Large brown hair algea breakout help!

phillipj2

Butterfly Fish
So after performing my salinity drop to kill the ich in my main tank. I brought it back to .025 and turned on my halides. The brown hair algea is out of control like 1" or better. I knew I would kill stuff off and have to cycle a little again. But this is ridiculous. I just ordered more phosban for my reactor and added 3 large turbo snails. Any thoughts why this got so bad actually within days. It's nasty looking. I've had tanks for years and never had this.

phillipj2

Butterfly Fish
Ok here's some readings for the pros
Alk 9.5
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 7.9
Calcium 400
Salinity .025
Skimmer skimming
Dual reactor phosban 2 months old and carbon
Anyone? I have no clue

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
dinos? if so thats why the nutrients are so low, it consumes them too rapidly to be read.

phillipj2

Butterfly Fish
Just read a couple of forums and people are siphon out. This algea cannot be siphon it's stuck to the rocks and it's not easy to scrub off. The pics of dino look different. Not sure what to do I'm freaking out.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dont freak, this is a normal part of a system getting all the nutrient distribution figured out.
Add a few grazing animals, do regular water changes, maybe a lil carbon, you will be fine.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I went through the exact same thing, super long flowing alge. Got a tang and some turbos and waited. It ended well. =)

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Took a bit. Want to say 2ish weeks possibly longer. The tang and snails helped maintain it, then it went away on its own. Didn't add any chemicals, just the livestock and time. Did water changes weekly (10%) and spent more time watching t.v..

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had the same thing starting in my tank this week. My skimmer pump had randomly stopped working and I didn't notice for a couple of days but I guess that was enough time to develop a problem. I ended up with a small scopas tang from someone breaking down their tank over the weekend. That thing solved my problem before it became an issue. I love it! Aside from my PH dropping all my params are good. Get a tang lol

phillipj2

Butterfly Fish
So today i added 2 abalone sea slugs that was highly recommended from elite reef. I was going to buy a sea hair but they recommended the abalone and said it would mow down the hair algea. Now my hair algea is like 2" long and im disgusted. Hopefully this works they were 25.00 each. Does anyone think i shoiuld cut off my t5's completly i have no idea what to do.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Keep us updated on the abalone, I have never had one and would like to know if they do the job.
How big are they?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If they work you should have some before and after pictures for us all to check out. I have also heard they great at mowing down the algae...

phillipj2

Butterfly Fish

This is about digusting as it gets. The one abalone is pretty active and the other is to stupid to come out from under the rock. Well it hasnt even been a day we'll see. This hair algea is like light tan, looks like it should die off soon i hope.

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes, I swear by my abalones! I have two and they are doing great! I really believe one does the job of 10-20 snails plus eats more types of algae. I had a small algae outbreak before I got the second one and now my tank is literally algae free.