Need help with controller!

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm happy to continue to try and troubleshoot it here? Let me know if you want me to continue.

Or you can bring it to Seth or myself, since we are both north of you, that will involve a little drive.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
question: In the video, what are you powering the led's with?
I am assuming you glued down the led's with thermal epoxy?

Last edited by a moderator:

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
did you have a meter attached? Meters have an internal battery that is used to measure the resistance and continuity, and I'm guessing that's what making it light?

I haven't attached any thing. The wires are attached to the drivers but the drivers aren't plugged into power. Unless I'm giving it power I'm stumped.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm wondering if something isn't connected right since your controller is sending power directly to your led string, it should be isolated by the driver.

But we can rule out the grounding first. Make sure everything is disconnected, then set your meter for continuity (so it beeps if you put the probes together). make sure one lead is attached very well to your heat sink, and then check every pad on your leds individually. If it beeps you've got a bad joint.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
you can use 2 AA batteries in series (~ 3 volts) to check each led. make sure the string is unhooked and you have the polarity right or it wont light.

When I used my meter on dc power it lit each light. I haven't gotten any beeps with continuity. I have some free time on Sunday that I can bring this thing somewhere before I end up lighting it on fire

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sophie1213;341485 said:
When I used my meter on dc power it lit each light. I haven't gotten any beeps with continuity. I have some free time on Sunday that I can bring this thing somewhere before I end up lighting it on fire

I am free on Sunday if you want to bring it up.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So the problem was trying to run 36 3w LEDs on a 48v in series. It needed to be 3 strands of 12 LEDs ran in parallel. So now each strand of 12 is being ran at 624mA. Also, the dimming wires were pluged into the 1-10v PWM dimmer plugs instead of the 1-10v analog dimming plugs. Now that everything is working. It is a wicked bright light and I am seeing spots... :p

Some pics...