Kalkwasser, GFO & Carbon

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm using Salifert. That would be awesome if you would do that. I'll PM you so we can get a time setup. I'm not really worried about them, just don't want to start dosing or treating something that isn't there.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Picked up the dual reactor from 68sting.

Everything looks good. How should I clean this out? It's got some gunk in it.

What would you guys recommend starting at as far as amount of carbon and GFO. Maybe 1/2 cup?

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you look at BRS's website, they have recommendations for how much carbon and GFO to use for a particular water volume. I know for GFO you need to be careful and start out slowly or you risk having any sps corals rtn on you.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Since I don't have any SPS, just zoas, 2 hammers, Kenya tree, Xenia and a ricordia, think I should just start out with what they recommend, or should I still start slow?

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, did the calculator on BRS's website. It says I need a whopping 2TBSP of carbon and 3TBSP of GFO. Though that's their ROX 0.8 and high capacity GFO. Need a lot more, over 4 times, if I go with the lower quality. Though not sure 2TBSP would even fit good in one of these bigger reactors. Maybe I went a little overboard with the dual reactor. Hmm, guess I could see if anybody has a singe and wants to trade or something. Maybe sell this one and get a much smaller one for my tank. Guess I should have looked before I bought the dual.

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
What size tank do you have? I've read articles which stated carbon in a filter bag placed in a high flow area (sump) is as efficient as using a reactor. These are from the Bulk Reef Supply website:

http://www.hallman.org/filter/gac.html

http://www.mchportal.com/fishkeepin...ter-the-environment/571-activated-carbon.html

GFO, however, I've read is much more efficient in a reactor. And I'd still start off slow with the GFO. I've read people starting off with even half what BRS recommends to start off with but I think they had tanks full of sps. I'd take a baseline measurement of your phosphates, start up your GFO usage, and monitor what happens with the phosphates over time and adjust the amount of GFO accordingly.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have the same reactor. U can use small amounts of chemical media I. It pretty easily. Do you have the individual sponges that slid into the inner flow tube? U can push the sponge in just a few inches, put in your media and than screw the cap on that has the other sponge on it. Dial back your flow with the ball valve and adjust accordingly. I usually put my gfo first and carbon second. I like to have my gfo tumble.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for all the info jagermeister and crusty.

Anybody have any tips on cleaning these things? Even if I trade or sell I'd like to clean them first.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol, thanks. Just a bit of vinegar, or do I need enough to soak the whole thing?

Drew

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can use as much vinegar as you want, just rinse it out well with hot water.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
To clean everything, can I just mix vinegar and water and run it through the whole setup, or do I need to do straight vinegar? That's a lot of vinegar if it can't be diluted.

Drew

Yes that will work. Poke around on the net and you will find that vinegar is a must have for any cleaning when it comes to the reef tank.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can dilute it, I mix mine sometimes.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok guys, about to start this. Quick question though, will running the Carbon and GFO make the water to clean to get good LPS growth? I've heard from a lot of people lately that zoas and most LPS prefer a "dirtier" water. Since that's all I have I don't want to stunt their growth.

you won't stunt growth, it just won't be as rappid. With "dirtier" water the water is just that dirty, it has a yellow, greenish tent to it from all the free flowting algy. Most don't realy notice it when it's there untill they see someone elses tank with "Clean" water then it's all they see. I belive that one needs to setup and mantine there system the why they plan to do so from day one. The tank and it's inhabitances will adapte to what ever husbantry it is given (with in reason). If you don't plan on doing waterchanges every week then don't start the tank doing water changes every week. It may take a bit but the tank will balnces out acording to what is going on around it, a suden chang in husbanty may not start the process over but will set it back. That may not be the popular belife but it is what I have found.
“And if we could only step aside and trust in nature, life will find a way.” – Jurassic Park