Just tired

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lately I've been thinking of getting out of the hobby. It's been one thing after another with this hobby. Month and a half ago my power module for my AI sol blew out and I had to get another one. Then the 250 ballast that I was using for my frags stopped working. Couple of weeks ago, the other power module on the sol goes out. Now the pump on my skimmer went out. I keep my hands out of the tank so I'm not messing stuff up but all these equipment failures are nickel and dimeing me to death. I'd sure like to but some rare/le corals or new equipment but can't because I'm constantly having to repair what I have. I'm about ready to just sell everything off and get some money out of this tank instead of always putting in

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
We dont want to see you go, anything we as the club can do to help. Had I have known about your MH ballast I could have donated one, I had an extra that I just got rid of last night. What kind of pump do you need for your skimmer?

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Saltwater tanks are expensive and I know exactly how you feel. I had ich for what seemed like a year. Every time I thought I was good, QT'd, etc, lost system after system. LEDs fell in my tank before, blew out my whole circuit and every pump. I'm telling you, once everything clicks, it's smooth sailing. It's up to you if you get out and I'll never tell u to stay or leave. I believe if you enjoy and love the hobby, this moment will pass. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chin up shoulders back I think you can pull threw. I have had my troubles lately but it's starting to come around.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;275791 said:
We dont want to see you go, anything we as the club can do to help. Had I have known about your MH ballast I could have donated one, I had an extra that I just got rid of last night. What kind of pump do you need for your skimmer?
It's a Sedra 3500. This would be the second pump to go after a power outage

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Buy it new recently? I know my credit card covers me on recent accidents, I just got a new Apex unit because I was dumb...

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't want to be the negative one here but I left the hobby a little over a year ago and I have to say it was great to not have to worry about funding a tank, breakdowns, coral loss, ect. The other negative is me thinking about another saltwater tank everyday for the last year! Once your equipment is gone you will sit there wondering what you have done and why, then you will wonder what you will do without the hobby. I hope you will stick it out because as soon as your equipment, fish and corals are gone you will be wanting it all back. Lmk if you need anything, I do have a 250w ballast laying around if you need it. Oh and if you are planning on giving up, take a break but atleast keep your equipment for when you get back into the hobby it costs way less to get back into it that way:)

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
aztecdreams;275796 said:
It's a Sedra 3500. This would be the second pump to go after a power outage
I have a sedra 3500, it needs an impellor.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think any hobby has ups and downs. I absolutely love looking at the fish and coral, thinking how cool it is we are a mile above sea level - with a piece of a tropical reef in our homes. Yea there's a lot to keep things going, both time and money, but that's nothing new. Replacing things that break sucks for sure but it is a part of the hobby. Black Friday sales are coming up. Stock up on routine things, try and have a back up plan for everything that without, the reef would seize to exist. Just think, 50 years ago, not even the richest person in Colorado could have a piece of the reef. If you truly love the hobby, stick with it Ric. If it's time to move on, the local hobby is loosing a good one for sure.

I keep doing the same thing. Buy big tank, sell big tank, buy little tank, buy big tank, sell big tank, regret that for months but too worried to tell the spouse I want another one. Now I have a little 30 cube and on the hunt for another 90g, lol - ran outta space. Little tanks are nice because you can save on equipment cost, but real estate is slim. Spouse had an aneurysm but it's my one obsession he gets to enjoy too. They're right. At least keep it in the garage for months down the road when you are missing it.