New and need help

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;143696 said:
Before you buy any more corals I have some zoas and some leathers left from a tank I'm tearing down. You are welcome to them if you want them to try. I'm planning on turning off the tank this weekend (assuming I can get someone to pick up their fish, ahem, Dillon, lol).
Lol i will pick him up tomorrow:)

dboozen;143654 said:
I have 155 gallon with 2 36" corallife T-5 lights on top with a large refrigerium on the bottom. I have had it up and running now for just about a year. I had some good coral growth first on but had a heater go out while on vacation which the tank temp dropped to just above 60 degrees and since then cant get anything to stay alive. I have tested the water as well as others and they say it looks great. This has been going on for about 5 months now. I am going to replace my T5s today. I lost toadstools and cant even keep a pulsing zenia alive.
5 months is a long die off cycle if u lost a lot in the tank but still possible. Are ya testing your water routinely? Could be mix of bad params and sub optimal lightin.
If ya havent tested yet, should hit your basic tests ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, alk, and calc. Local fish store can help with testing if u dobt have kits yet.
Would offer to visit, but im from the springs.
Gl with the tests, post up some more info. Theres a ton of people happy to help diagnose and trouble shoot.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Basically, a marine system needs an equilibrium of circumstance-- light (quality and quantity), chemistry, filtration, flow, temp, and bacterial cycle.
Your system is questionable in most, if not all of these categories, to properly address the situation you will need to begin by eliminating potential factors.
I would start with lights, flow, and temp, as these will affect the chemistry and potentially the bacterial cycle, also light and flow cannot be affected by another factor.
After these are stabilized you will be able to address the chemistry through dosing and filtration.