New cube build

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
As far as I know, the smudges are here to stay. Weld-on actually bonds the acrylic together, think of melting it together. Maybe you can buff them out? I personally wouldn't worry about it. Have you seen the massive scratches on my tank....I don't worry about those either, unless I have to scrape algae out of them then it sucks.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
oh ok lol the smudges are from the silicone residue not from the weld on. I used a little paint brush for that. no mess it was a snap

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Denvercherub;94271 said:
well the weld on is vastly superior to any glue/silicone. There are some small gaps though. I will try to make a paste out of shavings, if not I will get the weldon 16 or w/e number it was. Don't mind the smudges I will clean them when it's on...
Nice work, looks good.

Yes Weldon 16 is the thicker stuff, but make sure to only put a small bead otherwise it could eat the acrylic and cause a larger hole. It dries smaller than the amount you place on there, so it can dry with holes especially if you put as much as you would when you caulk or silicon something. You can also use silicon now to stop the leaks, but in the long run the Weldon 16 will be much better since silicon doesn't actually stick to the acrylic.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;94382 said:
Nice work, looks good.

Yes Weldon 16 is the thicker stuff, but make sure to only put a small bead otherwise it could eat the acrylic and cause a larger hole. It dries smaller than the amount you place on there, so it can dry with holes especially if you put as much as you would when you caulk or silicon something. You can also use silicon now to stop the leaks, but in the long run the Weldon 16 will be much better since silicon doesn't actually stick to the acrylic.
That stuff sounds dangerous...

Maybe I will try something else. I will research and see what i can do. The gaps aren't huge at all just enough for drops to go through.

Anyway here are a couple of pics with the box on the back. Don't tease my slits lol I did the best I could with the tools I had.

[attachment=59792:name]

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking good....

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I set it up to test the pump and make sure the stand wont collapse lol. The pump was great! Also it passed the leak test! I mean a couple of thing leaked but I haven't sealed that stuff yet. It should be good to add water late tonight or tomorrow... weee!

[attachment=59795:name]

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Denvercherub;94564 said:
I set it up to test the pump and make sure the stand wont collapse lol. The pump was great! Also it passed the leak test! I mean a couple of thing leaked but I haven't sealed that stuff yet. It should be good to add water late tonight or tomorrow... weee!

View attachment 2251 View attachment 2252
Looks great... You did a great job on everything.

Have you tested that the overflow will keep up with the pump speed? Also make sure it will keep up even if your largest snail decides to stop on a few of the slits.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;94576 said:
Looks great... You did a great job on everything.

Have you tested that the overflow will keep up with the pump speed? Also make sure it will keep up even if your largest snail decides to stop on a few of the slits.
Thanks for that :) It wasn’t a fun project lol I doubt I will ever do that again. Well I didn't do a snail test but it kept up beautifully. I don’t think I will keep turbos in this one. They wreak havoc on things. I have a Kenya tree that was smashed by one and it just lays there. Though it wasn’t very perky to begin with lol. I am making one of those slurp silencers in the overflow box which will keep the water at a perfect level at all times. Then sealing those bulkheads. Will the Weld On work on those too?

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
They’re not clamps they’re those hose thingies lol I don’t know what they’re called but they’re ribbed at an angle designed so you can push the hose in and it holds on the outward motion. Power out would just result in lost flow, it wouldn't over flow since the water levels are designed to not exceed each other. When power returns it would just start again. It's all on the pump...

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Denvercherub;94599 said:
They’re not clamps they’re those hose thingies lol I don’t know what they’re called but they’re ribbed at an angle designed so you can push the hose in and it holds on the outward motion. Power out would just result in lost flow, it wouldn't over flow since the water levels are designed to not exceed each other. When power returns it would just start again. It's all on the pump...
Except for the siphon affect that happens when the water drains back through your returns into the sump. I might get a little water coming from the overflow when the pump shuts off, but I get almost a gallon of water from the siphon.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Right it wont be too bad I won't have the sump filled to the rim ever except maybe after a water change or evap cap off. eh maybe I will get a battery back up lol

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I get 4" of backup when I turn off my pumps, I was just hoping you did a test already so you know if you need to reduce the water levels if this ever happens. I put marks on my sump to know my max level I can fill it. I'll tell your roomie when he gets here.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Marks are a great idea. I just had it half full and it went to 70-75% when I turned off the pump. I will do the marks for sure now. Thanks for that!

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Finally got it all set up! Water in it, sand, rocks. I used 25 gallons of the water from my old tank and most the sand. Same rocks of course. As I started taking pictures of it the white lights on my new chinese LEDs went out, turned off as I watched! They would not come on for anything. So annoying... Anyway i took the fixture apart and disconnected the whites and reconnected them and now they works again. Not sure wtf... Here's a pic from my phone though, not the best quality. The dust is still setteling. It's been about 11 hours since I put the sand in. I will put up nicer pics once everything settles down and I get it arranged the way I want. My fish are in a smaller tank waiting to be transfered.

[attachment=59804:name]

I wasn't sure how to do so with the fish. Since it's half water from the old tank and half new water it's essentially like doing a 50/50 water change. So is it safe to just put the fish in or should I wait for a new cycle?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
You should wait until your ammonia, nitrites, are zero. Do a w/c to get your no3 down. Then add your fish. Ideally you should add then slowly, but I think reducing stress is a priority.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk