Jebao

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You have any idea what you are talking about? Both Samsung and Apple have US offices that can be filed and served. Jebao and Fish Street are in China with no presence in the US. Just the patents on the front of my Tunze boxes were filed in 2008 and a few more in 2010. There are probably more. Maybe a double logarithmic diagram comes up with 10+ years on this type of math, but simple subtraction comes up with 4 years.

If this was legal, or at least worth the risk, there would be companies in the US that have them. However, I have seen them in LFS around here a few at a time that must have ordered some.

I don't care if anybody buys them. However, there is no argument that can be made that IP was not stolen. If you don't care then buy away... just don't whine when the exact same thing happens to you some day. I almost had 3 years of my life and a small fortune taken from me (and a few other people in our startup) from IP theft that thankfully we got straightened out. You probably have to be a IP lawyer to know more about this than I do... and that is not a good thing. I hope that none of you will ever go through this, but chances are that some of you will. In most cases, the consumer does not know that they are buying a product that breaks the law... hard to argue that here. IP theft and patent trolls are the next plague on America and advanced countries - it is a big deal.

I would love to see an American company carry these and have an actual IP case go to court. ...or even somebody from EcoTech or Tunze file a complaint against a board that facilitated a group buy. ...but even if the court ruled in favor of Tunze or EcoTech, would you personally not buy one anymore? Honestly, what would change? I just wish that people would say "I bought them because they were cheap and don't care about anything else" rather than come up with a bunch of weak excuses and justifications.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
On last thing and then I am out... if Jebao was using a design that was not patented or even expired, they would have already filed a first patent or an improvement so that they could sell these all of over the world, and for more money with exclusivity.

bfsbiocube

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Frostyfish;310167 said:
Thanks for all the info every one! Huge thanks to zombie for the heads up on the warranty info. I was eyeballing a few on e bay, not no mo'. It all comes down to luck of the draw with these I guess, if I end up getting one I'll let every one know if I got the short or long straw....
Bought mine from an Amazon vendor who promptly replaced the original controller that was DOA. Not the highest quality, but works.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
my 40 just cut out the other week. Bought it on a group buy and warranty is BS. Tried contacting them AND who i got it from on the group buy. Nothing. its pretty much a $70 aqueon circulator now for me... won't pulse or change modes. the motor is quite crap. being said... its a cheap alternative to a Tunze but thats about it. don't listen to the "good quality" or "has great circulation" or anything. It does the job it was made for and thats it, time wise it is crap and WILL crap out on you. a beater car can only last so long as a cheaper alternative to a new car, just depends where you sink the money next... another beater or save up and drop it on something that is QUALITY, WARRANTIED and not based in China to deal with problems.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
High Plains Reefer;310145 said:
there is a lawsuit from what i understand or was and if they are on the same level of quality then why dont you see people like julian sprung or mark callahan using them if fact mark had something to say about them recently I guess he was asking a supplier about them and the suppiler showed him a pallet full of failed units
Because they are given EcoTech and tunze pumps to promote the pumps, its advertising.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
PlumCrazy;310191 said:
my 40 just cut out the other week. Bought it on a group buy and warranty is BS. Tried contacting them AND who i got it from on the group buy. Nothing.
As I keep saying, but from fish street and the warranty will actually exist. The language barrier is a bit tough, but I have yet to hear someone that didnt get their pump replaced when there was a problem. Now with storehouses in the US, it only costs $3 for a replacement pump or controller.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;310184 said:
You have any idea what you are talking about? Both Samsung and Apple have US offices that can be filed and served. Jebao and Fish Street are in China with no presence in the US. Just the patents on the front of my Tunze boxes were filed in 2008 and a few more in 2010. There are probably more. Maybe a double logarithmic diagram comes up with 10+ years on this type of math, but simple subtraction comes up with 4 years.
I actually do know what Im talking about. Those patents are for "ornamental design", which are not violated because the impeller of the Jebao is located in the center axis and the Tunze is offset, which is the major part of their claim. If jebao made a reversible pump in a wavebox, that would be a completely different story and I would be with you 100%.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Back on topic...

I have one wp25 on my 75 gallon. I LOVE IT. Literally it blows my tank around like crazy.. I like being able to change the mode and the speed all in one controller. I also like how easy it was to take apart. It's simple and works great (had mine for 7 months now). It was all slimed up and coralline algae'd (lol) everywhere and wasn't producing much of a wave or current at all (that was at the 6 month mark). I let it run in a vinegar bath for about 4 hours and everything was gone. Put it back in the tank and BOOM it was back to brand new, kickin *** in my tank.

I would never consider something 3 times as expensive than something that does the job it's meant to do..
I'd give it a 10/10.
I have not though, owned any of the high end products, so I can't compare.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I currently run two wp60's on a linked controller in my 360 as my only wave action. I get a nice standing wave of about 2" in a 6'X4'X2' tank. Previously I had 2 wp40's and an mp40. The mp40 was loud and it was more of a wall of water. The mp40 did not feel like its flow reached the opposite side of the tank. When I am working in the tank I need to turn the wp's to feed mode otherwise I sway back and forth in the tank with the wave. I also found it difficult to program compared to the simple controllers provided with the Jebao.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I don't know about durability but do agree that if you maintain your equipment routinely it will last longer. My wp40's were still working after about 6 months when I replaced them.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had one wp 40 on my 120 and it is very strong. I've actually placed another one in the tank and sent them both to the lowest setting. I have considered replacing them with wp 25's and I would really like to pick up that link controller. I like to alternate the pumps. I have had mp 10s and I do like them, but come on that price is way over the top. If they were more reasonable I would use mp 40s in the 120, but i'm fine with the Jebao pumps.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I've been using the dual controller and it works really well. If you already have the pumps the controller is not that expensive.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;310243 said:
I've been using the dual controller and it works really well. If you already have the pumps the controller is not that expensive.
How long are the cables for that?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The cables from the pumps are probably 5' at least and I'd say about the same on the power supply.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;310255 said:
The cables from the pumps are probably 5' at least and I'd say about the same on the power supply.
I meant on the controller itself. I ended up finding a better picture and they look to be about 6" or so.

Does anyone know where to get a cable extension for these?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The two cables from the controller are about 6". They are just 3 prong cables some of the other guys that have done the apex conversion might know where to get extensions. Why do you need longer cables?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;310261 said:
Why do you need longer cables?
Pump cable is five feet, distance to where I could mount the controller is 7 ft (9" to top of tank, 20" to top of stand, 18" to front of tank, 39" to where centerline of stand.) Of I had a 3 ft extension on one, I could offset it and make it work.