Need ID on this critter

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
def good advice all around and I def agree with just moving forward and setting up the new biocube with new live sand (Arag Alive - AquaMart sells it I know) and a few new rocks since you you are only talking enough rock to get a cycle going and
completed.

http://www.caribsea.com/caribsea/itempage_marine_substrates_aragalive.html

However here is a spin on how I would handle it..........

1. Read the below thread and dip the rocks in the same manner only increase the dosage of the Revive to suggested volume per bottle instructions (yes you will kill off any inverts and pods on the rocks but you can just dose the new tank
2. Put the rocks back into the same cube
3. Repeat dosing every 5 days until you no longer see any signs of nudibranchs
4. Do weekly 25% water changes - in order to help what could be/ prob will be stressed corals by giving them a good batch of SW elements :p
5. Keep this going until you see no sign of nudibranchs anywhere - I would guess 6 weeks or so just to be sure

http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums...ad.php?t=25011

Thanks Chad yes I will be going to aquamart for my sand they r the only ones who carry the one I want which is Bimini pink.....am I dipping the rock that is going into the new tank as well or just the old tanks rock also anyone know who carries the coral rx so I can get it or willing to meet up since I'm up north of Denver .....I've called some places close to me but no bueno on it in stock

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
BansheeGrl10;320026 said:
Ok that makes sense to just get it set up and running I have live rock that is in a bucket with sw and air stone so it didn't dry up so just need to get sand and water for the new tank not sure what I am gonna do with my fish yet but have 2 other tanks that r running as well so I am sure I can find a home for them til new tank is setup just need to get the coral rx so I can dip them in the process of setting up to minimize some risk to all my zoas and gonna move my zoas out of my 16 g as well and qt them ......we also have a tank that's just my husbands that's FOWLR with angels would I possibly be able to put my zoas in there while doing tear down and setup of old tank cuz I have to move it from upstairs to downstairs before I can setup the new biocube
Since you are up north, you might try Great white for Coral RX, or there are plenty of other reefers up there that might have some too. If you are in Denver, or even going to the meeting this weekend, I could bring you some as well.
You could potentially move the zoa into the angel tank, although the angel's may decide that you have given them a nice tasty snack and start nibbling on them, but they may also leave them alone all together too. You could put a basket or something over the top of them to protect them from the fish, just in case too.

BansheeGrl10;320030 said:
Also how long do I have til the pests wipe everything out obviously this whole thing is prolly gonna take at least a week to get the whole switch done just wanna make sure I'm not gonna lose most of my stock before it's all done
How long would depend on the level of infestation. Have you noticed any lose of the zoas yet or are they still largely intact? If the colonies are still largely intact, you may have a bit of time, but if you are seeing them disappear already then you will want to try and do it as quickly as possible.

I am not aware of the mtg this weekend but am interested in going......I have to get my sand this weekend and being as aquamart has the one I want I could go to the mtg.....it's seems that all zoas r still intact I removed 3 nudibranchs last night and all zoas are open except for my colony of red ones that have been closed for a few days now......I'm just worried that they won't make it til the weekend if I don't dip as I was thinking of dipping now then temp housing in FOWLR tank til everything is moved and setup I can move all other corals my 16g nuvo to house them til u finish with the other two cubes and could move fish from current cube to my 16g and FOWLR tank as well

Lol he is prolly sick of me I'm there like every weekend and was just there yesterday too bad I didn't see them til last nite lol ......I'll hit him up and see

Perfect gotta go there so I'll just go to the mtg and then get sand for my tank too thanks guys I appreciate all the help I will keep you all posted

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nudis are flatworms and Flatworm Exit or Levamisole will kill them. Just follow the directions and have carbon ready to clean up any toxins. You will need to do it several times a week for several weeks to get any eggs that might have hatched.

You can also easily get them with a freshwater dip with temp adjusted RO. 10 minutes will get 'em. Again, this will take weeks.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
jda123;320047 said:
Nudis are flatworms and Flatworm Exit or Levamisole will kill them. Just follow the directions and have carbon ready to clean up any toxins. You will need to do it several times a week for several weeks to get any eggs that might have hatched.

You can also easily get them with a freshwater dip with temp adjusted RO. 10 minutes will get 'em. Again, this will take weeks.
I didnt realize that these are indeed are a type of flatworm. Thanks for the info. I did a bit of looking into it and came across this which might help in the fight against these critters.
https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/resources.asp?show=15

Alright guys so I got the sand for the new tank and I am doing the big move tomorrow......I will be tearing down the old cube and moving it down stairs and setting the new cube up with LR and new SW and some biospira......I also got prazipro do deal with the pest as it was recommended to be better option than the coral rx anyways my question is do I treat the whole entire tank or do dip as the old tank will only have zoas in it and I also got a 6 line wrasse for it as well.....let me know guys

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would try it as a dip first to see if it works and how it affects your corals. That one is new to me...but a quick search did find a few threads referencing prazi pro as a treatment for nudis. They did mention that they needed to dose at about 5x the recommendation on the bottle though, so it would be safer to use it as a dip.

Let us know how it goes. Also keep in mind that you may have to dip once a week or so for a few weeks since eggs typically aren't susceptible to dips.

Well first step of the process is done......the old tank is moved downstairs I have zoa colonies in it right now and the only things left as stock is a 6 line wrasse and Blenny just have to move my bubble tip nem to my nuvo tank ......I am gonna wait to do the dip til tomorrow since I stressed the tank out doing the move now tonight I have to setup the new biocube upstairs and get that cycling......the prazipro was recommended by elite reef and another member of the forum so we shall see I will keep u all updated on the progress ....I did notice last night when moving stock around tanks some zoas fell off the frag plug and there were some small nudis on the plug so fingers crossed........what a process this is and lesson learned

Ok so the new tank is set up and I added biospira .....so now to wait for it to cycle and will do the prazipro dip tomorrow.......hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel and soon I'll be able to enjoy my tanks more than I work on them

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have used prazipro many times in my discus tanks to both get rid of gill flukes and prevent them. This stuff WILL KILL ANY INVERT! snails, worms, shrimp(oops) have all suffered the wrath of prazipro in my freshwater systems. It has never caused any stress to my Discus or other fish, but it does make the water agitate more(bubbles as if there is soap in the water)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
BansheeGrl10;320380 said:
Ok so the new tank is set up and I added biospira .....so now to wait for it to cycle and will do the prazipro dip tomorrow.......hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel and soon I'll be able to enjoy my tanks more than I work on them
Hang in there, as with anything saltwater, it takes time and patience, but I am sure you will be rewarded in the end.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have used prazipro in my reef tank before to try and help with flukes. In the tank. Nothing was affected but some worms. At high does, it will kill lots of stuff, but so will just about anything. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS including shaking it up before dosing.

FWE is quite safe at removing these things. It can get nasty if you have a bunch since the worms can release toxins as they die - just have a bunch of carbon on hand and maybe some water for a water change. IMO, this would be less stress that dipping and stuff. I do recommend basting the corals so that the water gets in between all of the polyps.

Well dip is complete........I put zoas in prazipro dip used a toothbrush to get them off frag plug or rock......also ended up getting some bristle worms out lol .......I noticed that the larger ones came out ........after I scrubbed I then placed in coral revive there the smaller ones came off then after that I put in clean SW rinse here r some pics kinda hard to tell but a lot of junk came off
first pic is prazipro.....coral revive ......clean SW