Lost another one

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
DT isn't fully cycled yet. I have the Dr. Tim's One and Only that I'm hoping to add tonight to help speed up the cycle. The rock has been curing in a stock tank for about a month. However, this was outside and a 300w heater couldn't keep up with the cold. I'm sure that the bacteria that lives at 45 degrees isn't the same as the bacteria that will live at 78 degrees.

Do you think the butterfly will react ok to hypo? I could easily pull the little live rock I have in the QT and run hypo. However I don't have an ATO on it. I try to top it off twice a day, but I'm sure my wife won't remember to do that while I'm gone.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea its to risky without an ato, butterfly should be fine if u do the DT. Hypo has yo be exact... too little salinity u get pop eye and or death and to much it wont work correctly. But my reason endeavour with it has been great! Fish look fantastic, my clown had terrible ich and two days later he has came back to life and clear as can be.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Drew where are you getting fish from sometimes the reason fish are cheap is the manner in which the fish were collected housed and or shipped

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Both of these fish were from Live Aquaria. Besided the butterfly all the other fish were gotten either from Gonzo or Nick. Butterfly was from a guy in Loveland that was giving him away. He looks great and wasn't in the tank when the saddleback died.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sucks Drew...sorry to hear. Crazy.

I would check electrical conductivity, maybe you have stray voltage in the water?

Or someone turns into a werewolf at night and beats the crap out of the others? Bristletooth to huge compared to others, he would be my guess if this is what is going on.

If you don't see any signs before, rapid breathing/scratching and no spots etc, seems you couldn't have an external parasite. So hypo wouldn't do anything? Maybe I'm wrong?

Dr Tim's is the bomb, I used it. It looks and smells like sewage so it's gotta be the real deal. Probably the most expensive poop in a bottle you can buy, I would use it sparingly since a little should go a long way (as long as you have media for the bacteria to colonize on).

i cycle tanks with zoos corals and fish get a big bottle of cycle 2x the dose and watch for ammonia feed very light nad use amquel to change the bad stuff into its less tocix sold form

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't feel bad drew I lost my baby clown. No idea what happened to him. He went Mia.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 on having a bottle of amquel type product handy to dump in the tank if there is an ammonia emergency during new tank stabilization. i use seachem prime, same thing. but don'mix an ammonia reducer with anything else (meds/conditioner) unless carefully researching first.