Kent salt users

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Alk of 12+ and Ca of 600+.....What thats not normal? lol hmmmm curious to see the results of some other peoples tests as it looks like the Ca is def maxing out on both tests presented so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reef_Newbie

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mike,

I would be VERY interested for you test with the water at a cooler temperature. Sounds odd, but I get slightly different numbers at different temperatures from the same bin of salt.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
What I am amazed at is that the numbers can actually be that high at the same time. I have always been told about the inverse relationship of Alk and CA, and I had assumed that if both of them were that high at the same time then you would have them precipitate out of the solution until they got to a lower stable reading.

I have a box of that sale laying around, and now I am a bit scared to use it.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reef_Newbie;292743 said:
Seems to be that he typically keeps his alk @ 8 and the Salt is coming in pretty high.
I get that but the alk swing shouldn't promote algae growth. Plus have you seen his tank lol. It's one of the best around.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reef_Newbie;292744 said:
Mike,

I would be VERY interested for you test with the water at a cooler temperature. Sounds odd, but I get slightly different numbers at different temperatures from the same bin of salt.
I keep my tank between 80 and 81. night temps are 80 and as soon as my halides hit the end of the light cycle the tanks are about 81. So I tested it at the temp I keep my tanks.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;292746 said:
I get that but the alk swing shouldn't promote algae growth. Plus have you seen his tank lol. It's one of the best around.
I think you need to reread things. I was blaming the decline on me trying to kill the algae not blaming the algae growth on the alk swing. the decline is obviously coming from the alk swings im having

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My bad it read to me that the decline was cyno outbreak.And others mentioned alk being so high. I didn't realize it was an overall decline. Also would be interested to know what your tank alk test out at say 30 min to hour after water change.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How soon after you mixed, did you test? I actually had Alk of 210 about 45 min after mixing. I figured I'd let it go 8 hours, and by morning it was at 164.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;292749 said:
My bad it read to me that the decline was cyno outbreak.And others mentioned alk being so high. I didn't realize it was an overall decline. Also would be interested to know what your tank alk test out at say 30 min to hour after water change.
Tested my tank water at the same time as these tests 7 dkh with an api tested just now 8.5 1.5 dkh swing on 600+ gallons

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;292750 said:
How soon after you mixed, did you test? I actually had Alk of 210 about 45 min after mixing. I figured I'd let it go 8 hours, and by morning it was at 164.
about 6 hrs

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does that swing stabilize soon after the water change. I personally don't think I swing from a water change would make that much affect. I would be interested if there was something else in that salt. Like ironin higher amounts or phosphate source that hasn't yet been broken down into detectable phosphate. Ie fish food at scources of the plant or another organic material that isn't broken down and is preserved by that salt.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bajamike;292738 said:
Ok so I have used Kent religiously for 2 years now. I have tested off and on a few times and always the same results 7 dkh and about 550 calcium....

Honestly its no wonder I'm having issues

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
Mike! I text you a while back about that ;-)

My previous batch of Kent tested at an Alk of about 7.5, but the batch from the aquamart group buy tested higher.

79 degrees
Alk -11.2
Ca - 580
Mg -1570

The Alk swing really gave me problems in my 20...but my cube was suffering from low Alk at the time and the higher levels actual helped turn things around since I wasn't dosing at the time.

I just got a new box of Kent from Cris this weekend and will post results when I mix a new batch...I usually make 35 gallons at a time.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Was just at elite reef asked them to test their water (they use Kent). Sg 1.024 temp I did not ask but alk was what I asked for 8.4

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
hmmmmm curious to see what next box does for you. Ill report mine just as soon as my test kits get in.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oops, forgot to update. My latest box of Kent, which I picked up from Aquatic art, is testing at 10.6 dkh. Parameters pretty much match what I measured from the box I picked up through the group buy.

Hopefully future boxes stay in this range...I'm liking the higher Alk levels :) I've bumped the Alk in my tank up to 9.5 - 10 over the past month and my nems seem happy...I'm going to probably keep it here since the nems don't react at all to my water changes with the matching Alk levels. When I kept the tank at 8dkh and did a water change with 10.5 dkh water they looked a bit annoyed.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So bringing this thread back as I have been having some odd swings from my kent salt.
So with the first few bags I used of the salt I was getting numbers like this
8.1 ph
9.7 dkh
550 ca
1450 mag
Mostly decent numbers, alk a bit high for me but do-able.

But this last bag of it I mixed the numbers changed a bit and a bit concerned about it

ph 7.8
alk 7.7
ca 600+
Mag 1600+

Alk more in line with what I would like but both mag and ca are off the charts, plus the ph on it dropped a bit. Not sure how concerned I should be with it, most everything in the tank looking fine, cept a lobo and an acan have been fairly deflated as of late. Anyone else have any similar issue?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did, and ended up switching salts. The inconsistency between boxes was annoying, and my tank didn't do well with the unbalanced Ca and Alk levels. I have few sps in my cube, but everything eventually lost color and stopped growing. Switched salts while maintaining the same water change schedule, and everything bounced back after 2 water changes...nothing else changed as far as dosing, lighting, or husbandry and parameters...just the salt.

YMMV...but either the inconsistency between boxes or the mix itself gave my tank issues. The salt I switched to has a better balance of parameters, and once my Ca levels fell my Alk stabilized and the tank started thriving again. IMO calcium levels that high can't be healthy; the precipitation collects on warm surfaces like heaters and pumps...aside from the extra cleanup, the calcium carbonate precipitation can also cause Alk to fluctuate...mine just kept dropping and became difficult to maintain above 7.5