Kalkwasser, GFO & Carbon

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;134322 said:
How often would you guys recommend changing the carbon and GFO on a 29 gallon Biocube? I'm probably going to go with a single reactor from BRS. If I upgrade my tank, I'll just buy another reactor.
I have been doing it once a month in my tank, however, I am not running my 24/7. This is because my two little fish leaks, and I only run it a few hours a day. This will change once I get the BRS one already to go.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So if it's running 24/7, change it every 2-3 weeks?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;134330 said:
So if it's running 24/7, change it every 2-3 weeks?
With GFO? You have to buy a test kit, I liked the Hanna Phosphorous kit. You'll need to run the numbers through a simple calculation, but it's more accurate than the Salifert (as others have compared to). You change GFO when the po4 levels start to rise again, thus the need for a test kit. You don't want to completely eliminate it though, as its needed for photosynthesis.

You'll end up changing the Carbon and GFO at different intervals, until you find your GFO rotation. Then you can adjust your carbon to that schedule as well.

Did any of this make sense?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh cool. No one ever told me that... Makes tons of sense.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is it the newer one with the clear canisters? If it is I'll take it. I'll send you a PM as well.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So what do you guys think as a starting point, 1 tsp a gallon for 5 gallons. Then go up from there till hitting 1/2 Tbsp per gallon?

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh wow. Didn't realize I needed to start that low. I'll start there and see how high I need to go. Thanks kalgra.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very true.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No clue. Just started doing the kalk 2 days ago.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
so are you adding the kalk to your ATO water? And how much are you starting out with?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes, just doing the kalk in my ATO. With kalgra's recomendation I started with 1/8 tsp per gallon. Once this 5 gallons is gone I'll up that to 1/4, then maybe up it again with the next 5 gallons. We'll see how everything is doing and what my tests are telling me.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sweet I might have to follow your lead and do that as well.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So dosing the kalk is going good. I came up with another question on the carbon and GFO.

I know that GFO helps remove Phosphates. What if I don't have any? I've been testing my water every 3-4 days since I moved the tank to it's new location and don't have any Phosphates. Will running GFO even be worth it?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What test kit are you using? I have found most are useless for getting a decent reading on phosphate unless its really high. For purposes of getting a reading of less than .03 ppm the redsea kit is good but the hanna checker IMO is the best. if you are using salifert or API I wouldn't trust it.

Just my 1 cent

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also per RHF dosing kalk can aid in keeping phosphate levels low so that's good too. Personally if you are concerned about phospates invest in a hanner checker. Your close to me so if you want bring over a water sample and I will test it for you to give you an idea where you are currently.