Kent salt users

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I thought it might be helpful since there's a good number of us running Kent salt, to post some fresh mixed salt numbers. So, if you have the time/ability, post up your numbers on your next batch of salt.

Thanks!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Great idea Scott Im def following along. Ill post results once my new test kits get here.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Great idea. Ill post my findings this weekend when I do a water change!

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I mixed up a batch, temp was 78.6, salinity was 1.026
Alk 210 or 11.76dkh
CA 540
Mag 1200

I used Hanna checkers for CA and Alk, Salifert on the Mag

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
just started mixing a water change I will test later today.....I most likely will do the big 3 alk, calc, and mag

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You might also post how much you mixed and if you dry-mixed the salt first to balance out any settling that might have happened. Also, the SG that you mixed to.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;292651 said:
You might also post how much you mixed and if you dry-mixed the salt first to balance out any settling that might have happened. Also, the SG that you mixed to.
He uses a whole bag at a time so I wouldn't think dry mixing would be warranted.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Other people won't, which is why some numbers could be skewed... and numbers at 1.022 aren't the same as 1.026. Temp matters some too, but not that much.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;292651 said:
I use a bag and about 6 cups. I put a whole bag in my mixing tank and 6 cups out of my holding bucket. I dump a bag into my bucket and as I pull salt out I mix with the cup I use.
I always mix @ 1.025 SG and the temp is 81 F

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mixed water overnight, about 4 gallons. Ran on powerhead for 8 hours and heated.

Temp was 81
SG 1.026
CA 600+ on Hanna/ 500+ on Salifert - both maxed out
MG 1500+ on Salifert - maxed out
ALK 9.184 on Hanna

For daily dosing, I've got 110 total water volume.

CA - no dosing
MG - no dosing
Alk - 60ml a day - 15ml every 6 hours

Last edited by a moderator:

Vance

Angel Fish
Reef_Newbie;292680 said:
I can participate as well.

This is what I am using just to make sure... Anyone sell larger quantities than this locally?

Chris at aquatic arts has 200 gallon boxes for dirt cheap

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aquamart does, or at least did, have the 200 gallon boxes as well. I believe Cris has the better everyday price, and Aquamart can beat him by a few bucks when they do a large group buy.

You cannot go wrong with either of them.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I went back to my logs from the last time I mixed a batch.

Temp 79
SG 1.025
CA 500+ tested with Salifert
Alk 6.9 test with Hanna and about 7.5 with Salifert
Mag 1290 tested with Salifert

I was mixing about 40 gallons so it was a little less than 1 full bag. Also other important details the salt was added to a full container of RO. (e.g. the water was not added to salt) The water was cold when the salt was mixed approx 65 degrees. I always mix cold for one full day roughly 24hrs then heat the salt once its fully dissolved.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any thoughts to if there's a difference in mixing technique? Like add salt to water, or water to salt?

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Always add salt to water. Adding water to salt can allow a precipitate to form that will not unbind to remix.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blindrage;292689 said:
Aquamart does, or at least did, have the 200 gallon boxes as well. I believe Cris has the better everyday price, and Aquamart can beat him by a few bucks when they do a large group buy.

You cannot go wrong with either of them.
It may be time for another group buy...

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so I have used Kent religiously for 2 years now. I have tested off and on a few times and always the same results 7 dkh and about 550 calcium....

I have to be honest with myself and with others. I have seen a small decline in my tank the last few weeks as I have had a red slime problem. So I thought that it was from me trying to kill the slime. I have also been chasing an alk swing which I thought was from me adding media to my calcium reactor and cleaning the reactor. Turns out that maybe the salt has been my problem...... I try to keep my alk around 8 and my calcium high 4s low 5s has always been ok for me. I will let my results speak for themselves and you can see where I have a problem. I will say it seems to be this batch of salt that I got from the aquamart sale (nothing wrong with aquamart, just trying to determine what batch).

I do a 55 gallon water change once a week. I pre-fill a 55 gallon tank with rodi and I preheat the water as well. I use 1 bag and 6-7cups of salt. I store a bags worth of salt in a salinity bucket that has a good seal. I mix the bucket as I take salt from the bucket.

I used 2 test kits on alk and calcium api and Hannah. Used Hannah on phosphate and red sea on magnesium.

SG 1.025
Temp 81f

Alk

Api changed color at 12

Hannah 12.02 .....215ppm

Calcium
Api never changed 26 drops off the chart.

Hannah 600 ppm

Phosphate (note tds out of the rodi .01)

Hannah .02 (also tested my tank .02)

Mag.

Red sea teat kit. 1600 ppm

Honestly its no wonder I'm having issues

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bajamike;292738 said:
Ok so I have used Kent religiously for 2 years now. I have tested off and on a few times and always the same results 7 dkh and about 550 calcium....

I have to be honest with myself and with others. I have seen a small decline in my tank the last few weeks as I have had a red slime problem. So I thought that it was from me trying to kill the slime. I have also been chasing an alk swing which I thought was from me adding media to my calcium reactor and cleaning the reactor. Turns out that maybe the salt has been my problem...... I try to keep my alk around 8 and my calcium high 4s low 5s has always been ok for me. I will let my results speak for themselves and you can see where I have a problem. I will say it seems to be this batch of salt that I got from the aquamart sale (nothing wrong with aquamart, just trying to determine what batch).

I do a 55 gallon water change once a week. I pre-fill a 55 gallon tank with rodi and I preheat the water as well. I use 1 bag and 6-7cups of salt. I store a bags worth of salt in a salinity bucket that has a good seal. I mix the buck as I take salt from the bucket.

I used 2 test kits on alk and calcium api and Hannah. Used Hannah on phosphate and red sea on magnesium.

SG 1.025
Temp 81f

Alk

Api changed color at 12

Hannah 12.02 .....215ppm

Calcium
Api never changed 26 drops off the chart.

Hannah 600 ppm

Phosphate (note tds out of the rodi .01)

Hannah .02 (also tested my tank .02)

Mag.

Red sea teat kit.

Honestly its no wonder I'm having issues

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
Mike what's the issue. I didn't see anything wrong but I could be missing something.