Need a little help

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
wow ok here is how I have Cindys (180 gallon) AI's set up 18" awl. 100% on RB 100% on blues all day 5 hrs on whites 65% with 90 minute ramp time. So 90 up 90 down. How long are the whites on? any longer than 5 hours is way to long IMO. Think of whites as mid day light to much and nothing good will come of it. He has the lights 9" closer on a smaller tank IMO I would cut his lights atleast a 1/3 the power. I would only run the whites 3 hrs and start them at about 40% back the other lights down to 70% I think that would be a good starting place

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Need a little help

I need to go back and grab the current lighting timers. I believe the cw have a max of 15%. The RB and violets are the most with 50%(currently), 55% & 56% previously. I'm unsure if he had it manual or on one of the regional settings.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It it was the lights, the other SPS would be freaking too. Besides, if you have SPS on the sand that are RTN'ing from too much light, you would be melting anything higher up in the tank, including most softies and LPS.

I would focus elsewhere, like the new pellets grew a rash of bacteria that took the nutrients too close to zilch too fast.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Need a little help

The quick nutrient drop would do it.

The acro in question bit it this afternoon, there's some tn going on, maybe rapid maybe slow. A monti started to recede.

Lighting schedule, values in %(currently), there's ramp up/down times that I didn't write down

Timer 1
Start 0800
CW 0
DR 0
GR 0
BR 0
DB 50
RV 0

Timer 2
Start 0845
CW 0
DR 0
GR 0
BR 0
DB 50
RV 50

Timer 3
Start 0930
CW 0
DR 0
GR 0
BR 50
DB 50
RV 50

Timer 4
Start 1015
CW 50
DR 15
GR 15
BR 50
DB 50
RV 50

Timer 5
Start 2000
CW 0
DR 0
GR 0
BR 50
DB 50
RV 50

Timer 6
Start 2000
CW 0
DR 0
GR 0
BR 0
DB 50
RV 50

Timer 7
Start 2000
CW 0
DR 0
GR 0
BR 0
DB 50
RV 0

Timer 8
Start 2000
CW 0
DR 0
GR 0
BR 0
DB 3
RV 0

Again, there's various ramping going on. Lights are AI Vegas if you guys didn't know. Let's get a new lighting schedule going!

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had problems when I installed my new Radions, turns out I had them turned up to high. Try turning your LED's down.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, turn them down....way down. I turned my Radions down to 70% output at their peak and all the problems stopped. We don't realize just how bright the LED's are because they don't bleed into the room as much as the MH or t5's (thus the lower energy bill).

My tank is SPS heavy. I've got all the fancy/ hard to keep stuff like Pearlberry, Strawberry Shortcake, Jedi Mind trick, as well as some wild colonies and now they are loving the radions.

Here are the subtle signs that I noticed (over the 2 months that I had my Radions turned way up):
-The skimmate in my skimmer was more clear than usual. I think this is a sign that corals are metabolizing more, but I'm no marine biologist.

-My montipora colonies at the bottom of my tank started to change to a darker color at first and then they started to STN, which is almost unheard of with montipora. I've almost completely lost one of my giant colonies; though it is slowly recovering now. Guess they weren't used to all of that newly found light.

-My wild acro's started to bleach a little, but have since become more vibrant again as they recover.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jamie, With my LED's I started at about 20% and turned them up 1% per day. When I got to about 55-60% I noticed both of my Stylo and Birdsnest colonies started to bleech. I stopped turned it up, but they died off. I then dropped the light down about 6% and haven't had any issues.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Need a little help

Ok definitely lost some stuff. Not as bad as I had thought but not great either. I did lose the shortcake and Cali tort and a piece of red planet from what I can tell. However wont know till morning full damage. Stupid me should never have done water change before I left. Amongst other things. What does everyone suggest as best coarse of action. Frag what I have or leave it be for now and focus on water changes and turn lights down or any other suggestions

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Frag 'em... at least a few off of each coral. It can help with STN and RTN. Fortunately, none of those corals that you listed should be hard to replace, but unfortunately, they are also not even remotely hard to keep so something is definitely out of whack. Hit me up when you get back on your feet and I can restock you with some of those. If you give me a few weeks notice, I can have them encrusted nicely on a plug.

Sorry to hear all of this.

Do you worry that you are putting the wrong kind of light into your tank? There is no dimmer on the sun and all of those could do just fine outside in 12" of water under the sun... so too much (in general) is not really an issue.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Need a little help

I think the water change which I don't do on regular schedule along with LEDs being bumped up and cleaning the skimmer which really boosted skimming all compounded into a problem while I was gone. The strawberry sort cake and Cali tort are only two that I haven't been able to get decent growth from. Thank you for the offer I may have to take you up on it. I will know more in the morning. My tank is normally stable. Going to retest tomorrow

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;235766 said:
Sorry to hear all of this.

Do you worry that you are putting the wrong kind of light into your tank? There is no dimmer on the sun and all of those could do just fine outside in 12" of water under the sun... so too much (in general) is not really an issue.
So are you saying the sun is just as intense at 8 am as it is 12 pm or even 5 pm?

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;235766 said:
There is no dimmer on the sun and all of those could do just fine outside in 12" of water under the sun... so too much (in general) is not really an issue.
there is actually. The sun has a perfect curve on light intensity throughout the day. With 1p or so being the max intensity depending on the location.

Also, most corals are much deeper than 12"

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Need a little help

Think I found part of the problem. I did my water changes with a different salt. I used reef crystals which has a high alk content. My dosing pumps have still been going at the same rate. So when Jamie and I tested the alk tonight it was at 14 instead if the ten I have been keeping it at. What are the thoughts on turning pumps off and doing 30 gallon water change.