Named/LE Corals

Named/LE Corals

• Yes, and I don't mind paying $$$ per Polyp!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Color and a Fair Price are more important!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
WrasseAttack;84016 said:
Does anybody know the true story of Jason Fox?
I visited the club he lives near and the rumors they told are much, much worse. But they are just rumors. Had I heard it from him, who really knows. If I could pick up a coral for $200 and sell it for $1000 a polyp I would do it. And my friends and I would laugh our arses off. Just saying.

spstimie;84019 said:
I visited the club he lives near and the rumors they told are much, much worse. But they are just rumors. Had I heard it from him, who really knows. If I could pick up a coral for $200 and sell it for $1000 a polyp I would do it. And my friends and I would laugh our arses off. Just saying.
Yeah that's the story going around.

It's not like he's the only game in town. You actually have a choice to buy his overpriced corals or not so you can't blame the guy for taking advantage of the situation.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not my style. If I knew any of it was true I would have already done something about it.

I wish I could pull off that mark up. I would get to go diving a lot more.

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
The consumer is obviously at least partially to blame, and I get the whole "what the market will pay" argument, but there is a point when it becomes insanity, usually followed by market collapse, and IMO we are quickly approaching, or at that point.

$1000 per eye Chalices? $600 per polyp Zoas? Madness.
The Hype Engine in the age of the Internet is out of control.

For Example, a little close to home maybe, but Happy People Eaters...
Decent looking, but after seeing it under "real" lighting, $10 a polyp seems steep.

"But they're RARE!"

I counted at least 60+ polyps bought by this club alone, and you can bet there are alot of other clubs doing the same. All because of a post on a blog. Rare and LE?

Since the whole name/hype craze kicked into full gear, nice looking colony availability has plummeted. That nice mature colony that ran $70 for 100 polyps will cost you upwards of $2000 bucks assuming you can find more than two polyps at a time.

How much more did the diver get paid? Maybe a couple bucks more. Cherry Picker shows up at wholesaler, buys colony for $30 tops, takes LED lite picture, posts on blog/forum...

MAGIC!

Frags net $2000-$3000.
All in a days work...

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dont think anyone claimed that the happy people eaters are rare. Also, $10 a polyp is a good deal, its reasonable. Sure years ago you could by zoas by the pound but things are different now :(

I think the problem is the cherry picker at the wholesaler looking for a coral not seen before and trying to make it their own. Its not YOUR coral. You didnt discover it. Tyree didnt dive into the ocean, discover a coral and pick it from the reef. What right does the retailer or Tyree have to name anything. Show me your credentials!!!!!! Chances are they probably didnt even pass biology 101 in school.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Whats even more funny. Is you $1000 per eye chalice, and your $20 chalice colony. Are the same species. The only difference is the symbiotic algae that is hosting them which gives off the colors.

I am always one to side on the fault of the consumer though. If someone wasn't willing to pay $1000 for one coral, no one would be selling it.

I think naming corals is kind of like naming stars, anyone can do it. But atleast with stars it is documented. With coral there is no authority to keep track of things. Another thing it reminds me of, is the company in LA selling land on the moon. Can they? who cares. Are they? Hell yea, and business is good.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
oohh and just so you guys know, im a hypocrite! I have a $1,000 a eye chalice sitting in my frag rack

Isnt it perty :) :) :)

btw the only reason I have this is because I was given a offer I couldn't refuse. There is NO WAY in **** that I would pay near that amount for any coral. I hope to propagate it out and sell it really cheap.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just want to sell a couple eyes really cheap just because I can but mostly want it to grow out. Wife complains because I am always buying buying buying and rarely selling - but mostly giving away stuff. That reminds me I need to frag up my dbtc's...

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
We should get one of those chalices in the dbtc!

The whole naming extreme price thing isn't just limited to corals. You look at snowflake clowns which are sometimes $500 for a pair? They're a genetic screwup that normally most breeders toss because it can contaminate breeding populations, but people will pay hundreds for them.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;84042 said:
oohh and just so you guys know, im a hypocrite! I have a $1,000 a eye chalice sitting in my frag rack

btw the only reason I have this is because I was given a offer I couldn't refuse. There is NO WAY in **** that I would pay near that amount for any coral. I hope to propagate it out and sell it really cheap.
So I feel like I have to play Devil's advocate here. Kris, you guys are the consumers driving this demand. I understand you only paid like $200 for the corals, but look at it from the distributors point of view. He sold 1 eye for $1000 which is all he cares about. Regardless of how many times you cut it up, or how many went in on the group buy. In the end, that $1000 is in the pocket of the distributor further justifying to him that he can keep the prices like this, because they are obviously selling.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Derek I agree 100% with you but how could I pass up getting 4 chalices for $250 - the retail cost from WWC is $2500 for 3 eyes and unknown on a the price of my chalice. You can't tell me you wouldnt do the same if you had the extra cash to do so. My contribution back though will be selling a couple eyes for waaaaay less then those crooks at WWC.