Par Meter VS Seneye

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
DO IT TODAY! I WANT TO KNOW!...maybe santa will bring me one...GO GO GO!

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am really frigging curious as to the results as well....

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Updates on overall happiness?

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
Works for what I bought it for - the PAR meter. I only plug it in every now and then for temp and PH, once the alk part gets released, Ill use it more for that. But for the $135 par meter, it is doing its job.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you tested it against any other PAR meters yet?

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
No, I bought it more for bulb changes on my tank, or measuring someone elses tank when getting coral from them. I expect it to read higer than Apogee's as they underead blue light by 10-20%.

I thought it was interesting that you say apogee gives a false reading on blue light. I hadn't heard this before so I looked into it and couldn't find any sources other than a couple of forum posts that state this.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
Tripple T;131277 said:
I thought it was interesting that you say apogee gives a false reading on blue light. I hadn't heard this before so I looked into it and couldn't find any sources other than a couple of forum posts that state this.
We've seen there isnt any changing of your mind once its made up. But what what Ive read from people that have listened to Sanjay speak, he quoted it around 15%.

From Apogee site "The blue lens improves the spectral response to more accurately measure all wavelengths of light. The logging capability of the meter allows you to monitor light levels on a half hour basis for 99 measurements and stores a daily total for over three months."

So at one time there was an issue.

Either way, the $135 par meter serves my purpose to see change in par from one light or tank to another, measured with this device.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
I dont know why I bother with you, but here is a comparision from a li-cor to apogee, apogee reads 12% low on a 20k bulb. Not a big deal, as long as your not trying to compare apples to oranges.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/7/review

Once again I feel the apogee is close enough and so is the seneye. I like what I paid for the seneye and it does a great job doing what I bought it for. YMMV

In all honesty I think u are always well read I on topics. That's why when u posted that I had to look it up. I figured u just knew something I didn't. I talked to apogee when I bought it and they said nothing about that though so if it had been I would have been ****ed.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
I figure there will be some differences. So anytime I read someone elses par readings I take it with a grain of salt. Same with someone using a seneye.

I've actually found that there are alot of variables that really alter the values. For example if you turn the sensor 10 degrees It will change quite a bit ( like 20%). So while I like my meter for a general idea of what my par is I don't think it is trustable for precise readings. I mostly use mine to make sure par isn't too low in areas. It seems to be more consistent at levels below 150. When it's above 300 values swing wildly with small movements of the sensor. Senye looks cool once they work out the bugs I might get one. Anyone want an apogee for 300$ lol?

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
Exactly, when I went from 20k to 10k par went from 200 to 500, thats the info I wanted to know. Or where its 300 for an acro, vs 100 for a granulosa.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good to see you guys playing nice. =)

I like the idea of the seneye for a back up ph reading and light meter. Guess its time to locate one as curiosity has gotten the best of me on this one.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sort of off topic, but with all that being said. Do granulosa need less light then most SPS?

Sure would be a cool thread to start, using different peoples SPS placements with their PAR readings. I know every tank is different and some people grow corals dang near in the dark and others need super bright light, but it could in turn be very helpful for many of us.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tripple T;131377 said:
Boogie look for the reef2reef thread on Senye. Peeps are having trouble with the ph meter being inaccurate and un calibrateable
DOH! pop goes my bubble. lol