies carry them. None. Find one. This is just me thinking, but I would stay out of a public group buy where a lawyer could discover everybody in it. It would only take one public suit against a board or basement-hobbyist for every board in the country to shut down group buy threads... so don't be on it... order one on your own if you have to have one.

IP violations are what really stifles innovation, not higher taxes like the Politicians say. It is very likely that you or somebody you know will lose your job due to this in the next 10 years... so when you do, don't get mad (or tell your family/friends not to get mad) because you yourself wanted a cheap pump.

Vortech is not comparable to these. Compare these to Tunze. Tunze last for many, many, many years. I don't consider Vortech all that reliable either - medium quality to me. Tunze is high quality. I have 6100 pumps that are almost 10 years old and are still running flawlessly.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;310174 said:
No lawsuit go from US to China. This is why no US companies carry them.
Lawsuits happen all the time. Perfect example is the lawsuit against Samsung from Apple.

Patents only last 10 years. The patent Tunze got is no longer good, and while it seems like a slap in the face to Tunze, almost copying a good pumps design is perfectly legal as far as patent law is concerned. Personally I think companies like Jebao and generic medication are necessary to keep prices reasonable. Imagine how expensive ibuprofin would be if one company had a patent forever.

bfsbiocube

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just pulled an mp10 out and replaced with two wp-10's. I like the fact that I can now control the Jebao pumps with my Reefkeeper, including standby, storms and night mode. I know that the Tunze pumps work with the APC as well, but they're pricey.