my blue carpet anemone is getting some brown color on him..why?

THANKS EVERYONE..! So Im working on bringing it back down...ph 8.0- ammonia 0- nitrite 0- nitrate 80- calcium 400 and salinity 1.024 - I didnt have stuff to check anything else if there is anything else to check...I added some smart start complete which is suppose to help level out the nitrates and ph buffer too...I will do a water change again tomorrow and yes I run a skimmer and its always black water...is the bad that its black> I just got the skimmer about 3 months ago because my other one broke and I knew I needed one soon cause I had been running system without for almost 6 months however I had to wait for my taxes...this single momma doesnt make much as a preschool teacher :/ maybe I picked an expensive hobby but I LOVE MY TANK and It has been doing fine for a little over 3 yrs with low maintenance...Im so grateful for this website and Im grateful for all of you :D

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

If the skimmer has black water it means its working. Just need to clean it so it continues to clean. What other fish do you have in the tank?

David

female LARGE orange nemo hosted with a medium full black and white nemo "full" meaning NO orange color, a juvenile sailfin tang,3 different kinds of damsels, a scooter bleemie, a coral beauty angel, and a brown and white bleemie ...a brittle stare and another star,coral bandit shrimp,cleaner,sexy and fire shrimp,snails and crabs :D...I really want a powder blue tang,queen angel an emporator and a purple tang but those will come in my dream tanks of 2 x 200 g...hopefully built in the wall of my future home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Eventually that salfin will have to be moved, otherwise, I think your stock is ok. You have a reef or just FOWLR?

David

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Do you have corals or fish with only live rock (FOWLR)

David

I have corals too...Kenya tree was my first,green button pulips,nucular holicost (large colony and babies that landed across the tank:D) I had a colony of star pulips but they died because what I thought was good corolin ended up being bad stuff and it kinda kreeptd up on and killed it,then after doing research,relized what it was and got the skimmer up and running and did a massive water change > Tank ended up fine,stary pulips not so much. 2 different kinds of frog spawn and a million of male and female baby anemones that are everywhere

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

I'm always learning. If u ever need help, more then welcome to pm me.

David

AWESOME!!! :D THANKS!!! Well Im done for the night...gonna go relax before bed...gotta be up by 4:30 :D good night and thanks so much for your help...Im learning a lot on this sight :D

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

How goes the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well I got some nitrate remover and did a water change but I have been researching for 4 hrs now on this vodka method I have heard works miracials....anyone on here actually done it? and what are peoples thoughts. My tank is pretty established, and I have crushed coral not sand bed so Im thinking Im the perfect candit for the vodka treatment if done RIGHT!! and very carefully ..I have saved all the info which I have read 2 x and will go over again and again before beginning as well as research more more more and make sure my info is completely accurate according to successful vodka treatments :D have you tried this?

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

My rule is to never dose what I can't test for.

David

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dose vodka when my levels get higher than id like to see them. I have alot of fish in my 90 and do water changes every 2 weeks after the first week I start dosing vodka 2.5 ml a day keeps my nitrates at 2 or less and also helps with phosphate removal. I don't usually dose in my frag tank but sometimes I do if Algea starts taking over. It helps keep my Algea down to just simple glass cleaning. I go on and off depending on levels. Usually by the end of the 2nd week I'm down to 1ml of vodka. I check levels before a water change and than a day after. That way I know what its like before to see what levels are dropping and what's raising. I run dose pumps so this also just lets me verify everything is in line.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Slow down. Get the lights changed. Watch your feeding and take measure in a week, or two. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby.

There is a whole lot more to know before you should be dosing any kind of carbon source.

jda123;250200 said:
Slow down. Get the lights changed. Watch your feeding and take measure in a week, or two. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby.

There is a whole lot more to know before you should be dosing any kind of carbon source.
+100000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk