Large brown hair algea breakout help!

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon;99388 said:
Keep us updated on the abalone, I have never had one and would like to know if they do the job.
How big are they?
oh, and about the size of sea hares. Only they dont die after a month! Hardy little boogers.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
The thing is still rocking! Biggest snail/slug I've ever owned.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine is about 2" wide, is that what you mean? I bet he's 5 inches long.

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
i have a abalone i purchased from Elite also he is in a 28 gallon tank and he rocks he was nocturnal for the first 2 months now he grazes during the day and does an excellent job.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i noticed with my HA problem that my rocks were full of detrius and i think that is part of my problem ...even though i have tons of flow there is stick alot of nasties when i blow off the rocks with the turkey baster ....you might try blowing your rocks once a day and see if that helps any

phillipj2

Butterfly Fish
This is now 6" hair algea and it's on the rocks pretty good. Can barely yank it off blowing at it does nothing.
I'm getting to the point of removing all my rock and power washing it. Does anyone think those is a bad idea.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i didn't mean blowing the rocks would blow off the HA but if you see alot of crap coming out when you do that it could be fueling the HA

have you tried tech-m or algae fix ....normally wouldn't recommend algae fix but imo if your to the point where your going to pull the rock i would try that first

phillipj2

Butterfly Fish
What's the best place get tech m. I removed all the corals and turned the lights off permanently. Imjust give then fish a little daylight and thats it. Hopefully I can beat this.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
might contact aquatic art ..i know since they use it they have it by the gallons but not sure if they sell it ...it can get kind of expensive to use the small bottles
what kind of algae is it? ...does it look like bryopsis (kinda like a fern)? ....i think thats the only think tech m works on and it defiantly works good on that

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
ok then ...hmm
call chris at aquatic art ...ask him if he has a minute to give you some ideas

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have never seen anything like it. Pretty nasty. Since I have your corals I would not feed it any light. Add a huge clean up crew IMO. You could buy additives and spend a small fortune and still not work. Patience is key :).

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ever thought about taking the rock out and starting over? What kind of rock is it, could it be leaching phosphate into the water?