out of controll algae

i have seen a difference between that one and the red sea i have in my 90g i would like to get anther one if the price is right
know could i be running my Refugium to slow if i had to guess it is running about half gallon an hr. is that to slow

tell me what you think i am moving 2255 gallons of water every hr. to break it down that is 41 times every hr.i am rolling my 55g is that to much

that is 3 power heads,protein skimmer,refugium,and sump that is where and why because i can and adding a bigger sump and more power heads for sps and lps

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm probably wrong, but [URL="http://reviews.ebay.com/Diatom-Filters-All-about-them_W0QQugidZ10000000001619105]Diatoms![/URL]. I was going to make a correlation between your source water and too many silicates. It was the brown stuff that was on top of your sand that got me thinking.

Looking at your original pics again, it looks like some cyano or dinos have started, possibly? Have you considered getting your water tested by AquaMedic? They are in CO, and test for a lot of stuff. $35 for 14 tests.

I'm no expert though. Where's Jon when you need him?

you have brought up some good ideas so i am looking for a place here that can test my water and let me know what is in it living in grand junction my resources are limited on where i can go

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Diotoms are the slight brown film that can develop on the sand, rock, and glass, not at all bad, many animals graze on it all day long.
Try increasing the oxygenation of the water, and cutting back to actinic only for a week or two.(if you can)
Also take the frag rack out if you can, algae will grow on plastic very quickly, (almost any marine algae and coral will), I moved mine to the sand, and while its higher maintenance, I lose less frags over all compared to the racks covered in bad algae that the grazers cannot get to.

yes i did find a dead fish in there and no i didn't take apart the tank yet i have got most of the algae cleared up but still have a lot there i have added anther power head
for more water movement and turned out my daylights i am feeding twice a week the growth of the algae has slowed down but still growing so do i continue down this path
or go down anther path and should i do a 100%water change and start over please help with this if you can before i do that will brittle stars eat this algae i know that they eat
cyano but will they eat diatoms

just to give an update on the algae problem i started with about a month ago i come to be leave was caused by a dead fish which i be leaved caused my nutrients to go up
through all of the good ideas that was given to i be leave helped a lot the algae is all but gone still have some there and the clean up crew is starting to clean up the rest
thank you for all your help

My CUC consist 1; Xlarge turbo snail 10; nassarius snails 2; emerald crabs and a lot of brittle star fish. Live stalk is a mated pair of gold band maroon clowns 1; three bar damsel 2; yellow tail damsels
and a lawnmower blennie for corals there is 5; SPS, 2; LPS, some mushrooms Kenya tree star polyps and zoas also i am rolling my tank 52.54 times an hr. which calculates to 2890 gallons an hr.
to give you an idea of what i have. For power heads 2; at 270 1; at 400 and 1; at 750 that there is 1690 gallons an hr. return pump at 850 gallons an hr. the refuguim is at 225 G. per hr.
the protein skimmer is at 125 G hr. per coral life this does not include the sump