need help badly

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi everyone,
I need some help very badly. My fiance (some of you may know him- Nate) and I just split, and he moved out. We had a coral 'farming' operation in the house (about 5 tanks, lots of coral and fish, reefkeeper, sumps, RODI unit, skimmers, all kinds of chemicals for dosing), and he was the one that took care of it all. I have some basic knowledge, but I don't know what to do to keep it alive.
PLEASE can someone help me?
I need to know what to do for maintenance, how to use the reefkeeper, that kind of thing. I think I would like to keep one tank, if I can learn how to maintain it properly. I don't want all the corals to die and the tanks to crash just because of this situation. Also, some help in identifying the corals he left behind and what their market value is would be great, because if I could recoup some of the money that I put up to get this business going that would really be a blessing.
Please, call me at 703.209.3988. As you can imagine, there's a lot going on, so if I don't answer, please leave a message and I'll call you back as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Cindy

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where are you located?

If you have that much to learn, liquidation might be the best way to recoup.

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
Cindy, I'm close and can come help though I'm no expert

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
spstimie;197537 said:
Where are you located?

If you have that much to learn, liquidation might be the best way to recoup.
+1 its not something you can just learn in a few days. It's something that takes months or years to learn. If you have all that money invested in corals and fish it would be better to sell it than lose the money if something goes wrong. Just my $.02. As for information this site and people have a lot of knowledge that can help with ID and prices

I'm Matt
SE Aurora

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
A few of the sponsors here run aquarium maintenance and decomissioning services, if you get into a pinch. I'm sure someone like Nick at Ambrosio or Aquatic Arts, or a similar outfit might be able to assist you, IF you go that route. There's a TON of info for whatever specific topic (ReefKeeper, equipment, corals, lighting,etc.) online. I'm assuming you already have the basic knowlege of marine aquaria & maintenance, so that's a good foundation, depending on how involved you were in day-to-day operations with your business.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Cindy, Im sorry to hear. Im also close, Ive bought frags form Nate before and traded some stuff as well. Id be happy to help out as well. Im no expert when it comes to reef keepers, but i have a bit of knowledge on them and I can definatly help educate you to properly maintain a tank. Ill PM you my number so you have it if you need it.

zerillit

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Giving you a call. I have lots of experience. I've killed a lot of animals by so many different errors. Sad but true, sometimes that is the way we learn. I have about 10 years experience. Let's discuss your needs.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Terri,
good to see you back on the boards.....do you happen to have those breeding nassarius snails still?
I'd like to buy some from you if you do. Thanks
Gale

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cindy,

Sorry to hear about the situation. I can't imagine having something like that dropped on me, but I want to believe that you can deal with it and grow if your interest is solid on the hobby even as a business. I'm down in the Springs so I doubt that i would be of much assistance, however there are plenty of good members here that are generally interested in helping out.
I wish you the very best in moving forward wth whatever direction that you choose to go. If you have an interest in this hobby, you have a wealth of knowledge here in the group.
Not to be on the down side, but i am almost positive that i've seen a craigs list posting of the items you are talking about with the person leaving a cell number and going by the name of Nate. I can't find it right now, but if anyone else has seen it or remembers it, please correct me if i am wrong.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Thank you all SO much for such an amazing response.

Yes, he did list on craiglist without my knowledge or authorization, and was able to sell several things before he was arrested. (This whole situation is just surreal to me. Never thought I'd be dealing with this at all.)

The good thing is that I was somewhat involved with actually setting the tanks up in the beginning (not just paying for everything) and learning about the hobby and what is involved, so I'm familiar with where the water parameters need to be, know how to do the tests, feed the fish and corals, and know a little bit about some of the corals. I do want to liquidate the majority of what is here, but I have no way of knowing how much things are worth. Some of the corals we had are lower end stuff (leathers, mushrooms, candy canes, zoas), others are higher end (some of the SPS, etc). The biggest thing I need help with is just understanding the reefkeeper and getting a system in place for maintenance (auto topoff, dosing, the RODI, etc) for my tank. Anyone that can help me with that stuff will be taking home a bagful of corals for sure.

kmellon;197571 said:
Cindy,

Sorry to hear about the situation. I can't imagine having something like that dropped on me, but I want to believe that you can deal with it and grow if your interest is solid on the hobby even as a business. I'm down in the Springs so I doubt that i would be of much assistance, however there are plenty of good members here that are generally interested in helping out.
I wish you the very best in moving forward wth whatever direction that you choose to go. If you have an interest in this hobby, you have a wealth of knowledge here in the group.
Not to be on the down side, but i am almost positive that i've seen a craigs list posting of the items you are talking about with the person leaving a cell number and going by the name of Nate. I can't find it right now, but if anyone else has seen it or remembers it, please correct me if i am wrong.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Cindy, I sent you a personal message with my number. Id be happy to come over and help you identify things and price things out accordingly, I can also give a hand at getting you a nice system set up wit everyhting you have. I ask for nothing, just the gratification of helping out another fellow reefer. I could easily come by Sunday with my son and we could get you going. Just let me know

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks ReefCheif. I will happily take you up on that. Anytime that works for you I will be here. I am absolutely at your disposal. Thank you all again for everything. I don't want to kill anything, nor am I willing to give up my amazing 125 gal desk lamp. :)

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Give me a call tonight or tomarrow and we can set something up. BTW, my name is Josh, I think we have met before when I was over there a time or two, but maybe not, too many names and faces for me to remember.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a reefkeeper and can give you all the info you need and can show you how to use it and what it does.

I'm Matt
SE Aurora

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, Matt! I have the reefkeeper with the net thingie. I remember Nate doing all the settings and stuff online. I may need some help with getting into it, because I don't know where to start. I'm gonna call Josh, who said he could come over and help out with the tank maintenance stuff. Is there a good time/way to reach you to learn about the reefkeeper?

The other thing that's got me kinda freaked out is that the zoas in my tank appear to have melted. My pipe organ, purple deaths, candy canes, whips, brain, purple goni, shrooms, ricordias, and leathers are all totally fine. Zoas were DOA when I was able to get back into my house again. What on earth could cause that? I thought most zoas were pretty tough.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
CindyL;197622 said:
Thanks, Matt! I have the reefkeeper with the net thingie. I remember Nate doing all the settings and stuff online. I may need some help with getting into it, because I don't know where to start. I'm gonna call Josh, who said he could come over and help out with the tank maintenance stuff. Is there a good time/way to reach you to learn about the reefkeeper?

The other thing that's got me kinda freaked out is that the zoas in my tank appear to have melted. My pipe organ, purple deaths, candy canes, whips, brain, purple goni, shrooms, ricordias, and leathers are all totally fine. Zoas were DOA when I was able to get back into my house again. What on earth could cause that? I thought most zoas were pretty tough.
The zoa thing is certainly strange.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks- I'll check that in the morning. I need to do a round of tests to see where everything is at. Right now I'm too wiped out to read the colors with any level of confidence. Then I'll start going through the chemicals and see if I can get those organized, and do whatever dosing is needed to bring things back into line.