Not good...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;168559 said:
Can you elaborate on the carbon/bp connection? I've never heard of it.

Sent using Forum Runner
X2... I've been running both... Is that why nothing's happening in my tank?

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;168563 said:
Supposedly.... the carbon will cause a counter effect with the bp, most manufacturers suggest not running bp with carbon or phosphate but state that little harm is done by running phosphate. I could not tell you the specific or scientific reason behind it but from what i understand whatever living organisms are in your bp (this being the reason it takes six weeks to take effect) are harmed or strip from your system by the carbon. Like i said thats definitely not the scientific explanation but that is what i discovered during my search for bp

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;168563 said:
You have only been running bio pellets for 2 months. Carbon dosing in any form can take up to 3-4 months to take effect.

I am not convinced that activated carbon has any effect on carbon dosing. I run BRS Rox carbon and change it out every 2 weeks and I carbon dose just fine. Granted I use vodka/vinegar but its the same methodology just a different avenue to get there. Activated Carbon does not remove nutrients - they only thing the bacteria needs to live is nutrients and a carbon source.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dbarnes;168534 said:
I cant run carbpn because of my bio pellets, it will de-nature the bio pellets. But i did about 75% water change over the last 24 hrs and all my zoas, lps and softies are looking 100% better, my sps are still looking like ****. Now that i have my tests done i can 100% confirm it was the death of my sea hares that caused it but i wish i new what caused their deaths because they were very beneficial to my system cuc

Glad to hear things are looking up!! Sorry to hear about the sea hares. How big is your system?? I'm starting to get worried now since I have two big sea hares in my tank now. They don't seem to be taking care of algae at all, other than the sand bed. Just worried they might die and start nuking my tank like yours. :(

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;168608 said:
Glad to hear things are looking up!! Sorry to hear about the sea hares. How big is your system?? I'm starting to get worried now since I have two big sea hares in my tank now. They don't seem to be taking care of algae at all, other than the sand bed. Just worried they might die and start nuking my tank like yours. :(
My system is about 250 TWV, yea mine were rockin the algea but not sure what the hell happened

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dbarnes;168621 said:
My system is about 250 TWV, yea mine were rockin the algea but not sure what the hell happened

Yikes, won't sleep good tonight then. ;) Hope it's looking up for you!! My hares aren't taking after algae very well, so I'm concerned...might have to pull them. :(

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Damn that's crazy bro sorry to hear that those sea hares were doing well in my tank for 3months with no issue I had little Ph swings and salinity swings wounded wat caused them to die

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;168941 said:
I jinxed myself...came home to a dead sea hare tonight. Everything seems fine, so I hope it stays that way. That thing stunk like crazy when I took it out. They are no bueno when they croke.

Not good man, mine is starting to look much better, sps are even starting to show signs of life too. Again not sure what caused mine to take a nasty turn, my control records all my data and there were absolutely no shifts in salinity, ph, or temp. I think one of my Crabbe's got um idk if its a possibility or not.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dbarnes;168945 said:
Not good man, mine is starting to look much better, sps are even starting to show signs of life too. Again not sure what caused mine to take a nasty turn, my control records all my data and there were absolutely no shifts in salinity, ph, or temp. I think one of my Crabbe's got um idk if its a possibility or not.

Yeah, thankfully it's not a reef right now...though I have a few xenias, leathers and nems in there. It can definitely cause an ammonia spike depending on water volume but from what i've researched, it's the toxins it releases that causes the real damage. Obviously, toxins can't really be read with tests for those common params we all know. Very cool things are perking up!

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So seems like the tank has finally rebound but not with out a few casualties, our fellow corals lost in the latest apocalypse are the following :

Green birdsnest
Neon green birdnest
Purple digi
Green digi
Tri color.
huge purple monti
large pacillaporra
And large green slimmer

But everything else survived and is looking great, i would like to replace the corals above so if anyone has something in the list for sale let me i may be interested.

Thanks!!!
Derek
303-718-3484

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I came up to get those damsels a while back you gave me a ton of a Monti cap. It's red in color, but someone else called it purple... Do you need some back?

I've got a bunch of green digi and even more Idaho grape (purple) monti. Let me know if you'd like some. I'll give you frags for free but I always love a good trade!

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I saw dereks tank tonight and it does not look bad at all and there is no byropsis so even though one sea hare caused some sps death is say the tank still looks astonishing

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep it seems they are every bit as touchy as the horror stories i hear. All the damage in my tank was caused by one sea hare death, the other is still live and doing well... im not sure what killed him and thats what worries me cuz i would much rather know what caused it then go on unknowingly.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dbarnes;169974 said:
Yep it seems they are every bit as touchy as the horror stories i hear. All the damage in my tank was caused by one sea hare death, the other is still live and doing well... im not sure what killed him and thats what worries me cuz i would much rather know what caused it then go on unknowingly.

I'd like to know as well! ;) I think we've gone through 4 of them now. Most seem to die from starvation once they've done their job in peoples tanks. Unfortunately, mine didn't seem to do anything as there is algae EVERYWHERE!